Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Lee football carousel still rolling

I don't think that Wynn ever played with calton, day, or wilder. I can remember reading about him at tech when those guys were still in school. They were very competitive from 89-98. They were in the playoffs every year but definitely under-achieved. That was without yearly coaching changes and a solid staff.
    n/a

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think Wynn's last year was '96.

Jimmy Martin (who played at ETSU with Calton) and Justin Chambers were a couple of other good ones off those '97-'98 teams.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just a thought- I saw a Jonesville middle school team play about 2000. They were running a 3 wide set a good part of the game, still got beat by kids who ran between the tackles and knew who to block and to wrap-up tackles. If the head coach at the high school gets kids like this, he has to teach basics. Sometimes you need to take care of your job, and the coaches at the younger ages need to get basics before getting fancy. It worked for Cummins, Turner and Robbins.
    We'll keep the lights on for you.
    Spuds

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I got my enrollment figures from Mike twigg. I figured they were accurate. Maybe not.

Did Robby Diggs ever play football? My God man. He could jump Lol.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My mistake on Wynn. I thought he graduated with Calton, but it was the year before. He redshirted at Tech the fall of 97 which should have been Calton's SR year.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Those three years (96-98) saw a good number of players go on to play collegiately too. Wynn at Va Tech, Calton and Martin at ETSU, Satterfield at VMI and Emory & Henry, Cantor and Adam Mosely also both at E&H, Buchanan at Ferrum, Joey Carroll also got to play on the '98 team too I think...he went on to Concord and is now Marion's football coach. Probably forgetting some others but all I can think of right now. Matt Young was a good tight end on those teams, he played basketball at Wise. Mikhael Tabor was a receiver/db, played baseball at VI. Merle Middleton was another good lineman off those teams. Wynn and Calton were also drafted by NFL teams, Wynn by the Colts and Calton by the Steelers.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Kotite View Post
    I got my enrollment figures from Mike twigg. I figured they were accurate. Maybe not.

Did Robby Diggs ever play football? My God man. He could jump Lol.

I asked again. The reason, Pennington High had such high enrollment figures is because they included 8th grade in that building so it was 8-12 being compared to 9-12 at Lee. Still, hard to believe our area has seen better days 20 years ago than now

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beamer_ball View Post
    Those three years (96-98) saw a good number of players go on to play collegiately too. Wynn at Va Tech, Calton and Martin at ETSU, Satterfield at VMI and Emory & Henry, Cantor and Adam Mosely also both at E&H, Buchanan at Ferrum, Joey Carroll also got to play on the '98 team too I think...he went on to Concord and is now Marion's football coach. Probably forgetting some others but all I can think of right now. Matt Young was a good tight end on those teams, he played basketball at Wise. Mikhael Tabor was a receiver/db, played baseball at VI. Merle Middleton was another good lineman off those teams. Wynn and Calton were also drafted by NFL teams, Wynn by the Colts and Calton by the Steelers.

Tabor was good baseball player. Matt Young was I was thinking of when I said Day earlier actually. I remember his dad coaching basketball for their LL teams at Pennington when we were playing against each other.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Look out, you said the magic words, little league coach. Next in line, hahaha. They've had some great athletes throughout the years. It's a shame. They've slipped through before some current ones could see it and strive to follow them and do better, or at least wear it out trying.
    n/a

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would like to see Lee get things figured out. That running back this yr was special. I hated to see him get lost in a bad system.
    GO VOLS