Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone running a Type 46 SET on their ALTECs, 604 / VOTT?

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is anyone running a Type 46 SET on their ALTECs, 604 / VOTT?

Hi, is there anyone out there running a Type 46 as a Finals tube on ALTEC 604's or VOTTs?

What else have you tried, and what is your opinion, description, of how the Type 46 plays the ALTEC speaker?

Thanks in advance. I am thinking of soon building a two-stage Direct Coupled 46 amp, have it designed. Didn't care for 45 SET on my A7-800s, as the 45 tube exhibits a shallow ( but very broad ) sucked-out midrange. A tube problem, that the JJ 2A3-40 very solved nicely.

Thanks !!

Jeff ... Low Ohms.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Is anyone running a Type 46 SET on their ALTECs, 604 / V

Moderator, please remind members about the not so obvious OT rule which is buried in a moderator decision in an old post. Most more-recent members wouldn't be aware of such. High-time for the promised forum rules be delivered and posted as a 'sticky'.
    Last edited by mah; February 16th, 2017 at 01:30 AM. Reason: 'members' replaces 'Jeff', removed a general posting question
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    Moderator, please inform Jeff Medwin about the not obvious OT rule which is buried in a moderator decision in an old post. Most more-recent members wouldn't be aware of such. High-time for the promised forum rules be delivered and posted as a 'sticky'.

Also, what is your view of 'thread-bombing'?
    Mah, your post here is counter-productive, and mean spirited. It lowers the quality of the Altec User Board experience. It's a borderline personal attack, and it speaks volumes about you. But, thanks for giving me something useful to post about. Here's a big smile for you.

Neither the owner, the members, or the moderation should tolerate this for one second. Wake up people!
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I'm curious what the OT rule is. I assumed from reading other's posts that if you wanted to make an off topic thread (not directly about Altec) you just put OT in the thread title.

Senior Hostboard Member endeeinn's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Actually I'd like to hear any responses to the question. Thanks.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    I'm curious what the OT rule is. I assumed from reading other's posts that if you wanted to make an off topic thread (not directly about Altec) you just put OT in the thread title.
    Heck, Thanks for your posts Elitopus. This IS very much "On Topic" . The worst part of the ALTEC's audio chain, is not the speaker, but its the poor sounding , poor performing audio amplifier, which the speaker reflects back to one's ears. Every Flaw.

I know of one highly-respected Father-Son audiophile team, that uses Type 46 tubes in 2017, on their High Efficiency speakers, ALTEC and / or similar. That is none other than David Vorhis and his audiophile son, Michael. Nice folks, and plenty smart too, audio-wise. Davis is an attorney. Decades ago, he wrote " The Last PAS " a Dyna PAS-3 preamp modification article in, I think it was " The Audio Amateur ".

What I was wanting to see, is, if anyone else has ALTECS and is using Type 46 SET amps on them.

LOL, it MAY be one of the two or three very best sounding / performing tubes to use on these speakers. Doesn't THAT have " everything " to do with owning ALTEC speakers???

I won't know about 46s directly, 'till I build a pair of such amps and give it a listen. But, if someone has done it before me, using ALTECS, I'd love to hear their input. I've designed a two stage, all direct-coupled circuit this past weekend, which truly looks beautiful to me, on paper.

In 2015 and early 2016, I used Type 45 SET amps on my VOTTS, and I can NOT recommend Type 45 tubes at all. They have a shallow but broad suck-out, throughout the entire midrange, that never made my VOTTs sound great, until I "popped" in JJ 2A3-40s into the Type 45 amp 's tube sockets, and let her rip !! It is a flaw of the " highly regarded" Type 45 tube, and not my amp or speaker.

WE all have the right speaker...NOW, its a question of HOW do we best implement it ?

Thats what this post was about. Thanks, someone may have direct experience and will comment.

Low Ohms Jeff Medwin

Junior Hostboard Member BigScottinVA's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jeff, I have a 45 SET made by Rankin @ Wavelength Audio running my A5's and it sounds really good.....BUT.....I actually haven't tried another amp....SO I'm very curious about your proposition and may have to try a few different amps.
    I really always wanted to use the 845's that Stronzer (sp) used at BelCanto in a write up in SP years ago....don't quote me on any of that, but that was my recollection.

I did build the Hiraga X over - they make A5's sound well balanced.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigScottinVA View Post
    Jeff, I have a 45 SET made by Rankin @ Wavelength Audio running my A5's and it sounds really good.....BUT.....I actually haven't tried another amp....SO I'm very curious about your proposition and may have to try a few different amps.
    I really always wanted to use the 845's that Stronzer (sp) used at BelCanto in a write up in SP years ago....don't quote me on any of that, but that was my recollection.

I did build the Hiraga X over - they make A5's sound well balanced.
    Only a very small percentage of SET amps are actually good enough cut the mustard for me on ALTECS, same with P-P.

Do this : Go over to the Audio Asylum, and get on their SET Asylum. Do a word search for "46" and READ what ( ex-45 ) tube users say about the 46.

When I popped in a JJ 2A3-40 in place of the Type 45 tube, on VOTTs, ( and run as a 45, electronically ) I KNEW instantly, I had been wasting my time...over a year, in audio, with SET 45.

Forget about lusting after 845s !! They require a three stage amp, and the extra amplifier stage loses fidelity. Forget about three stage tube amps, in general, if you are " going" for it, best possible results.

Also, there is NO need for an 845 amp on a well set up ( well wired, etc ) ALTEC speaker. The whole beauty of an A7, 604, etc is the efficiency is high enough, such that you can easily use the BEST sounding of tube amps, which, IF done right, will be a 3 Watt or less SET. A Watt and a half, IF done right, is even fine. Hence, my query into who is using Type 46s as Finals, and what do they think of it.

"IF" is a big word my Daddy used to say to me . :-)

Low Ohms .....Jeff
    Last edited by LowOhms; February 15th, 2017 at 02:48 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Bowtie, you have been around long enough to remember that, out-of-the blue, the OT rule was imposed on me when I started a thread asking for member's feedback on using solid-state amps with Altec speakers. The definition of OT was clarified and the use of OT in post titles has been accepted since that time.

Because there aren't formally documented rules for this forum, how the heck are new members supposed to know them without reminders? I feel that should be done by the moderator, thus my request. I have amended the post to what it should have read in the first instance.

This is not the first time that you have presumed the role of moderator. Maybe I missed your appointment?

Back to Jeff's thread which asks an interesting question.
    Last edited by mah; February 15th, 2017 at 08:08 PM. Reason: re amendment of previous post
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    Bowtie, you have been around long enough to remember that, out-of-the blue, the OT rule was imposed on me when I started a thread asking for member's feedback on using solid-state amps with Altec speakers. The definition of OT was clarified and the use of OT in post titles has been accepted since that time.

Because there aren't formally documented rules for this forum, how the heck are new members supposed to know them without reminders? I feel that should be done by the moderator, thus my request.

This is not the first time that you have presumed the role of moderator. Maybe I missed your appointment?

Back to Jeff's thread which asks an interesting question.

Mah,

I see from above, you had a prior issue here. I am a new poster.

I am sorry if I created a problem. I was just trying to get some information, on parts associated with the ALTEC speaker, to make the system RUN and run well. To me, it seemed like a fairly straight forward thing to discuss, within the normal realm of an audio hobby conversation.

I will go by whatever any moderator suggests. No problem to me. Just because I designed a DC circuit for it this weekend ( called "courtship" ) I am NOT married to a Type 46 tube !! :-). Actually, I am married, to a JJ 2A3-40 these days, lovely , lively tube, glad to have ten of them. Is that bigamy ???

Cheers,

Jeff Low Ohms

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast