PDA

View Full Version : abuses of the English language

phantas~
July 27th, 2001, 04:54 PM
Lets just say that anything doesn't go. You's can't just place an apostrophe anywhere because it loses the meaning you intended (presuming you had one in the first place)...ah...maybe thats an error.
Please post your particular annoyances for my delight.

~~CloverKat~~
July 27th, 2001, 05:05 PM
~phanter, you are funny, You make me laff! http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
May the Road Rise up to Meet You...
May the Wind Be Always at Your Back....
May the Sun Shine Warm Upon Your Face....

phantas~
July 27th, 2001, 05:21 PM
or..?...as the incredible string band once sang?.....
Maythelongtimesunshineuponyoualllovesurroundyouand the purelightwithingyouguideyourwayon?

~~CloverKat~~
July 27th, 2001, 05:26 PM
or, mayyouneverhavetotraveldownwindfromafartingelephan t!

------------------
May the Road Rise up to Meet You...
May the Wind Be Always at Your Back....
May the Sun Shine Warm Upon Your Face....

phantas~
July 27th, 2001, 05:26 PM
is also curious about deliberate miss spellings such as laff for laugh *L*

~~CloverKat~~
July 27th, 2001, 05:38 PM
it's only a deliberate misspelling in chatworld. i think it's because of the overuse of phonetical spellings. i dunno, (ahem, excuse me DON'T KNOW) sometimes it's just shorter!

now, to actually post on your topic.

have you noticed that (especially when people are mad on here) that they will misuse words such as NO for KNOW. it makes me LAUGH when i see someone having a hissy fit, and not making a bit of sense! (or since, *LOL*)

phantas~
July 27th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Well...yes..and I have seen the same error in legal documents recently.....( of course spellcheckers dont pick it up)..but..apart from lazy chatters (prolly)...that doesnt explain the poverty of the use of language which is the mediumm here.....the people who do enjoy words can have ball here...but few manage to use it...a/s/l? *S*

~~CloverKat~~
July 27th, 2001, 05:58 PM
*LOL* yes, or my personal favorite...

if you want to talk dirty press 123...

OMG, what the hell...how about just post each other...

can ANYONE explain the meaning of PRESS 123 or 6969?? PLEASE??

and if you have used such a tactic, please confess your sins to the rev.!

Mystic(F)uel
July 27th, 2001, 07:16 PM
*walks in, looks around, tugs down on my skirt, turns around & walks back out*

Xenia
July 27th, 2001, 07:33 PM
personally..i do alot of mispellin..on purpose that is...prolly cuz its fasta and also cuz i chat with my true awff the wall persoanlity and accent....i know i am an awesome linguist,writer and speaker...i dont have to braodcast it all the time...i think most ppl can tell when its intentional,a typo, or when sumbody is just lingually challanged...there is a time and a place for everything and i personally dont think chat is hardly the place i need to watch my writing etiquette and fleX my grammar skills,i think most ppl agree,they also come here to just relaX...altho...i would be pretty irate if my legal documents were filled with typos....but thats a different story...... http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/tongue.gif...what gets on my nerves is when ppl try to seem sooooo intelligent in chat that they start trippin over theyre words....its not nessecary..if ur smart ,ur smart..ppl can tell by ur demeanor,not by the big words you use...

------------------
wont you listen to me Sam he's a devil not a man and he spreads the burning sand with water......... cool.......... clear.......... water

Xenia
July 27th, 2001, 07:37 PM
and clova..........that press 123 shit...we both already discussed one night how thats soooooooo annoyin*LOL...who eva does that anyway...i think we do to mess with them..but well press 321..instead of 123..or 96..instead of 69...we silly gul frend*L http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
wont you listen to me Sam he's a devil not a man and he spreads the burning sand with water......... cool.......... clear.......... water

Non Phixion
July 27th, 2001, 08:18 PM
well phant u knew i was gonna post on this thread..... i guess the reason that people use slang in chat is to speak as tho we would in r/t.... i mean when i say to someone.... do ya wanna get some beers tonight.... that would be the way i say it in real time..... sounds more relaxed.... rather then... do you want to get some beers tonight? kinda sounds like i'm a robot or sumthin... it just doesn't go with my personality... it would be one hell of a boring place if we all talked the same.... and goes the same for u.... the way u use your "proper english" is what gives you your character in chat

phantas~
July 27th, 2001, 08:25 PM
well non..I am not averse to a few beers at all.....but what bothers me is that people use the language without knowing the meaning of what they say...and I don't mean you ..nor easier typing.

Non Phixion
July 27th, 2001, 08:31 PM
well i'll be the first to admit i don't know what i'm sayin most of the time.... but aslong as i'm understood i get by... *L

phantas~
July 27th, 2001, 08:47 PM
Non..I dont think I accept that...free form speech isnt the same as free meaning speech..and ...it is intentional....
what I am complaining about ..is about people who dont mean what they say...it all happens on the surface..with nnothing down below...no meaning..no nothing except buzz...I am not talking about the surface structure but the deep one...

(something to think about at the cottage) *L*

Non Phixion
July 27th, 2001, 09:23 PM
oh now i get it..... kinda reminds me of some of the daytime chatters in the pool *L.... and i hear ya... i don't really understand fully the way you put it but i'm assumin it's those peeps that talk from the mouth rather then the heart?... if thats not what your talkin bout then i'm lost.... and yeah damn right ya gonna have me thinkin bout this now *very puzzled look *L

~Deb~
July 27th, 2001, 10:08 PM
Umm..phan...ya mean..like the word..

.............TATA"S?................

Sorry ..I just hadda..*LOL*

phantas~
July 27th, 2001, 10:46 PM
*[email protected]*..the word breasts is quite fine with me , though I frequently mistype it..
thouhg...I dont know about you CANADIANS *L*

Sniffer
July 27th, 2001, 10:57 PM
i be canadian... so what's yer point .... eh? *LOL*

Sniffer
July 27th, 2001, 11:08 PM
i had to come back here because this is one of my pet peeves. spelling mistakes i can handle. but bad grammar irks me to no end. call me a snob if you will, but i can NOT carry on a conversation with someone who can't string together a logical and legible sentence. like... using "a" instead of "an"... "have you ever had a orgasm?" ... or ... "was" instead of "were" ... "where was you last night?" ... and "seen" instead of "saw" ... "i seen them yesterday" ... i could go on and on but.... it's ticking me off *L*
there is NOTHING i find more annoying than people who spout about how educated and intelligent they are, yet they can't speak or spell above third grade level. if you truly have not learned to speak properly then so be it. but ... if you claim to be educated ... show it. if you have spent good money and/or several years learning the language... show it when you open your mouth.
k.... i'm shutting up now http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Sniffer (edited July 27, 2001).]

phantas~
July 27th, 2001, 11:17 PM
well...I could never cybEr with a woman who couldnt make herself understood (by definition.). One can grunt..but then ...when you move up a level or two....grammar really does count. I must say..words turn me on...because the brain really is the sexiest organ...and if you cant use it...well..Im not interested.

Më£ïñÐa
July 27th, 2001, 11:41 PM
you are ever so welcome to teach a bit of stuff if you want.....
" i " for one would appreciate the explanations of the different usages of there their an ther ect ect....
..and other words like that..

i never took a typing lesson...
..i use two fingers looking down at the keys.....
....type'n dont come easy to me....
...i hafta figure out what i want to say....how to say it......then if i can spell it ..which words i can use if i dont feel like looking it up......
<FONT COLOR=#FF80C0>...to me....i'm looking for the fastes way possible to say what i mean..
..and hopefully its understandable......</font>
so i have to say.....fuck spelling...
...if its spelled (spelt) wrong..
..use your brains and sound it out..
.its how i came up with the spelling anyways......

AND the running sentances...
when i first started chatting...i didnt see a whole lot of it....
but its all i've ever done....

THEN theres ..melbonics... http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
put'm up??
ax'n = asking
on'm = on them
theres some really good 1ns, i jus cant think of any at the moment....
and all it really has to do with is not knowing if you should leave the e, b4 adding the ing ...on a word... http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

all in all...people have told me .... that i seem rather .."slow"...or "not real smart"..
because of the way i type in chat.....
*L*...so??

But it is quite impressive to me..
to see a good conversation going...
with proper structure and proper spelling..
..i sit in awe most of the time....
Heidi, RED, n J, and Leo are fun to watch..
*L* to see if you can catch a mistake...

phantas~
July 27th, 2001, 11:44 PM
*S*..try this mel http://web.mala.bc.ca/guppy/engl111/diction_skills.htm

phantas~
July 27th, 2001, 11:47 PM
and ..its simple...htere is a place which is not here
their belongs to them
and they're is short for they are

~Twi~
July 27th, 2001, 11:54 PM
I never was good at english *LOL*

Non Phixion
July 27th, 2001, 11:57 PM
mel if u was any different i wouldn't like ya..... i uderstand ya.... and who's to say we arn't the smart ones?.... i can take what u say and figure it out... and u can take what i say and figure it out.... so we kinda gotta language of our own..... and those that can't understand it don't need ta listen.... cuz we get by just fine.... spellin don't matter.... neither does grammer.... it's the message bein sent that counts.... so we be doin aight

*throws all the g's away from "ing" cuz there just ain't no point in keepin em *VBS

Non Phixion
July 28th, 2001, 12:07 AM
oh and btw mel.... language is just a small part of bein smart... just cuz ya can't say it properly don't mean ya arn't thinkin it properly.... language is more for show... and phants right about the whole cyber thing.... guess it makes it better or somethin.... but in r/t a touch can mean more then any word you could ever use to describe it.... so i get by juuuuuuuust fine *G

Sniffer
July 28th, 2001, 12:28 AM
hmmm... i'll clarify... it only annoys the shit out of me if you are trying to use the fancy language to pretend you are something you are not *L* like FOAD does *G*

The Reverend Dark Angel
July 28th, 2001, 01:19 AM
Engliss? What id dis languad? Typoong? I do understand not this word. Permayhaps I be Typoongly Challinged in de Engliss Languad?

------------------
If the Master does not approve, neither do you.

*Leo the Lioness*
July 28th, 2001, 02:47 AM
thank you mel http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

actually, i rely on my backspace key so much, it's ridiculous, because i'm sort of a spelling snob like ~phantas *L......i <font color=red>dont</font> like it when i send something out misspelled, even though it happens a lot

alot annoys me.....it's "a---->lot", two separate words (pun intended here http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/tongue.gif )

it's "your", showing possession of that baseball, not "you're", because "you're" is a contraction of "you" and "are".....*LOL*

i get kind of lazy sometimes, like leaving out apostrophes, (see the red word "dont" above *G).....or sometimes i make the possessive error i just described, and i wont realize it til later, or not at all......but if i happen to catch a typo, i'll go back and correct it *L.....i HAVE to......i often wish i could go into someone else's post and mark it up with a red pen *L.......a lot of times i comb over my posts carefully before clicking submit, just to make sure it's spelled correctly and the usages are all proper

when i read other people's typos, depending on what they are and/or what's being said, i crack up, because for some reason i find them to be hysterical at times http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/biggrin.gif......i also find it kinda funny when people omit entire words from their posts because their brains are going faster than their fingers! *L.......i can overlook them mostly....i notice them, but i won't always say something about it......

i do the deliberate misspellings that Xenia described, such as "on toppa you", or "cuppa cawfee"...*LOL......that really picked up after Rant first heard the accent he claims i have *shoots him a look*.....i'd say "dog" and he'd repeat "dawg" right after me, so when we came back into the pool or on ICQ, i'd start misspelling things to make fun of either of our accents.....like he says "i cahhhhn't be ahhhhsed" ( "i can't be arsed")......around that time you saw me use "aw" words in chat more often......cawfee, sawlt, sawng, awf, dawg, etc..... http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/wink.gif

my favorite "melbonic":

o......i.......c......k......s*

mel wouldn't be mel without her chatstyle!! *messes up mel's hair*

oh and if someone who's either typographically challenged, or just plain illiterate, makes an attempt to belittle me in chat, one of my favorite comebacks is "you can't even SPELL 'bitch', so shut the fuck up!"......hehehe

and i wonder why i've been called "condescending".... http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/tongue.gif.....of course, that word has been misspelled when it's been hurled at me, which takes all the credibility right out of it *G

*reads over post 19 times before clicking "Submit"*

minnow~
July 28th, 2001, 01:48 PM
I think words are sexy.

The biggest turn on to me about chat is the use of language. I've long since stopped caring about the abbreviations people use in chat and actually find it quite interesting how there is a "chat language" which is common in almost every chat room I've ever been in. A sign of the times.

I'm not a spelling nor grammar snob. Doesn't really bother me as long as I can understand what is being said, but I do love it when someone flips me on my arse with some clever insight, witty comment or intelligent response....(and if they spelled/punctuated it correctly all the better *L*)

The thing that bothers me most about the abuse of language in the chat rooms is when people use profanity gratuitiously...like the word "fuck"...."you fucking asshole"..."I'm going to fuck you up you fuckhead" *L*.....to me...a fuck is a fuck and it's best used (preferably with your lover) like...."fancy a fuck ?".....or "fuck me baby"...so quit throwing that word around like it's a bad thing or something *L*....same goes for cunt!

*S*...ok...I'm done *L*

Myra
July 28th, 2001, 02:02 PM
words are words.... spelled right or wrong.. who really cares? If the point is made... I dunno... I shorten my words so I can get thru what I wanna say faster. The fact is even if Sandwich or sammich or Through or thru... or whatever is spelled wrong...still means the same... http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/biggrin.gif YAY..... I put in 3 cents this time!!!

------------------
Everyone thinks i am insane.... all but my friends deep inside the earth......

heidi!
July 28th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Well I'm a Newfoundlander..For all Canadians they mostly know that means we speak our own language..*G*
As for chat..I dont pay attention to actual grammer unless Im at work or typing a letter for business purpose...I type 60wpm...When im in chat its faster cause I dont pay attention...Thats the last place I care if someone "gets what im sayin"...I know how to spell..."cock"..."member"...."little angry one inch"...I can spell "Fuck" and "Oh baby"...I can also spell "fuck off asshole"..So in my experience thats all I have ever needed in there..*G*

*Leo the Lioness*
July 28th, 2001, 08:03 PM
mitch loves me so much he can't stand it

Sniffer
July 29th, 2001, 03:21 AM
*smooches myra* i intentionally misspell a lot of words in chat. it's intended to reflect my "accent" or my own personal way of speaking. i guess what gets to me is when people are trying to insult you by trying to sound more intelligent than you are... and they have no clue what the words they are saying really mean or how they are spelled. i say... be yourself. insult with your own style and you will be much more effective *LOL* and i will be much more impressed.

DARKsyde
July 29th, 2001, 03:41 AM
Word's are used diffrently around the world. Some peole are very talented in the use of the english laguage, And then agian some are not. I for one know that I mess up every once in awhile. But I don't really give a damn, As long as my point get's across.

------------------
Darkness souround's you from all point's from beyond.From child birth to even death. G.O.L

Mitch1
July 29th, 2001, 03:55 AM
I misspell things A LOT *L LEO* and I try to correct myself immediately but something that bothers me is misuse of these common words:

They're- they are
There- location "over there"
Their- posession "their team"

Too-also
Two-2
To-lots of things but NOT "also" or "2"

You're- you are
Your- posession (shudders @ agreeing with Leo)

I guess my instruction has made me a bit of a grammar snob. *L*

phantas~
July 29th, 2001, 08:06 PM
I am surprised at the post on this thread...which either mostly accuse me of being some sort of snob or think that I am complaining about spelling...!!!!!!
Especially with typos I dont expect people to be perfect at spelling...thats a performance limitation...

What I was complaining about was the lack of attention to meaningful dialogue at times here....and its amusing consequences. Frankly i dont care that much about the rest...but..if you cant have a meaninful dialogue here then whats the point of coming?....

As for canadians..>!..*L*...and only Deb understands that...dont get huffy *W*

phantas~
July 29th, 2001, 08:47 PM
This is from another forum but demonstrates my point (apologies to Rant who never intended his post for this purpose)
"Let's change tact here, do the people who are overweight here want to lose weight? and if so what is standing in your way?"
Now Rant!...you need to read my english language thread....you see..its about meaning...and you have given me a good example....."lets change tact"..??????..what the hell does this mean?..I presume you meant...(or are you totally tactless) lets change tack...as in lets sail to starboard rather than to port...or vice versa.../..and that using such an expression may seem archaic...but actually enriches our speech and shows us where it has come from...that is worth having...either way ..to say lets change tact meants NOTHING which is relevant here....and I am glad I pointed this out before people wasted their time replying *LOL*

heidi!
July 29th, 2001, 08:52 PM
Yes but English is Rant's second language..*G*

July 29th, 2001, 08:53 PM
Bitch...*G

CrazySam
July 29th, 2001, 09:02 PM
Hmmm, I thought he abbreviated "tactics", as in lets change tactics here. WHo cares about a silly ship

phantas~
July 29th, 2001, 09:44 PM
rant...*L*

*Leo the Lioness*
July 30th, 2001, 01:13 AM
you're right phantas~, Rant doesn't know the meaning of the word--->TACT

http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

phantas~
July 31st, 2001, 07:26 PM
Upon reflection I have decided that most of what I see that I dont like is due to ignorance........not mistakes..but deliberate ignorance that is made a virtue of..like..people who come in under a fancy name they cant spell or dont know the meaning of........and people who put apostrophes where they dont belong ..leaving the word belonging to no one.
There is nothing wrong with expressing yourself or making mistakes...but there is a real language out there which means in certain ways...and you cant just go about making what you want of it. That's like buying a famous painting and rubbing poster paints over it ..and claiming it as art and the equivalent of the original..it just aint so..and no amount of saying so will make it so...so there! *L*

rotten
July 31st, 2001, 08:43 PM
Phantas you're coming off as a real snob. I don't sit there thinking somehow people are less intelligent or don't have as much to say just because they use incorrect grammar or spelling.

The only time I make fun of a person's spelling is when they call me stupid or insult my intelligence by calling me illiterate. Nitro does that then misspells shit left and right.

I just think it's pretty arrogant to sit there feeling superior over people who can't write as well as others.

Blanca
July 31st, 2001, 09:55 PM
rotten, I dot think phant is saying....its grammar or spelling, i think he is saying content..like what is being talked about....I dont know maybe Im wrong...

hmm like in a cyber

oooh babbeeee ooooh eeyah Im cummin

in stead maybe

Do you know, how you make me feel inside?......when you touch me like this....I get a tornado-like rush over my entire body. etc....

hmm LMAO*...

minnow~
August 1st, 2001, 12:19 AM
yep snail I think Blanca is on to something there...*s*

I had a discussion with phant about this just last night...cos we're both word freaks *s*....love words...play on words...hidden meaning...double entendre....

and I said to him...well you know love...not everyone in there is looking for meaningful chat relationships to which he replied....well....not everyone in there is looking for meaninless ones either....

touche baby *S*

minnow~
August 1st, 2001, 12:24 AM
meaninGless....with a G!!!! *L*

Blanca
August 1st, 2001, 12:38 PM
I definately love words..I write...in a journal everyday..not always spelling correct..or gramatically correct..I write with fever to get an emotion across...so I need to punctuate as needed to make a point..or capitalize..or whatever!

If I dont know a word, I look it up!..and I use it and learn it !...

phantas~
August 1st, 2001, 12:40 PM
Rotten...read what I said and not what you thought I said *looking down my nose at you*
The word ignorant means....to not know.

*Leo the Lioness*
August 1st, 2001, 12:50 PM
http://www.comiczone.com/comics/roseisrose/archive/images/roseisrose2001261080719.gif

hell, i'll post this here too, since it's so fitting http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Blanca
August 1st, 2001, 12:50 PM
my responses arent showing, on my puter...can anyone see em....*pout*

Blanca
August 1st, 2001, 12:54 PM
Yeah read what I say and not what you think I say or want me to say for the sake of rebuttal and argumentation.....etc.

Mystic(F)uel
August 2nd, 2001, 02:07 PM
*uncrosses my legs, adjusts my position, recrosses my legs, turns the page in my book, pushes up my glasses, pats the bun at the back of my head, wets my lips, blows a bubble in my gum, and pulls a small strand of hair from behind my ear to twirl around my finger as i continue reading*

------------------
M&M Twins Rule!! *grinz*

Më£ïñÐa
February 15th, 2004, 07:58 PM
i miss minnow~ an phant~ an the old times...an stuff: (

=Macy=
February 18th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Me Two....I Mrs. Mystic...I haven't talked too her in a really very long time. I wonder how Phant and Minnow are...I still remember how I met minnow....she farted in the pool....and Blanc was drunk ....talking like a Vampire...*L

and for the record....rotten tells me I am the worst speller in history.

phantas~
March 3rd, 2004, 04:29 PM
I wonder too...and where did Mystic go..and Trixi and Taylor too?...Trixi..now there was a speller and grammarian ..she loved a good tale
you have to love the deep structure..the rest is froth and bubble......

phantas~
March 19th, 2004, 08:50 PM
just one more thing..
I want to register my compaint at the greatest abuse in current use..
the almost constant governement references to so called INTELLIGENCE SERVICES

it appears that nothing could be further from the truth

demon chloe
March 19th, 2004, 10:03 PM
i have no compaints...

rotten
March 20th, 2004, 01:56 AM
hmmm someone is posting as me and has my passwords. cool trick. that wasnt me

<font color="#9900FF" size="1">[ March 21, 2004 02:44 AM: Message edited by: rotten ]</font>