PDA

View Full Version : Video rentals

ellanoize
April 21st, 2006, 03:42 AM
I haven't rented a video for quite a while but My stepdaughter rented a few last weekend.

The Cronicals of Narnia - I had read the books and was surprised at how well the movie followed the books.
The special effects were very well done and beliveable. This looks like a future classic.

Batman, A new Beginning- I love the Dark Knight comic books and finally a movie that does not make a joke out of my favorite Super Hero.
I though it was a bit slow starting, but I really enjoyed this movie, I though the weakest link was Katie Holmes as the DA.
I like how they left the ending as though they planned on a sequel, Which I hope they do in the near future.

Have you rented anything recently that you really liked (or really hated)? Share it with us.

cherrysis
April 27th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Oh yeah Rog,
Loved Narnia ( it was sooo close to what my head saw when I read the book) and Batman begins!!!
We tend to purchase rather than rent...got Chicken Little (Ty loves it)But IMO its no Incredibles or Nemo. I can't wait for the new pixar CaRS!!!

Randy did rent the first season of 24 and Hostel this week. Watched all of 24 and it truly is great...I steered clear of the Hostel flick so far although I love Tarantino!

Sportyfan
April 28th, 2006, 02:22 AM
This doesn't really fall in the rental realm, but I purchased the movie Aeon Flux with Charlize Theron. I never got a chance to see it at the theater like I wanted, so I snagged it on DVD. Although it has very little to do with the original MTV offering, I found it an enjoyable movie with some stunning visuals. After seeing on the TV, I really wish I had been able to make it to the theater for it.

Sportyfan
April 28th, 2006, 02:30 AM
After rereading the posts, I realize there was one on the hate side too. Several people related to me (by law) and a couple of coworkers recommended Rob Zombies "Devil's Rejects" to me. Probably because they know I love a good movie with crazy people. Well the DR wasn't one of them. Although the extra disk of background info was entertaining, I thought the movie itself was less so. The one redeeming feature on there was that the sheriff turned bad. That was a nice touch. Many times I've wondered how much it would take to push someone good over the line to evil. What would be the points that would send someone over the edge. But except for the social commentary, avoid the movie.

ellanoize
April 28th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the review Sporty. Aeon is one I would like to see, but Julie says I'll have to watch it alone (too strange for her).
I like Rob Zombies music, but Devils Rejects ads didn't make me wanna run out & rent it.
The new Mission Impossible looks kinda interesting, I like the action movies.

graemlins/thumbs_up.gif graemlins/thumbs_down.gif

ellanoize
April 28th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Sis graemlins/rose.gif This is for Ty...http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/ellanoize/chickenlittle.jpg

I'm just a big (really big) kid at heart, I love those animated movies. The Incredibles is one of my favorites. On the new box of Fruit Loops, There are some drawings from CARS, as well as a free toy in the package, I like free toys (in a box of cereal costing nearly $4.00) wink.gif

cherrysis
May 3rd, 2006, 03:55 AM
AHHH Rog, Tyler loved the little chicken pic!!!

You're so sweet!!! graemlins/rainbow.gif

ellanoize
May 4th, 2006, 01:00 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/ellanoize/chicken-little-20050829031823203-00.jpg

As sweet as an Orange Soda Pop? cool.gif

<font color="#000000" size="1">[ May 03, 2006 10:04 PM: Message edited by: ellanoize ]</font>

BlackMagicRose
May 28th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I bought Constantine a few weeks ago...I loved it!!! Just bought The Punisher the other day on my way home from school. Have yet to see it. I rarely go to movies or rent them. Usually if my Mom or Dad see them and say they are good or something or friends do I buy them and watch them. It gives me something else to fdo. Besides...John Travolta is in The Punisher and he is one BAD ASS actor. He just exudes this aura of coolness whether he is playing a good guy or a bad guy. Kind of like Nicolas Cage does. It is funny I have a ton of DVD's and the only DVD player I have at home is the one on my computer. I have a good sound system with the comp and a huge monitor so I have like my own little home theater system in here but it is just funny that I don't actually have a DVD player on the main TV....LOL. eek.gif

canadarocks
May 28th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I loved the Devils Rejects but that's my kinda movie..Saw 2 was good..unexpected ending..High Tension was also good...

ellanoize
May 28th, 2006, 04:16 PM
When I was younger, I loved gorey, scarey movies, but now I don't care too much for them, Altho my oldest stepdaughter says I should go see "See No Evil" with Wrestler Kane. She said it was very suspencefull and quite gorey, but a good story....I don't know, I'll have to think about it.

BlackMagicRose, you mentioned two of my favorite actors, Cage & Travolta. I haven't seen Punisher yet, but I'll add it to my list.

I have a DVD in the living room, but I watch a lot of DVDs on my computer too.

By the way, I noticed that you are now listed as a personal board, BMR. Welcome to the neighborhood.

rog

mRs.GaToR
May 28th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I want to see Over the Hedge!

took the lil men to see Hoodwinked 2 months ago!
It sure is a hilarious take on the Riding Hood
story! And you really have to watch it and follow
it to understand what they are doing, but it was
funny!!

Jordan and I rented Wolf Creek, Nanny McPhee and
Waiting...we havent watched them yet.....anyone
see these? Are they any good?

ellanoize
May 30th, 2006, 06:18 PM
My wife likes chick flicks, I like action/suspence movies, so when we watch movies together we usually choose comedy or light movies.

We both agree that we would like to see the new animated movies, Over the Hedge, and Cars. I think Nanny Mcphee would be another one that we could watch & enjoy together

Rogue Angel
May 30th, 2006, 11:44 PM
*sneaks onto your board and prowls around, vowing to come back later when i have more than 5 minutes*.... smile.gif

ellanoize
May 31st, 2006, 02:36 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/ellanoize/dnojz6.gif

Good Morning Rouge Angel, Welcome to my little corner of cyber space.

Have a great day...
roGER

cherrysmum
May 31st, 2006, 09:47 PM
I don't rent..I just go out and buy the things...rental is so high anymore..I just watched King Kong...that was good and long..also In Her Shoes was a good chick flick...and the Life of David Gale with Kevin Spacey was a must watch...a strange movie though..I want to take Chloe to see over the Hedge...and I can't wait for Pixars "CARS"...I bet that will be good.

cherrysis
June 1st, 2006, 01:18 PM
Yep we can't wait for Cars here either!!!

BMR girl I love Constantine...I haven't purchased it yet But have watched it 3 times when we rented it!
I don't mind the gore as long as it make sense in the movie...but horror flicks "just cause" don't work for me anymore.

cherrysis
June 1st, 2006, 01:19 PM
OH and Rog, that movie Hostel...pretty much sucked.

ellanoize
June 2nd, 2006, 12:09 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/ellanoize/pixar_cars.jpg

This seems to be what everyone is waiting for...I like the tow truck

cherrysis
June 3rd, 2006, 03:00 AM
Oh Yeah...Who does the tow truck voice??? I know Speed McQueen is Owen Wilson...gotta go check that out!!!

mRs.GaToR
June 3rd, 2006, 11:38 PM
Nanny McPhee was a great movie!

Wolf Creek was.....different...but good...it is
based on a true story and the ending was very
shocking!

cherrysis
June 5th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I haven't seen either of those mRs. GaTor...I bet the kids would love Nanny McVee though. I can't say that I have even heard of Wolf Creek BUT I love a good suspense flick!!!

ellanoize
June 6th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I heard on CMT that The Tow Truck voice in Cars is Larry The Cable Guy....Git Er Done tongue.gif

cherrysis
June 7th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Yeah I looked it up the other night. The site was fabulous and the movie really does have a great cast.
Paul Newman is doing the Studebaker
Bonnie Hunt is Sally
Cheech Marin is the chevy
I can't wait to see it!

ellanoize
June 11th, 2006, 04:39 AM
I believe I read on another board that Mum has seen Cars, and was a little disappointed.

Hey Mum, howz 'bout a review?

http://home.flash.net/~dadis/pirate/Pirate.jpg

cherrysis
June 13th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Yeah There is no way the pirate flick can bomb!!!

ellanoize
June 14th, 2006, 03:34 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/ellanoize/pirates-of-the-caribbean-fluch-der-.jpg

cherrysis
June 15th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Caught a preview last night...YAY!!!

ellanoize
June 15th, 2006, 11:09 PM
The way I understand it, All three of the Pirate movies were made about the same time, so now we gotta wait another 2 years for #3

I can...The first one was soooo good & I'm really looking forward to this one

http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/urlaub/beach2.gif

ellanoize
July 24th, 2006, 03:08 PM
we rented a couple of videos over the weekend.

For me, I rented The Fantastic 4, It was a good movie with a few slow spots, I did like how they mixed a bit of humor with the serious parts. I didn't care for the actor playing Richard Reed, but I thought the dude from the shield did an excelent job as Ben "The Thing" Grimm. graemlins/thumbs_up.gif

The other One was a repeat rental of The first Pirates movie "The Curse of the Black Pearl". What can I say except Johnny Depp as Captian Jack Sparrow graemlins/thumbs_up.gif

We then rented a couple for Mrs Ella, She rerented one of her all time favorites "Coyote Ugly" and then a comedy that looks pretty funny "She's the Man" with Amanda Bynes. I haven't seen it yet but I think its about a girl that pretends to be her her brother to play on her soccor team.

http://e4u.deltait.com.au/dressed/bek051.gif

cherrysis
July 26th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I enjoyed fantastic 4 too...I haven't seen Coyote Ugly though.

Lately we have been watching alot of cable movies.
Dodgeball: cracks me up all the way around!
Wedding Crahsers: fabulously funny especially Vince Vaugn!
Night before last I caught a wickedly weird movie made in the 80's called "Heathers"... the cast included Winona "stickyfingers" Ryder, Shannon "THE Queen of mean" Daughtry and Christian "never w/o his smokes" Slater. Very crazy movie!

~*Mz.Chievous*~
July 31st, 2006, 01:23 AM
the last few movies I have watched have been
Over the hedge..
the passion of the christ
and the new charle and the chocolate factory

ellanoize
August 17th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Since I have been staying with my sister I have been watching a lot of movies on cable. I finally saw Johnny Depp in Charlie & the Chocolate factory, The Longest Yard with Adam Sandler, and more that my feeble brain won't let me remember wink.gif

rog

cherrysis
August 18th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Saw Final Destination 3...wasn't as good as the 1st two although I did get a giggle out watching my 15 year old son react to the topless girls in the tanning beds movin to t the song Rollar Coaster...it was too funny!!!

ellanoize
August 19th, 2006, 04:29 PM
NEKID (_)(_) Boobies!!! tongue.gif

cherrysis
August 22nd, 2006, 02:58 PM
Yeppers...I actually can amke him blush now simply by singing

"rollar coaster of love say what
boobies boobies boobies rollar coaster whoo hoo hoo hoo hoo"

Saw "Two for the money" a couple of nights ago. I really enjoyed it AND NOT because Matthew had his shirt off alot Yummmmmmmm!!!! Plus DAMN Rene Russo is "52" still smokin hot and Pachino is always incredible to watch...the story was pretty good too!

ellanoize
August 31st, 2006, 07:29 PM
I had to find me a pair of antique rabbit ears for my TV i can now get 2 static filled stations (Abc & NBC).

I have dug out a few old video tapes and watched them lately. My varity is kinda thin, but I watched Godzilla with Matthew Brodwerk (?), Boogie Nights, Dawn of the Dead and lots of wrestling from 97 to 00 tongue.gif