PDA

View Full Version : project sol.

jacen
December 7th, 2001, 10:04 PM
just wanted to share with fellow sol owners my plans for my wrecked sol. first off everything near forward of the motor is trashed. I will be grafting on the frontend off of a 93 civic. for a different look and more options for hoods and bumpers. hood and fenders are trashed so i will be replacing them too. already have some z3 fenders. next I am replacing the stock d16z6 motor with an h22a out of a wrecked prelude. if the fellow still has it. I am hoping to have the motor and most of the body work done by summer to hit the racing season. and i definitly will be wanting to go to a meet and show off the sol. I am going to start a web site to document the progress. If anyone has any ideas,suggestions, or comments i would like to hear them.

later
jacen

------------------

dohc_sol_or
December 11th, 2001, 10:05 PM
That is a big motor. The only bad things I have heard is about weight. The motor is real heavy, so it makes the car understeer a bit more.
If you are good a tuning suspension and get the correct spring rate, I think it could work out. You might want to talk with some guys from Eibach or someplace, they might give you some good advise on what to do.

The only other thing I have heard is about someone wrinkling the shock towers. This was in a civic with a H22 and normal bolt ons. Although it would be prety cool to brag to your friends, "my car has so much torque it wrinkled the shock towers," it would suck to put together the Sol and ruin it with that motor.

Then again, that motor just plain RIPS!!!

Sounds like a cool project, good luck and keep us informed.

------------------
Jason
94 VTEC
CAI, no PS belt
15.27 @ 90.74mph
Team Sol Member #450

jacen
December 12th, 2001, 03:42 AM
yes i have heard about needing a stiffer front suspension. I have skunkworks coilover on it now and kyb agx shocks. the springs in the back are stiffer than the front i might switch then at first to see how that works. thanks for letting me know about that shock tower problem. if that's the case, i'll just reinforce the front end. i hear that the h22 is just a couple hundred pounds heavier. I'm going to do some lightening of the front to help cancel out the weight gain. carbon fiber hood, fiberglass fenders. shave some useless sheetmetal of the front, and relocate the battery to the trunk. the car will be street legal but it will also be my drag race car.

------------------

dohc_sol_or
December 16th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Hey you should check out the rules on relocating the battery. The inspection guys at Woodburn are real shitty about that. I am not sure exactly what the requirment is but it had to be bolted to the unibody or something crazy like that.

Basically if it isn't in the stock location, it has to be extra secure. Like I said, I am not sure what is involved, I just wouldn't want you to drive up all that way and not be able to race.

Any progress so far??

------------------
Jason
94 VTEC
CAI, no PS belt
15.27 @ 90.74mph
Team Sol Member #450

jacen
December 16th, 2001, 11:52 PM
no progress yet still working on my wifes van. motor overheated and all the cylinders had water in them. I know the battery has to be vented to the outside. i was thinkin about that strut towers twisting in. not sure how it's possible the motor doesn't twist that way under power. anyways a good strut tower bar should prevent that. and i was wrong about my spring rates. the stiffer springs are on the front. when i was installing them i heard that you can use the stiffer ones on the back to get better launches. but i remembered that i didn't do that. I know a guy in portland that has a h22 in his civic. i'll get some input on his setup.

------------------