PDA

View Full Version : Bill Evans - Starfish & the Moon

milesaway
June 2nd, 2002, 07:42 PM
Does anybody know how much Vinnie is playing on the Bill Evans recording "Starfish & the Moon"? And is it worth getting? Thanks.

By the way, on moderndrummer.com there's a few nice mp3:s to download; "Personal Legend" by John Beasley (with Vinnie) for instance. A wonderful tune. And Cobham's "Before And After" is not so bad either.

God bless.

drumgod1
June 3rd, 2002, 12:29 AM
Starfish & the Moon is pretty generic, vanilla jazz stuff. There are some cool licks in it but they are very spread out. I would define it as mood music. I wouldn't waste paying full price for it. If you can find it used for cheaper, you might want to get it to round out your Vinnie catalog. It's mostly groove stuff. Another good recording that Vinnie played on that shows his grooviness is the SheDaisy cd "The Whole SheBang". I still enjoy listening to that one, but I used to play country music and like the music on the disk. Good luck! Mike

arin
June 3rd, 2002, 07:07 PM
Yeah, if you expect some wild work a'la Jing Chi or Secrets you will be disappointed but if you like some nice grooves, get that one. I actually bought the CD brand new for something like $7 in one store.

royerin
June 10th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Go to Ebay (http://www.ebay.com) and do a search for "Bill Evans Starfish" - there are a few copies at the moment going very cheap.....