PDA

View Full Version : Warning Newbie post. Trouble with game start up

Yuji
February 2nd, 2003, 08:10 PM
Hello, I'm sorry to bother everyone. I've looked around a little bit but could not find a similar topic so I guessed that I would just ask directly.

When I start Grandia II for PC, after I choose "New Game" my computer freezes. I get the "Now Loading....." message, then it disappears and nothing, no whirling noise from my PC, no lights on the CD rom, no activity what so ever. I have an Athalon 1800 and a GeForce 4 PowerPack. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Thank you.

mrwiseman
February 2nd, 2003, 08:38 PM
Hi, this is Wiseman, the Granaboard maintainer. Welcome to the Granaboard Message Board! I hope you enjoy it. Don't worry about creating threads and asking questions, those are two of the main goals of boards!

I haven't heard of that problem happening to Grandia II PC, however, make sure of the following:

- First off, due to a bug I've discovered in the configuration programs, you can't assign functions to the keys K and/or M, I don't remember which (if you really must, an hex editor has to be used, I can explain the reason why this happens if you want). Enter the game configuration (GMCONFIG.EXE) and press the "Reset All" button. This will set all keys to default and screen resolution and color depth to 640x480x16 (most compatible). You can change this later once you've verified it's not a configuration issue.

- After you have verified that, and changing the resolution doesn't help, try reinstalling the game, something might be wrong.

- If this doesn't help, you might want to make sure you have the latest graphic drivers and DirectX available.

- If you are still experiencing this problem, let us know, maybe some of us know of this issue, and I can search Google for some troubleshooting as well.

Dragonrider
February 2nd, 2003, 08:40 PM
Sorry... I can't be of help, most of us here never played G2 on the PC, but I think xellos did (he's around here at least 5 times a day so maybe he can help). Have you tried cleaning the CD? And if the CD is pirated that may be the reason (but I'm not saying it is, but if you bought one, that may be the reason it isnt running). Sorry I couldnt help :-(

Templar Zeratul
February 2nd, 2003, 09:00 PM
I was thinking the same as Wiseman, check your Direct X

Yuji
February 2nd, 2003, 09:02 PM
Thank you very much for welcoming me. I know too many message boards that are much to hostile to new comers and people who ask beginner questions. Everyone has to be "leet" to talk there (sarcasm). Thank you again.

Well, I am using a gamepad so I don't think that that is the problem, but I will try to reset anyway. Also, it was a store bought copy, but any advice is helpful. Thank you again and I'll write back if it works or not.

Templar Zeratul
February 2nd, 2003, 09:05 PM
You're welcome. We're all a family here and we always have room for another member cool.gif

One Classy Bloke
February 2nd, 2003, 09:07 PM
Sorry, but the advice i would give on this matter has already been given.

Anyway, welcome to the Granaboard, my name is to the left of here, but if you are too tired from your long journey here, my name is OCB. I hope you enjoy your stay here, and hope you will come again often.

Yuji
February 2nd, 2003, 09:09 PM
Oh, sorry, I am currently using Direct X8.1. And everything seems to be working fine in the diagnostics.

Templar Zeratul
February 2nd, 2003, 09:11 PM
Maybe a reinstallation would help?

Xellos
February 2nd, 2003, 09:14 PM
I'm dumb when it comes to them technical things tongue.gif but anyways, this happened to me:

My solution: Buy a game doctor, keep cleaning til it works, uninstall all the files (cept for save games if you already have some) and then reinstall it w/the cleaned disc, and it should work.

Seriously that's what I did, and it worked fine, thoguh it could be some tech prob

Welcome to the board! Everyone's welcome here, we let Cav in for god's sake tongue.gif

Templar Zeratul
February 2nd, 2003, 09:28 PM
Did you buy the game new or used? If you bought it used, then Xell's Game Doctor strategy could work...

Yuji
February 2nd, 2003, 09:48 PM
Well the game is new, but nothing seems to work so I'll try the cleaning/re-install trick. Thank you so much everyone for being so nice and helpful.

Templar Zeratul
February 2nd, 2003, 10:02 PM
Let us know how it goes ok?

Yuji
February 2nd, 2003, 10:16 PM
Well, still no luck, I guess I'll try a few more times, but I'm begining to think that this is just a faulty CD or something. Maybe I should just get a PS2 and buy the regular game. *sigh*

But thank you, all of you for all your suggestions and welcomes. I appreciate each one of you.

By the way, does anyone know of a good board to ask for help with the Emulator version of the first grandia game, Grandia? Thank you again and good night.

Xellos
February 2nd, 2003, 10:21 PM
Get a Dreamcast if youw anna buy it, the DC version is the best, and cheapest. I've seen G2 DC 10 bucks,a nd hte system going for 50

Templar Zeratul
February 2nd, 2003, 10:29 PM
No no no, don't get the PS2 version. Get the DC version, at my favorite game store around here, you can get it for 12.99

mrwiseman
February 2nd, 2003, 10:32 PM
You're very welcome. If it still doesn't work, let us know, we'll try to find a way.

Dragonrider
February 2nd, 2003, 11:27 PM
we always find a way wink.gif

we "banned" the word "newb" a long time ago, lol, and we changed it to "that new cool person" :-D

I hope you enjoy yourself at the boards however amount of time you stay... some people stick around 1 day others... too long for me to remember, probably that I dont want to think about it.
confused.gif

Xellos
February 2nd, 2003, 11:56 PM
BTW, where's the other 2 old fogies been? I bene talking to phaq on AIM, but what about Bj?

Dragonrider
February 3rd, 2003, 01:06 AM
dunno. BJ's been having to rework real life. He can't spend all the time beating people's asses in arcades... ever since he left the fire dep. training, I havent talked too much to him more than: "hi!" "sup?" "hows it going" "good" "*joke for 5 minutes" "Gotta go" "bye"

repeat.

Phaq's still growin his hair out...... :-P

(as if it isnt long enough already..)

melfice
February 3rd, 2003, 11:23 AM
Welcome Yuji! ^^ I'm the serious guy here, unlike these people... _U tongue.gif

Xellos
February 3rd, 2003, 11:43 AM
Sure you are

Beware what Cav and Mel sya, for they telltwsited hidden lies! *hssssssss hsssssss*

melfice
February 3rd, 2003, 11:45 AM
Said the Liar... (a logic problem arises! one if us says lies, the other don't!) What would you ask to know the truth?

Xellos
February 3rd, 2003, 11:48 AM
You don't believe me!? Who's av is nicer and kinder *looks at his mel and Cav's avs* Er.... dun answer that ^^;;

Just take my word for that one!

melfice
February 3rd, 2003, 11:49 AM
Who are you saying that...?

Xellos
February 3rd, 2003, 11:51 AM
Yuji, we'll let him/her decide!

Cavalier
February 3rd, 2003, 04:18 PM
heya new dude, im sure wiseman helped u so i shut my mouth <_<>_>

Templar Zeratul
February 3rd, 2003, 08:17 PM
I like Cav's Av eek.gif

Daigotsu
February 3rd, 2003, 11:35 PM
I hope you can get your game to work, it would be a shame if you couldn't play one of the best RPGs IMO.

Templar Zeratul
February 4th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Grandia 2 is my favorite RPG ever! With Final Fantasy 9 in a CLOSE CLOSE CLOSE 2nd and SoAL FF6 and Chrono Trigger tied for 3rd ^_^

Yuji
February 4th, 2003, 02:43 AM
Well, since all of you have been so kind to me ( I am a guy by the way ) I really have no reason to doubt anyone of you. Heh, you're all so silly.

Anyway, I caught a fever yesterday so I haven't really been able to work on the game since, but so far it still isn't working.

The reason I was thinking of getting a PS2 was because I already have an old PS1 so I would already have other games availiable for it, but I will look into DreamCasts since you all brought up such good arguments.

Again, thank you everyone for all the responses for just my question.

Templar Zeratul
February 4th, 2003, 03:11 AM
There are so many other awesome games for DC besides Grandia 2! Soul Caliber, Virtual On, Skies of Arcadia...

Xellos
February 4th, 2003, 03:15 AM
SA1, SA2, PSO v. 1 and 2, Power Stone 1 and 2, Tech Romancer, Jet Grind Radio, Ecco the Dolphin

Templar Zeratul
February 4th, 2003, 03:19 AM
ACK! I forgot Power Stone!

Yuji
February 4th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Heh heh heh, alright, alright already. I get the idea wink.gif

But although my profile says that I am from Chicago, I am actually only a college student here. My home is actually in Hawaii, so getting a game counsle will have to wait until the end of the term. That's why I usually get only the PC version of the games.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions.

melfice
February 4th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Then get Oni, or Hundred Swords!

Xellos
February 4th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Hawaii r0x0rz! My gf used to live in Hawaii! It's left her w/ a nice tan XD

mrwiseman
February 4th, 2003, 07:25 PM
IRT (In Reply To) Yuji:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana,Tahoma">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#E0E0E0"><font size=2 face="Verdana,Tahoma">Well, since all of you have been so kind to me ( I am a guy by the way ) I really have no reason to doubt anyone of you.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, I knew (Yuji is a guys' name, for example, Yuji Naka, the guy behind Sonic). As you can see, we aren't nice to girls only smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana,Tahoma">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#E0E0E0"><font size=2 face="Verdana,Tahoma">Heh, you're all so silly.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
We're not silly, we're insane biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana,Tahoma">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#E0E0E0"><font size=2 face="Verdana,Tahoma">Anyway, I caught a fever yesterday so I haven't really been able to work on the game since, but so far it still isn't working.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hope you get better

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana,Tahoma">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#E0E0E0"><font size=2 face="Verdana,Tahoma">The reason I was thinking of getting a PS2 was because I already have an old PS1 so I would already have other games availiable for it, but I will look into DreamCasts since you all brought up such good arguments.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, the Dreamcast is dead, but it's dirt cheap and it still has the best game catalogue in terms of game and technical quality. With games like Grandia II (the best version of all three is the DC version BTW, the PS2 version is the worst by far), Shenmue 1 and 2, Skies of Arcadia, Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Metropolis Street Racer, DOA2 Millennium (best ver. too), Phantasy Star Online Ver.2, HeadHunter, Resident Evil - Code: Veronica and Virtua Tennis 2 (these three are better than their PS2 counterparts, technically-wise), and a lot more, you'll have a lot to do in your free time smile.gif . BTW, the PS2 being having superior graphics is a mainstream myth, it's just the opposite, and you'll verify this once you get it (my technical explanation of this available if you want).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana,Tahoma">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#E0E0E0"><font size=2 face="Verdana,Tahoma">Again, thank you everyone for all the responses for just my question.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're welcome!

Xellos
February 4th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Miguel Rant! w007!

One Classy Bloke
February 4th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Yea, it'll be nice to read a rant thats not about poltics, muslims or drugs.

Templar Zeratul
February 4th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Go go DC rant!

melfice
February 5th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Ups! Miguel tech rants can be really really really Long, you should use a "LARA" signal

Long
Ass
Rant
Ahead

tongue.gif

Xellos
February 5th, 2003, 12:05 PM
lol... liike the Outside thread, ne?

mrwiseman
February 5th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Sorry guys, I can't today, I'm studying for an exam, and I already posted something big in the Xenogears thread

Daigotsu
February 5th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Rants are always good.

Templar Zeratul
February 5th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Yeah, Wiseman's post in the Xeno topic is friggin huge

Xellos
February 6th, 2003, 03:15 AM
Which is good ^^

Yuji
February 7th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Well, thank you everyone once again.

My game still doesn't work, even after calling customer support and talking with them. So I guess I will try to get a dream cast. But that'll have to wait until after I get my own place.

It was great to hear from all of you and all your suggestions. Goodnight.

melfice
February 7th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Good luck with getting a DC and Grandia II! indeed one of the best RPG's DC has!