0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Fitness/Workouts

Some tips of healthy eating this week.
    Almonds are great.
    Celery (I hate it), but you actually burn more calories eating this food than any other out there.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Drink lots of water, and stay off the computer.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I drink about 1+ gallon of water a day.

I gained 20+ pounds from my freshman to sophomore year in college. I wasn't active like I had been all through high school. I did weight watchers and lost about 15 pounds, then I've not really followed WW strictly, but it's the base for how I eat throughout the day. I've lost about 8 pounds that way. So now I'm back at high school weight! But now I want to lose about 10 more pounds. I think that's realistic. I'm not skinny and I'll never be, but I'm in good shape and very healthy.

I am constantly running/playing ball so that helps.

I eat smaller portions, have snacks, and don't deprive myself. If I am craving chocolate, I'll eat a bite size hershey....or a whole bar. Whatever. I just know that I need to eat super healthy at the next meal (lots of veggies).

The biggest thing for me though is to eat good foods. I enjoy eating healthy. I love whole grains, love high fiber, love dense foods. Not empty food, empty carbs. So if I eat 1 piece of whole wheat toast, egg beaters with cheese and flax seed, and a banana, it sticks with me much better than a sugary cereal....or even some meal replacement bar.
    Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war minus the shooting.
    George Orwell

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I lost 10 lbs. from 8/1-8/30 and didn't cut any of my weight-training. My diet was primarily; 1 hard-boiled egg and about 5 big spoonfuls of nonfat yogurt, 1 Nutrigrain bar at 10 AM; plain ham or turkey sandwich, 1 string cheese, an 1 fruit cup; 1 banana and 1 string cheese; small dinner; workout (weights and cardio); protein shake made with water. I cheat a little bit on Saturday. I haven't gotten the binges that I thought I would have and I haven't had the problems with an empty tank at 2AM. I felt really good that I lost 4 lbs. the first two weeks and 6 lbs. the next two weeks. I think that is appropriate and healthy and tells me that my need to lose weight wasn't too significant.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

congrats!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Two words: John Basedow

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks a bunch! I'm working on the second 10 lbs. for the month of September. I've got my 20-year reunion in BSG at the end of October. Certainly a good motivator, but the weight loss has certainly made me feel really good physically. It's cyclical. Lose the weight and the exercise is easier and you can do more without overtiring or feeling too sore. The more you exercise, the better chance of weight loss. I'm a P.E. teacher and my day is full of activity, so it enhances my productivity, also. It's a win situation all the way around.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's an idea for a pushup/ab workout that I use at school, but I encourage my students to do at home. Select an appropriate number of pushups, crunches, dips, or flutterkicks. I will have a student tell me, every five minutes of class (regardless of what I'm doing) to "Drop down and start pushing, big man!" I will get down and do 10 pushups each time this is said. Over the course of two or three class periods, you will do a lot of pushups. It's a great alternative if you hit a rut in the weight room (which happens to be any Friday for me) or you are trying to prepare yourself to begin weight-lifting as a regular activity. I have the advantage that I am a P.E. teacher and it looks good to the admin and students that I do it to myself as well as the kids. If your work schedule or setting doesn't allow for this, do the activities during commercials while you are watching TV. One commercial can be upper body work, the next can be abs, and the last can be a stretching period. You may be able to incorporate all three into a 3 minute commercial. It is a great way to debunk the statement, "I just don't have the time to workout."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

great great great idea! props to you! You're setting a good example for students, as well as taking care of yourself.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

recently reading Men's Health and found out butter has no effect on cholesterol.. just a little FYI