Page 75 of 135 FirstFirst ... 25656667686970717273747576777879808182838485125 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing/MMA Fights - local, national, world

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Boxing/MMA Fights - local, national, world

if crocup wins he is rumored to fight the winner of the nog/couture fight and then the winner of that is rumored to fight the winner of the lesnar/mir fight

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

really?

this is cro cop's first fight in a decent while, i never figured he'd jump so far up the ladder

i figured if kongo won, he would be in that situation

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

***********************SPOILER******************** ************

Dan Hardy (22-6) def. Marcus Davis (21-6) by Split Decision

hardy won a close fight against davis, davis took him down and would control hardy, but once they stood up hardy would land huge elbows on davis, cutting him in the second. third, both had takedowns, but the cut was a factor.
    it lived up to the hype, great fight

Spenser Fisher(24-4) def. Caol Uno(25-12-4) by Un. Decision

blah, boring fight, they basically did nothing.
    fisher had better strikes, but it was really close, and uno had a big mount and some hits in the late late third, so i thought uno had it, but fisher won the decision.

Mike Swick (14-2) def. Ben Saunders (7-1-2) TKO Rd. 2

swick was totally better than saunders. swick would beat his ass, the saunders would hold him, hug him forever. they finally got some room, took saunders down and TKO'd him

Mirko Filipic (25-6-2) def. Mustapha Al-Turk (7-4) by TKO 1st

Cro Cop pursued al-turk, then finally let his hands go, and dropped al-turk. they stood back up, Al-Turk got hit in the eye, then TKO'd
    it was horseshiiet, but cro cop was better. but the fight should not have ended like that. Ill post the rest as they finish.

Cain Velasquez (6-0) def. Cheick Kongo (24-5-1) by Un. Decision

didnt get to see all of this, but from what i say, kongo dominated the stand up, cain the ground.
    kongo would land some huge shots, then cain would take him down and bound on him.

from what i saw, kongo won, but i didnt see it all.

Rich Franklin (26-4-1) def. Wanderlei Silva (32-11-1) by Un. Decision

Tale of two fighters; Franklin stood back, used very effective striking, scoring a lot on wandy, but silva would land huge blows in between, but overall, Franklin won the fight decisively. Better overall striking and scored a crucial late take-down.

pretty good card imo

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

solid card imo...davis's face was pouring the blood..good to see good sportsmanship after the fight

i actually thought the uno/fisher fight was a good one...their styles just contrasted eachother

swick dominated saunders...could see him in line for a title fight very soon...also possible he could fight hughes next

crocup actually looked good and focused, hated to see it end with an eye poke, but the ref didnt see it...imo it was only a matter of time before crocup dropped him

kongo was rocking velasquez in the standup but cain just kept taking congo down and was too much for him on the ground

franklin fought a good fight... i knew wandys cardio would come into play, rumor has it that he had to cut 12 pounds yesterday before the weigh in

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yeah the weight cut def. favored rich.

rich could take it better, and his chin at this point is a lot better than wandy's.

great fights tho

hardy/davis was great

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

COLOGNE, Germany – Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic’s return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship was a short one.

Not long after stopping Mostapha Al-Turk in the first round of UFC 99 on Saturday at Lanxess Arena in his first fight in the UFC since back-to-back losses in 2007, Filipovic informed UFC president Dana White that he had signed a three-fight contract with the Japan-based DREAM.

White had signed Filipovic less than a month ago to a one-fight deal, the first time in more than nine years that he’d done that. He had worked out terms on two additional fights, but said he’d only put pen to paper for Saturday’s bout.

He brought Filipovic back because he knew the Croat is still very popular and Filipovic insisted he wanted to make a run for the title.
    That proved not to be the truth. After turning down much tougher opposition, including Cain Velasquez, who defeated Cheick Kongo later on the card, he wound up with the lightly regarded Al-Turk.

But instead of getting a shot at big names like Randy Couture or Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and fighting his way into title contention, Filipovic opted to bolt for Japan.

“Isn’t that a dirty [expletive] thing to do?” White asked rhetorically after being queried about Filipovic’s deal with DREAM. “He [expletived] me. The first time in the history of the company I do one over the phone. He promised me a three-fight deal and he [expletived] me.”

Filipovic looked unsteady and hardly impressive in defeating Al-Turk, who is winless in the UFC. He never landed one of his vaunted kicks and the fight ended not from a punch but when he poked Al-Turk in the eye with his finger.

Referee Dan Miragliotta didn’t see the poke, so it was regarded as a clean blow and Filipovic won by stoppage.

Filipovic was fighting five months to the day after knee surgery, one of several injuries he said kept him from performing at his best in his first stint in the UFC. Before the fight, he called his 1-2 UFC record “the black spot” on his career.

While speaking with reporters on a prefight conference call, Filipovic enthused about his return and said he was gunning for a title shot. All the while, he apparently knew he was in it for a one-fight deal.

He texted White on White’s cellular phone and told him he wanted to return. White said Filipovic declined numerous opponents.

Apparently, Filipovic, who is from Croatia, wanted to fight in Germany and use the UFC bout as a tuneup. He did and is now Dream bound, but he’ll almost certainly never fight in the UFC again.

“He didn’t keep his word,” White said, who said he’d had a two-hour talk with Filipovic on the day Filipovic texted and asked to be able to return. “He talked about honor and all this other [expletive] and he [expletived] me.

“He fed me this bull [expletive] about wanting to take a run for the title, and what I think he did was, he went out and did this. He turned down every other [expletive] fighter I offered him, because I needed him to fight Cain. He didn’t just poke Al-Turk; he poked me, too.”

As is his custom, Filipovic skipped the postfight news conference and could not be reached to comment on the DREAM deal.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

what a bietch move

cro cop just lost tons of respect in my book

the cro cop i know wasnt a chickensheit and would have fought cain.

but i guess he turned into a flying sack of turds now, cause dana is right, thats a biitch-made move right there

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I didn't see the show. Thanks for the run-downs

I thought the catch-weight favored Franklin quite a bit.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yes it did, wandy was exhausted way before rich started to feel run down.

with the weight cut silva also seemed to lose some of his knockout power, you could tell he wasnt as in shape as franklin, and franklin was able to stay on the outside for most of the fight.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ray mercer knocked tim sylvia out in 10 seconds today at adrenaline III....was scheduled tro originally be a boxin g match but they counldnt get sanctioned in nj, they moved it to alabama and made it a mma match and big tim went down.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqK6yJaE4mY"]YouTube - Ray Mercer vs. Tim Sylvia Bragging Rights in Birmingham Al[/ame]