Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: If yall cant even beat us..

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    heh, im super excited about Grant. He has done wonders for a team full of underachivers and no name guys. Im a big fan, but nobody knows him on teh national stage yet.
    You're really not getting how big he is. He's well known around the country and is big time.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well I mean he ended up at Alabama after VCU. He didnt quite go to UCLA or Duke haha
    He was a very hot name, but not a big name.

I think we agree but are using different words. He is a very, very hot name in coaching but he isnt a huge name nationally
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

like I know a lot of SEC fans know him and the big prognosticators know him, but the casual fan isnt familiar with him yet

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
    UT is the only team I've ever seen to get absolutely **** calls at home and better calls on the road. I don't know why that is, but it's been the case the last 2-3 years.
    Yesterday's was the worst I've seen in 15 years of watching UT basketball. Over the last four or five years, UT continually gets fewer calls than any home or road team. Kind of like early in the season (think it was the Villanova or Oakland game) when UT was whistled for four or five moving picks in a half.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    and Drew, you REALLY wanna compare a team that was picked to finish **** near LAST in teh SEC, THE SEC, a terrible conference, and a team that was preseason top 25 and supposed to finally break thru in a big time conference?
    and you wanna compare a team who is first place in the SEC vs a team who is tied for 5th in the ACC and only has 8 scholarship players...as you can imagine, I'm loving that
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So you are happy VT is on the same standing as Alabama? Really?
    You are seriously gonna say that VT is content to be where they are, regardless of turnover on the roster? Content to be compared with a SEC West team that was picked to finish near last in the SEC?

One team has severly overachieved, while the other, who has had injury problems, has severly underachieved and was underachieving even before the disaters on the roster.

This might all be decided in a couple months, if VT can make the tourney we might get this matchup, a 8-9 or 7-10 game in the NCAA or if Bama falters a matchup in the NIT.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ahhhhh you clearly can't speak on VT's behalf, you obviously have no knowledge of the situation

Allan Chaney (widely regarded within the program as the most talented player VT has, including Jeff Allen and Malcolm Delaney) was out with a heart problem before the season started

JT Thompson tore his ACL in October during practices before VT even played a game

Cedarian Raines only played in 4 games before being done for the year

and Dorenzo Hudson, VT's second leading scorer, only played in 9 games

so if VT's problems started before the injuries, I guess they started last Spring...and you must know something neither I or anyone involved with the VT program knows...but judging by how much you can clearly speak on the subject, that wouldn't surprise me

so do you think if prognosticators had known VT would only have 2 scholarship post players, 3 of their top 6 players out for the year, 4 of their top 8 players out for the year, and only 8 scholarship players total, where do you think VT would've been picked to finish??

regardless, preseason ratings are dumb...theyre a total guess...look at Michigan State to prove that...Alabama was picked last, big whoop...the SEC West is so effing hideous that if you can dribble and chew gum you can pick up 10 conference wins

so...am I glad VT is being compared (favorably) to a team who is first place in their conference, while only having 8 scholarship players and 2 post players TOTAL? yeah, actually I am...and it'd be pretty **** ignorant to think otherwise...but that's where you come in...
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gcdevil22 View Post
    ahhhhh you clearly can't speak on VT's behalf, you obviously have no knowledge of the situation

Allan Chaney (widely regarded within the program as the most talented player VT has, including Jeff Allen and Malcolm Delaney) was out with a heart problem before the season started

JT Thompson tore his ACL in October during practices before VT even played a game

Cedarian Raines only played in 4 games before being done for the year

and Dorenzo Hudson, VT's second leading scorer, only played in 9 games

so if VT's problems started before the injuries, I guess they started last Spring...and you must know something neither I or anyone involved with the VT program knows...but judging by how much you can clearly speak on the subject, that wouldn't surprise me
    Yes, VT has had injury problems. I never claimed to have inside knowledge of VT basketball. I just know they lost to a bad BC team, and have underperformed greatly in the ACC so far. And were UNDERPERFORMING before losing Hudson. Whats the excuse now? Before Hudson/Raines went down, they had almost a full roster.
    Bama just had a big time player, who would have been one of their best, transfer to UNC before the season. Its not as if VT was the only team to lose a player.

so do you think if prognosticators had known VT would only have 2 scholarship post players, 3 of their top 6 players out for the year, 4 of their top 8 players out for the year, and only 8 scholarship players total, where do you think VT would've been picked to finish??
    Wait, if VTs injury problems began so severely before the season, why would they rank them so high in the pre season polls? You are contradicting yourself.

regardless, preseason ratings are dumb...theyre a total guess...look at Michigan State to prove that...Alabama was picked last, big whoop...the SEC West is so effing hideous that if you can dribble and chew gum you can pick up 10 conference wins
    haha, there it is. I knew it was coming. How can you call the SEC so **** terrible yet be content that VT is compared to one of the teams? If the ACC was THAT much better and the SECW soooooo terrible, wouldnt it be an insult for even a shorthanded, mediocre ACC team to be compared to a team from the West?
    So either you admit VT is terrible, or that Alabama is a good ball team and the SEC is better than people thought.

an ACC fan talking down to another conference is funny this year, the ACC is as mediocre as anyone else. Duke, then who? UNC? Maryland? BC? Clemson?
    The ACC is just as average as the SEC.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

pre-season polls are done over the summer dipsh*t...

only Allan Chaney was questionable at that point...and they even thought he might be able to play

Raines didn't play until 4 games into the season, missing the Kansas State game...he only played at the same time as Hudson for 3 games...so for 3 games this year, VT had a full (10-man) roster...except Raines' minutes were limited due to surgery on his foot and was only playing that early because of the injuries to Thompson and Chaney, as well as foul trouble from Jeff Allen

in those 3 games, VT beat Oklahoma State and lost in overtime to Purdue, and they were playing really well

so again...if they were underperforming BEFORE the injuries, they were underperforming in the pre-season...

if they were underperforming before Hudson got hurt, they were doing so b/c out of those 9 games, 6 of them were played with 2 post players...which hurt them bigtime in games against K-State and UVa w/ Mike Scott

and that sucks that Bama lost Knox, but they knew going into the summer that he would no longer be with them...there's a huge difference...now imagine Bama had lost JaMychal Green, Trevor Releford, and Chris Hines to go along with Knox and where would Bama be?

you're confusing "comparing" the 2 schools with saying they're equal...any of the top 6-7 teams in the ACC would be sitting atop the SEC West...so when we're comparing, just remember we're still saying VT is a better basketball team (with the injuries even) and a better program

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123