Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Bruce Pearl Fired

Im with Stripes, UT had to fire Pearl to reduce the ire of teh NCAA. I believe the sanctions will be much less severe now. Pearl was a good coach, UT will miss him short term because of his energy and he truly liked UT IMO.

but Hamilton needs to be fired NOW ASAP YESTERDAY. The fiasco with his comments the day before UT plays in the NCAAT was absurd and he should lose his job for that alone. Luckily he has numerous moronic decisions so it wont be hard to fire him.
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikMo View Post
    And everybody calls Calipari dirty?
    Yeah Cal's a real saint I am sure. Pearl messed up the most with the phone calls and mainly lying. What he lied about wouldnt have been that big of a deal had he just told the truth.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like this quote from Charles Barkley. Saying Hamilton should get fired. First of all for Hiring Lane Kiffin.

During halftime of West Virginia's win over Clemson on CBS, Barkley called out Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton for the timing of his comments on Tennessee Volunteers coach Bruce Pearl. Hamilton said in a radio interview Wednesday that "the jury was still out" on Pearl. "Hamilton should get fired," Barkley said. "First of all, for hiring Lane Kiffin. That's what he should get fired for. But that's a disgrace to say that the day before the tournament game."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1HMB3VrNH
    GO VOLS

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikMo View Post
    And everybody calls Calipari dirty?

You are seriously gonna try and compare having some players over to his house for a bbq and lying about it to what Calipari does?????????

The precedent has been set now and if Ohio keeps Tressel then they instantly become the laughing stock of the ncaa and should be severely punished by the ncaa.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
    You are seriously gonna try and compare having some players over to his house for a bbq and lying about it to what Calipari does?????????

The precedent has been set now and if Ohio keeps Tressel then they instantly become the laughing stock of the ncaa and should be severely punished by the ncaa.
    Everything Pearl did was a secondary violation except for not being honest about it to the NCAA. Calipari has left 2 different NCAA programs under major sanctions and ran out of town to take none of the punishment or blame. Yes Pearl is much worse. Thankfully, I know Mikmo isn't that stupid.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well to be fair, nothing that happened at UMass or Memphis involved Calapari directly. Marcus Camby took money, Derrick Rose had someone else take his SATs (or something like that). Cal was not involved directly in either situation.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Not exactly. Nothing was ever proven for certain that he was involved. It keeps happening so it doesn't take a genius to put 2+2 together. It's easy to keep your nose clean when you're in bed with a multi million dollar company paying money and gifts hand over fist to AAU coaches, parents, and kids. Hard to get caught doing something wrong when you've got a fence doing it for you. Also, anything that happens under your watch as a coach comes down on you.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I havent been able to get on here in a few days but heres my thoughts as a loyal Ut basketball fan:
    Ive been a fan for 10 some years. I remember the Buzz Peterson days when basketball was a mediocre sport UT played that helped pass the time between Football seasons. Then came 05's 5-6 football disaster. I turned the TV on one day to see Tennessee, TENNESSEE of all schools beating the hell out of a nationally ranked Texas team in Austin. I knew at that moment Bruce was special. The 05-06 team was special to me, it was the first team I was proud of. They beat UK in Rupp for crying out loud (Bruce's only win over the cats in lexington btw). They won the SEC East in a year that UF won the national title and got a #2 seed after missing the tournament for 4 years. Bruce kept the magic going with a solid 06-07 year where Chris Loften became a household name. Bruce's third year he beat a #1 team and gave UT their first #1 ranking in basketball ever. I never would have believed a man could accomplish that. In his tenure he went on to win 3 SEC titles, a SEC regular season title, 6 (Six!!!!) tourney appearances, UT's first Elite 8 appearance and was mere seconds from a final four. All at a school where basketball was an after thought. He made UT bball cool and hip. His charisma and fun style of ball made him a fan favorite.

I know he lied to the NCAA and thats wrong. I just wish he would have been able to ride the storm out. He made this program what it was. He put his heart and soul into this program and I will always be a Bruce Pearl fan for that. As lame as it sounds, its been a tough week for me to come to terms with the loss of UTs greatest coach of all time. Whoever that scumbag Hamilton hires will not even come close to touching Pearl. Whereever he ends up I'kl be a fan of that school. And I cannot thank the man enough for what he did to make tennessee basketball into what it was for 6 years, and never will be again.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
    Not exactly. Nothing was ever proven for certain that he was involved. It keeps happening so it doesn't take a genius to put 2+2 together. It's easy to keep your nose clean when you're in bed with a multi million dollar company paying money and gifts hand over fist to AAU coaches, parents, and kids. Hard to get caught doing something wrong when you've got a fence doing it for you. Also, anything that happens under your watch as a coach comes down on you.
    I dont see the correlation. Camby took money while Rose had someone else take his SATs. Its not Cal's kids keep getting busted taking money, that was only Camby and from an agent (not Wes).

I have a problem with his association with WWWes, but I cant throw stones until there is solid proof laid out that Cal was in cahoots with him to give impermissible benefits or the like.

But I think the biggest reason that kids go with Cal is not because of any illegal benefits, its because these kids have no intention of going to school and want to go play for a coach that sends talent to the NBA and will not try to keep them from taking that next step to the NBA. I think Wes' network allows Cal to have undue influence on the kids, but I dont believe they are paying significant money to land kids.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You're right then I guess. It's just an unfortunate set of cicumstances that lead to programs being dealt crippling death blows at the moment he and a guy like Lou Holtz decides to leave. Poor guys.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast