Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Clintwood vs Galax, State Championship Predictions

Galax has a very powerful offense but Castlewood was able to take the lead early, and I mean early in their playoff game so I think Clintwood's offense should do a little better than they have the past couple of weeks and also, Galax has scored under 40 twice and beat Grayson County, a game that was a nighmare for Clintwood early in the year. Galax has only played and beat 3 teams with a winning record and only scored under 40 twice the whole year.
    This is not the same Clintwood team that played Grayson County. Clintwood still has a really good defense that bent some yesterday but did not break. I do not believe Galax will put up 40 on Clintwood. The key will be for Clintwood to get some offense going and not have to wait until second half. If Clintwood hits them hard and continues to cause turnovers, I see them bringing that state title home.
    There is not anyway possible Im going against Clintwood and for the ones that have been saying Clintwood will get beat, please continue on. You have to be right some time and you may get one prediction right out of 3 or 4.
    Clintwood 34 Galax 28
    See you in Salem!!!! GO GREEN!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Clintwood vs Galax, State Championship Predictions

Not a prediction, but here's a repost of some info on Galax I posted on SWVASports. Saturday vs. Lunenburg Central was the first time I had seen them.

On offense Galax ran mainly out of two base formations-- a one-back set with two TEs and what looks like an offset I-form but the FB/H-Back is close to the LOS. They will use a fair amount of motion with the TEs and the WRs. In the run game, they called a lot of slow-developing stuff like delayed handoffs and stretch plays.

Galax's big WR Deion George killed LC in the first half. He scored their first three TDs--the first two on deep balls down the sideline, then caught a fade in the red zone for the third. Why LC kept trying to cover him one-on-one with a small DB I have no clue. The QB has a decent arm.

LC's offense was double wing (i.e. the wing-T with both WBs on the line) with mostly two TEs, occasionally with one wideout. When LC used two TEs, Galax put all 11 defenders within 5 yards of the ball---basically a 7-4 front--and blew up a lot of their plays at the line of scrimmage. LC had some receivers open off play action and their QB often made the right read but didn't have much velocity on his throws, allowing Galax's defenders to recover and break up passes. I'd bet Galax will use something similar vs. Clintwood's power run game.

I haven't seen Clintwood but they should be able to hold their own against Galax's run game. Their RBs Vaughn and Peoples were not as quick or fast as I thought they would be. The key will be whether the Greenwave can stop the pass, as Galax has a 2nd big WR in addition to George.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If the folks from Clintwood don't mind, some of us older guys would like the "Mean Green" to start a little earlier. My work is keeping me from catching many games and even on the radio, this might be a little too much excitement. You have played together and thru some things. The season has been good , now time for the final game. Good Luck.
    We'll keep the lights on for you.
    Spuds

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Clintwood has been twice since 08 and came up short. 3rd time is the charm. The kids have ice veins and know what to expect watching in 07 and 08. Clintwood has playoff experience. Clintwood stays calm. That will pay off. Idc what Galax has, its Clintwoods to lose, a team doesnt come up short 3 times. Clintwood will bring it home.

Greenwave 20 (2 TDs and 2 FGs Clintwood has been inside the redzone past 2 weeks so I give them 2 FG)
    Maroon Tide 14

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gchs_devils View Post
    a team doesnt come up short 3 times.
    I hate to bring this up, I really do, but Burton came up short 4 times in the past 10 years - 04, 05, 06, and 09 - so that simply isn't true. I do have faith in Clintwood, though. This is a group of determined players and they've came out on top these past two weeks despite being the underdogs. Better yet, they keep improving week in and week out and they've stayed relatively healthy, QB aside. I'm confident they can do it again this week if they keep mistakes and turnovers to a minimum and wear Galax out.
    Officially retired

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am a Greenwave through and through but my objective analysis based upon what I have seen this team do all season is this: Clintwood will be able to stop Galax's run game allday long. Clintwood will also be able to move the ball with 3 and 4 yard carries at a time with a better run here and there. However, Clintwood's D is not designed nor set up to stop a good deep passing attack. We saw that last year against EM and this year Clintwood's defensive backs are small and young with Dahley being out. Clintwood may be able to slow Galax's passing game but they won't be able to shut it down. Clintwood will have to keep it within a touchdown going into the 4th quarter to win. All this being said I will never go against the LPD. Clintwood 28 Galax 27.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think that Clintwood will have a chance to win this game. We just need to make sure that we play our style of game play as mentally sound as we have been the past two weeks and dont beat ourselves. Looks as though we have another big size advantage, but Galax is able to pass and as we all know here CW is not the best coverage team around albeit we have gotten better. It will be a hard fought game in Salem and whoever wins will earn it. I am very proud to be a Greenwave they have exceeded everyones expectations including mine for this season. No matter how it goes they need to keep their head held high.

CW wins another close one and ends another undefeated season in the process!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Whose home/away? Doesnt it flip flop each year? With the new system, how does it work now. Also I think tbe Goochland/Gretna game will be a good one. Gretna is hard to beat at State and Goochland being in A for the first year after dropping, should be one for the ages. Gretna 34 Goochland 31

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wel having seen CW three time in person and scouted Galax twice its a toss up. Most of these kids are the same one that won State in Basketball last year and are big athletes, long,lean and speedy also their head coach is a former NFL lineman with the Miami Dolphins I think this is his 3rd year, last year they lost to EM in regional finals. Castlewood scored first cause they recovered a Galax fumble and scored on a pass, then nothing else until late. They aren't as sppedy as Sussex but have same quickness and better specila teams and coaching.Talked to a few people who said Meade is hurting again from the knee injury so that isn't going to help.
    If the Greenwave can keep Galax under 21 pts then they can win, and its essentially a home game for Galax since salem will be an hour ride away they can have a normal day, go to school, practice at home,sleep in their own beds Friday and not have to travel. That is a reason I wish the Coaches association would petition to flip start time for D1 and D2 games every other year, if it was a 4 pm start Clintwood could travel Saturday morning.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ive not seen Galax play but i have seen the Green Wave play. Everything i have said about clintwood has come to pass. They have more heart than any team I have seen this season and they have proven that our timeless style of hit em in the chin football CAN win against speed teams. The biggest difference in htis game is Galax is used to hitting and getting hit, they aint an eastern team that cant take the punishment play after play. IMO Clintwood is going to have to do something they have not done all season, jump on Galax early! I dont think the wave can afford to let Galax score first and play from behind. I think it will be a wonderful ball game to watch and IMO it proves that the two best teams are in the WEST

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast