Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Lee football carousel still rolling

Forget it all, Barry wasn't hired, figured so.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UnIoNfAn View Post
    Barry Jones is by far the BEST coach that has ever coached in SWVA. The stats back this statment up. Barry was the reason for 7 of the 8 State championships at Powell Valley and Barry also played a huge roll in Gate city's last two state championships. That man is wearing 9, yes count them9, state rings for coaching. Thats more than any active coach in SWVA. It was proven when Barry left Powell Valley and went to Gatecity that Barry was the driving force behind the winning tradition at Powell Valley. In 2005 Phill made it back to the state game with PV and lost (the only state lose for the vikings). Phill is an offencive genius, a fact that was proven time and again with powell valley, but if Phill has to so much as worry about anything other than his offece then he goes all to hell and cant keep up with it. Barry basicly ran the show for years and was more loved than any other coach has been at Powell Valley. Barry made Phill and I feel like that is a statement that anyone who ever wore the Columbian blue will agree with. If Barry goes to Lee high, you can expect to see a huge difference in there team within two years. Barry dont play politics, Barry plays football players. He will in no way give into the political BS or be bought off. If Lee lands Barry Jones they will have the best coach that has ever put on ear phones in SWVA.
    Best coach to ever? Wow...Cummins,Frye,Riggs,Turner...that's a stretch man
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    Best coach to ever? Wow...Cummins,Frye,Riggs,Turner...that's a stretch man
    By naming those four coaches, which one would get the nod on being the best defensive coach, mine would have to go(and I am probably biased)
    1. Riggs
    2. Cummins
    3. Frye
    4. Turner.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I really don't want to start a disagreement, Turners last year as an assistant- his defense outscored the offense. I can't see how you could pick a clear "best coach" for this area. It is finally starting to sink in, we were blessed with kids that wanted to win and coaches and parents that didn't cause problems. I've had some folks (out of the area) tell me 'you never see that" at home. The level of football the kids and coaches provided won't ever be the same. It's sad, but I think the world has changed too much to have a real "hard nosed" coach again. The schools have talent and the coaches are good, I just think times have changed too much.
    We'll keep the lights on for you.
    Spuds

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think we were talking of Tom, not Travis. I know Travis was an assistant down at Lee for a while. Politics at the schoolboard level is what is killing Lee, along with the parents thinking that their "little Johnny" is better when is reality, they aren't. Same thing will happen to Wise county schools if someone at the SB level doesn't put a stop to it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Phil Robbins won seven state titles, how is he not on the short list of the best coaches ever in teh area?
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

All the above mentioned coaches are legends no doubt bu Barry has racked up 9 state championships with two programs, thats nearly the same amount as the other gentlemen combined have. Riggs and Turner made bulldog football, point blank. combined they had 5 state championships. Cummins was an amazing motivator and he himself won 3 state titles I think. Frye loved smashmouth football and made men out of boys and won 3 titles as well i think. I may not be exact on those numbers but give or take 2 thats a total 11ish state titles for 4 coaches that are legends in SWVA. Barry has 9 by himself. He won 7 at powell valley and two more at Gatecity. Its a fair assesment to say that where ever Barry goes winning traditions follow this man. IMO and its souly that, Barry is the best coach to ever stand on a SWVA sideline. He dont get the credit the other coaches get but Barry deserves to be right up there beside Turner, Frye, Cummins, and Riggs. Barry was powell valley's heart and soul for over 20 years and put a fire in the blue devils that had been burning a little less than normal before his arrival. His role at GC wasnt as "hands on" as it was a Powell Valley, but it was still transformingly strong enough to bring two titles to Scott Co. in what a 6 year span. Barry is by far the most underestimated, overlooked, and best all around coach in SWVA. He ranks with the above mentioned men and IMO is tops

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    Phil Robbins won seven state titles, how is he not on the short list of the best coaches ever in teh area?
    the biggest reason Phil isnt mentioned is it was proven that those 7 titles were more Barry than Phill. If you played under Barry then im sure you can agree. Phill, as I mentioned earlier, is an offensive mastermind but if he has to do anything other than his offense he cant handle it. Barry was like a NASCAR crew chief, he basicly done it all except set in the driver's seat at powell valley.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by centennialdawg View Post
    I think we were talking of Tom, not Travis. I know Travis was an assistant down at Lee for a while. Politics at the schoolboard level is what is killing Lee, along with the parents thinking that their "little Johnny" is better when is reality, they aren't. Same thing will happen to Wise county schools if someone at the SB level doesn't put a stop to it.
    Tom is who I was talking about.
    We'll keep the lights on for you.
    Spuds

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)