Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Lee football carousel still rolling

Quote Originally Posted by UnIoNfAn View Post
    the biggest reason Phil isnt mentioned is it was proven that those 7 titles were more Barry than Phill. If you played under Barry then im sure you can agree. Phill, as I mentioned earlier, is an offensive mastermind but if he has to do anything other than his offense he cant handle it. Barry was like a NASCAR crew chief, he basicly done it all except set in the driver's seat at powell valley.
    Thats an absolute joke. So the DC was more important to the success of a team than the HC/OC? Give me a break. As far as I know, PV never won a state title 2-0.
    Thats downplaying the contributions of Phil, and its simply inaccurate.

Not taking anything away from Jones, he was a great DC and an integral part of PVs success, but to claim he was the only reason and was more important to PV winning state titles is crazy
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Barry was the O line coach, D coordinator, headed up special teams, and helped with the backfield blockers. Phill proved he couldnt win a state title without Barry. The gatecity boys can tell ya that Barry Knows football and is one heck of a motivator. I played under Barry and one year without Barry at Powell Valley and the differece was HUGE. Barry made Phill and if you played under Barry you would know that. Barry is 9 and 0 in state games, Phill is 7 and 1 (1 lose without Barry)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Barry is 9-1 I believe. He was on staff for the Gretna blowout of GC I do believe.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeeeppppppp

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UnIoNfAn View Post
    Barry was the O line coach, D coordinator, headed up special teams, and helped with the backfield blockers. Phill proved he couldnt win a state title without Barry. The gatecity boys can tell ya that Barry Knows football and is one heck of a motivator. I played under Barry and one year without Barry at Powell Valley and the differece was HUGE. Barry made Phill and if you played under Barry you would know that. Barry is 9 and 0 in state games, Phill is 7 and 1 (1 lose without Barry)
    Ive said I thought Barry was a great coach, but he was not the sole reason they won state titles, thats absurd.

Like I said, PV never won a state title 2-0. If Barry won all those titles, how come the offense always had to score 20+ points? and lol, its not like PV was running out state title talent every year after Barry left. It dropped off considerably.

If Barry was such a great coach, why has he never been a HC anywhere?
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Because he's smarter than the average bear
    n/a

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Barry never wanted HC. Did you play under Barry Biggin? Barry ran the show at Powell Valley. He was NOT DC, Barry was Asistant Head Coach my friend. The reason Barry hasnt had a head coaches job isnt lack of offers, its Not what he wanted to do. like lemonade1 said "Because he's smarter than the average bear". The proof that Barry made powell valley, manassas park was good enough to get beat by at 20 points from any of the 85, 89,90,94,95,97,98 Powell Valley teams but was at the same time good enough to beat Phill without Barry and give powell valley its ONLY state loss. Barry is 9 and 0 Phill is 7 and 1. Barry ran pretty much everything except offense play calling for most of his career at powell valley. Barry is the better coach

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I use to work with Barry's wife, I believe he would have liked to have been head coach at one time and she would have liked for him to have been head coach at one time. Even though I was told this pretty much directly I really can't speak for him or her and neither can anyone else here.

Bottom line is that before Phil took the job at PV they had won 1 (that's one) LPD title in the schools history. It's pretty hard to assign all the credit for that upon an assistant, regardless of how good he was, and he was (is) very good.

As for Manassas Park I don't fully agree there either. They weren't as good as some of the PV title teams, but they were unique in their attack and had a solid talented team that had put a pretty good thrashing on some other decent teams. They were without a doubt better than the North Hampton team PV beat or the Powhatan team that PV beat for state titles.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Your right Barry never wanted a HC job. He didnt even want the GC job when colobro left. He never wanted the attention, I played for him and asked him many times if he ever wanted to be a HC somewhere, he always said no because he rather be an assistant and work behind the scenes. He said back in his hayday he did want to be a HC a little bit. The man is smart and a killer guy. Had some of the best sayings too. He is done coaching, his mother passed away not to long ago, his kids have moved on, he is just settling down.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Like ya said Gotch, before Phill PV had one lpd title and one state championship. Durring the Phill and Barry era PV racked up 7 more state titles and probably 14 LPD titles. After Barry left PV won 2 to three 3 LPD titles and 0 state titles. Phill's record at prior to PV was about like it was after Barry left, a couple good seasons and a few district titles but not one state title. Dont get me wrong, Im not saying that Phill isnt a good OC but with 7 years combined of me and my brothe playing under Phill and Barry and numberous other years of being around the practices, camps, ect... Barry was the biggest reason for PV's success and a great deal of the reason GC put up two state titles while he was there. Kids love Barry and play their hearts out for that man, hes the best motivator and probably one of the highest knowledgable men when it comes to football. The numbers speak for themselves, Barry's defences seldom let a team put more than 20 points on the board and more often then not kept teams under 14. Not to mention his offensive blocking schemes were amazing. Barry coached more than DC, he ran the offense line, DC, fullback, strength and conditioning (which is the biggest factor), and special teams. Look at PV prior, durring, and after Barry and tell me the records dont speak for themselves. Barry was the reason for PV's success. Phill took the same kids that played under Barry and couldnt go past first round of the playoffs (sometimes region d game). Look at Gatecity's record. 1997 was their last state title, Barry arrives and in two years they are wearing another ring. Couple years later another ring. Gatecity went from a quality team to a finely tuned machine. GC never was a slouch program, but Barry gave that something extra that he brings and wham bam two titles in what 5 years.