Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Would Jesus accept evolution?

Seriously man, I said to a person of faith, God is fact. This is the religion forum, and he did ask the question "Would Jesus accept evolution?". That, to me, asks a Christian, who believes God is fact, the question.
    BUT--my point stands. If we're having a discussion on evolution in any other forum than a religious one, God is not fact. You, as a believer, can believe God is fact--but when relative to the discussion, God is not scientific fact. That was my point. I'm not discounting how much you believe in God or whatnot, I'm just saying he's not scientifically provable.

I'm not questioning your faith or anyone else's and I brought that point up to show how crazy it is to give this subject credence on here especially when you know the POV that R13's going to come from--a scientific one.

He WANTS the discussion to "degrade" ,as you so condescendingly put it, into a religious conversation simply so he can state that he has scientific fact, and you have only faith, so he must be right, and you must not be able to "think for yourself".
    Therefore your left with Christians,and all religious people, on this board left with the choice of ignoring him or giving in to our emotions and defending the thing we believe in, and our own intellect...that he claims we are hindered in.
    If you took my point about the discussion degrading wrong, then I'm sorry. I didn't say it degraded simply because it became one with a religious slant. I've had many great discussions that blended with religion. Where I should have simplified what I meant as far as "degrade" meant in what I said is the bickering and idiocy of people fooling themselves into thinking they're going to change the other side's mind somehow. THAT is a degraded conversation that had some potential to be a good one...but it got too personal and controversial that it degraded into this (paraphrasing):

R13: The scientific facts show X, and this proves that religion is wrong and you lack intellect for believing in it.

Everyone Else: God is the fact here, and I refuse to discuss any scientific facts because I believe in the Bible.

So...that's where we are. That's what I meant by degraded...not just on one side or the other--I'm placing zero blame. I'm just saying the discussion is dead and pointless given the polarization of the two sides having the discussion.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoeburnCane View Post
    R13: The scientific facts show X, and this proves that religion is wrong and you lack intellect for believing in it.
    CORRECT paraphrasing

Everyone Else: God is the fact here, and I refuse to discuss any scientific facts because I believe in the Bible.
    INCORRECT paraphrasing

The fact is, everyone on the religious side agreed that Jesus might in fact agree with evolution and tried to discuss how it goes along with the Bible. My first post in this thread was about how I believe that science and religion can coexist. The degredation of the thread came when r13 was not expecting this response, and had to say we lack in intellect, because of reading an "old book". He has no desire to have a conversation with anyone...its all about him being right, and the rest being stupid.

So...that's where we are. That's what I meant by degraded...not just on one side or the other--I'm placing zero blame. I'm just saying the discussion is dead and pointless given the polarization of the two sides having the discussion.
    My apologies, it seemed as though you were saying the religious part of the conversation was the degrading part.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson

Inactive Member collegetrumpet2010's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Point blank, if you didn't want a religious discussion then you shouldn't have had your title say "would jesus accept evolution?". And obviously, don't post it in the religion forum if you don't want a religious debate. That's like talking about Beethoven and saying you don't want a musical discussion.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by collegetrumpet2010 View Post
    Point blank, if you didn't want a religious discussion then you shouldn't have had your title say "would jesus accept evolution?". And obviously, don't post it in the religion forum if you don't want a religious debate. That's like talking about Beethoven and saying you don't want a musical discussion.
    Bingo.

And I'll put this out there for everyone to see: R13 needs to think about the above before posting any further in the Religion Board. The next thread I see like this one that's put up there just to bash and start a mini-holy war will be deleted, and it's entirely possible the access to this board might be gone for him as well.

BUT--some of the rest of you need to take the reins and actually post on here. For a bunch of people who come out and get outraged when R13 posts, I rarely see other religious postings on here, where they're supposed to be.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'll be damned, guess I was talking to myself earlier or you all purposely ignored the first thing I said in that long post.

"Huhh? Were my arguments from a religious standpoint? No they weren't, did you even read the OP? It was an article explaining that since christianity is a religion that claims it's about about truth and evolution is fact, why do they still refuse to accept it? Apparently a few of you all missed that, none of my arguments are from a religious standpoint, so where are you all getting I'm mixing it in with it? Talking about the others sides attempt to connect it with religion and not accepting it on religion, wasn't arguing anything from a religious standpoint about evolution, the whole argument is that it's not a religious debate and people shouldn't reject it because of it.

And where in the hell was the complaining about posters talking about religion? I never once did, I obviously posted it on this board for a reason - where else would I, esp when that's the name of the article? I was talking about the debate as a whole, not the exhange on this forum in this thread, really don't know how it was even taken that way. Damn."

Never once complained about anything anyone posted or the content of the thread, even clarified it in another post, but still what 2-3 posts right here completely ignoring that and rambling on about things I never said.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    I'll be damned, guess I was talking to myself earlier or you all purposely ignored the first thing I said in that long post.
    i was just returning the favor haha...... nah man there is really no point at all in discussing religion, ive said that before, you can put 1000000 people in a room and maybe 20 or so in 20 different groups will agree. The rest will just walk out getting no further than they did to begin with.
    Cant we all just get along?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    YOU dont know what you are, you have claimed to be atheist, and agnostic at the same time in different portions of this forum clearly claiming to be an atheist when you backed up an article with WE* (meaning myself and these atheists) then trying to say ooops i meant we because im agnostic and figured id throw myself in there anyway. <---- laughable, make up your mind. I have no and I mean NO cares of what religion (or lack of religion) that people follow. I DO however think its bullshit that you always claim that Christians are trying to force religion down others throats, yet you get on here every day and try to disprove it. WHO is trying to force beliefs here R13? YOu post shit like this just to piss off shooter and whoever else has a strong Christian belief, then try to defend yourself when they say something about it?
    Wtf? You're going to tell me I do and don't know about my own beliefs? Never claimed to be an atheist at all and the thread you're talking about, the "we" was as in "we non-believers", that was explained in that thread and hell even think that post too...no slip up or me claiming it was a slip in anything. So you're wrong there again. Because I don't call myself what my parents religion was and because I actually put some thought into my beliefs doesn't mean I'm somehow confused with the whole thing...if there's a belief/group that fits with beliefs, thats what I'll call myself, just like right now I'm reading a lot on humanism and it seems to fit my beliefs more than just agnosticism. Which by the way, that doesn't mean you're in the middle between there being a god and not being one there's different definitions - most lean one way or the other and I was a secular agnostic, which means I don't think there is a god but its a debate that can never be determined...but that doesn't mean there isn't evidence available and that the 99.99% of leaning one way, just that it's something that can only completely be answered after death.

But I never flipflopped on anything as you're trying to claim, as I learn more and more the evidence keeps piling up that there is no god and I lean more that way. So that's bullshit with the I need to "make my mind up", there's no cutoff with learning and changing how you think or what you believe. You're crazy if you think I just claimed to be agnostic just for this forum sake, when have I ever been shy about what I believe on here?

And I've explained that a million times, arguing about religion isn't forcing it on anyone, I have never complained about that on here ever...never complained about the threads/posts in favor of a god is forcing anything on me or anyone. When I say that, it's when they force it through legislation or other ways, not on here...when you inject a religion in a secular gov. and try to pass legislation/rules that unconstitutionally effects everyone, that's forcing it on others. I post mostly because I'm board, I don't care if anyone comes in, I've told everyone of these people if they don't lke it...don't read it or reply, I don't care either way. When someone posts in the prayer thread or when cosmo was posting her threads, did I feel insecure in my beliefs that I had to go in and say "no, no, no...that's not true" or whatever, I just stay in my threads and people come in...I don't see them as trying to get a rise out of me, honestly I don't flatter myself that much unlike others who think I'm directing everything at them. They're more than willing to argue, they complain and complain about what I post only when they either know they have no argument or just don't like what they see. Seen shooEer claim I post this and that to put people down(mostly claiming shit I have never said), but what do people do? They come into the threads and argue, if that was true, why not just stay out? Because that's a bullshit excuse and it's not true, fact is I don't really give a damn about what's said on here, I don't take it all that seriously...mostly it's a cure for being board and gives me something to do, but others take it way too personally. I've probably been called every name in the book on here and most on here don't like me, hell even threatened by several posters, don't see me bitching about it or even really caring. It's a forum and the internet, it's not like I have anything against anyone who posts on here, I've met several and they could tell you I'm one of the nicest people you'll meet and will talk to and shake your hand. Everything is left at the computer where it should be, if I got pissed about everything said on here or cared what any stranger behind a screen thought about me then I'd stay pissed...but I don't, hell I don't even take life that seriously to care that much about what people think.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123