Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would a (almost) four year old be better with AG or Hopscotch HIll?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Not sure what to get - I really want a #28 (for me, of course), but friends say she'd be better off with an ebay purchased Hopscotch Hill girl? Thoughts on what would be best for an almost four year old?

Lisa

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My dd started out with a bitty baby when she was 2 and then got the Hopscotch Hill dolls when she was 4. She was going to preschool then and loved to play school at home so I knew she would really like them. She had fun with them for a couple of years but at age 7 she is now into the big 18" AG dolls. I have since sold Logan on Ebay and I do have a Hallie and Gwen doll brand new in the box that I will be listing on ebay soon plus many of the other HH accessories. She is just not interested in them since she now has Felicity and Elizabeth. I think they are cute fun dolls and perfect for an almost 4 year old!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Carrie! Can you tell me what they're like? Size? Poseability (is that a word)? Also, how many were there? I have seen three on ebay (not too keen on the soccer outift)!

Would you be willing to sell yours before ebay? What was the original asking price?

Thanks so much!

Lisa

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My almost three-year-old has had an 18" Samantha for over a year. She loves her and really enjoys her a lot.We plan to give her another 18" for Christmas. We tried to give her a Hopscotch Hill doll, but she thinks they are very scary. [img]confused.gif[/img] [img]eek.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Funny about the scary thing! I do find their faces a bit frightening - at least in pics. The 18" dolls faces are so sweet and innocent. Hmmm...

She does have an old Berenguer Classmates doll (a find in the thrift store) which she likes - after rewigging.

Maybe I should take the plunge?

Aaaaahhhh!

Lisa

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think you should. [img]wink.gif[/img] I bet your daughter would be great with an 18" girl. And #28 looks sooo pretty!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The HH dolls are very poseable and I also agree that their faces are kind of odd looking in pics but very cute in person. You either like them or don't is what I've found with most people. I used to teach first grade before I had my children and I just really liked the educational side of them. The books are wonderful and the dolls, clothes, rainbow board, desk, etc.....are all just adorable. If you want to encourage a love of learning and school with your dd you can't go wrong with this line!

PM me if you're interested and I can put the dolls up in the for sale section sticky!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would go with a Bitty Baby for an almost 4 year old.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My oldest got Hallie and Logan for Christmas when she was 4 and she was thrilled! She loves those dolls and spends hours playing school with them. My little one loves them as well and will be getting Skylar and Gwen this Christmas.

They are wonderfully poseable. They can sit criss cross applesauce. They're smaller and thinner than the 18" dolls. They're easy to carry around-- they fit easily in a backpack or bag along with clothes so they're easy to take to playdates. Their hair is also easier for my DD to manage than the hair on the 18" dolls-- she can do ponytails and braids on Logan and loves being able to do her doll's hair herself.

We love HH dolls around here. I've found all the dolls and accessories to be far nicer in person than they looked online or in the catalogs. I agree with what was said earlier-- the Rainbow Activity Board is a fabulous toy. It gets tons of use around here (though the clings have never worked for us-- they won't flatten out).

I'm not crazy about the soccer outfit either but Gwen is a cute doll and can be dressed in more appealing clothes.

To answer your question-- there were four HH dolls. Hallie, Logan, Skylar and Gwen. Hallie has curly-ish, red hair and comes in a purple outfit. Logan is blond, comes in overalls, and goes for $$$ on ebay. Skylar is African American with long curls and comes in an ankle length skirt. Gwen is a brunette with braids and comes in the soccer outfit.

That said, there is no toy in the world my girls prefer to their Bittys. There's just nothing like a special baby doll.

We have held off on the 18" dolls for the girls because we wanted them to have something to look forward to, to know the stories before they choose their dolls and so forth. That has worked well for our family but every family is different.

I don't think you can make a bad choice here.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It depends on your daughter I think. If she is pretty careful with her toys, she will do great with 18 inch doll. My daughter got Sam when she was 3 1/2, and she is still in very good shape. DD is 10 now. My niece, on the other hand is mass destructo, so she won't be getting a real AG for quite a while...most of her dolls have no heads. I do agree with the short hair idea for the first doll though. DD was always asking me to brush Sam's hair, at times it did get tangled. You certainly wouldn't have that problem with Kit or Nellie. I think the new JLY doll that looks like Marisol would probably be OK too. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Shelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast