Thread: How can you fix "sticky" eyes on AGs ?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry

I was fixing up my PM Josefina the other day and noticed that her right eye "stuck" whenever she was laid down and then picked up again. It's not that big of a deal since most of my dolls are in stands or sit in furniture, but in case I end up selling her, I don't wanna give her to someone with a "sticky" eye. Is there anything I can do to fix it, or would I have to send her to AG to get them to replace her eyes? Any help/thoughts are appreciated.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you get a can of compressed air and blow on them a ton of debris comes out.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do you mean you remove the head and blow the air up from the neck or do you blow the air right into the eye?

thepidget

Originally posted by wdwendyd:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> If you get a can of compressed air and blow on them a ton of debris comes out.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do you mean you remove the head and blow the air up from the neck or do you blow the air right into the eye?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think Sail-Away meant blowing the air into the eye.

Sanguinarius

Yep blow the hair right into the eye. I am lucky enough to have a regular air compressor with which to do this. If you are looking for a cheap way to do it....try going to a service station where you can use their's.

GreyMyst

Originally posted by Sail-Away:
    Yep blow the hair right into the eye. I am lucky enough to have a regular air compressor with which to do this. If you are looking for a cheap way to do it....try going to a service station where you can use their's.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Or go to the computer section at walmart (or any department store or computer place), and get a can of compressed air for electronics there. It's less than $10, and it works VERY well. It's meant to blow dust out of computer disk drives and stuff.

I wouldn't trust a service station to not have the compressor turned up high enough to blast the eyes to smithereens myself. The cans meant for electronics are safer on delicate parts.

It's not real cost effective if you do LOTS of dolls, but certainly for most people it'd probably be the way to go.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a head that used to belong to Felicity (she's now trying to find herself and has had changed her hair and body numerous times)with sticky eye. I tried the can of air for the computer but it didn't work. DH has a air compressor so I'll get him to try it. Thanks for the advice.

Sanguinarius

Most often your doll just needs a good cleaning. 10 out of the 18 dolls who I have have worked on had sticky eyes. If you get a can of compressed air and blow on them a ton of debris comes out. It's sometimes quite gross. Don't use the air so close that the liquid goes in. All in all any left over liquid dries out when you blow the air in but just do it with a little care.

I do not suggest oiling them. The case of the eye is metal and plastic. the oil will come back out of the socket and makes a mess of the doll and the eye lashes. I am sure Dionne can attest to that. She had a bitty that was a mess form someone oiling the eye. The "pin" to hinge the eye is just a platic nub like they have on a door for a dool house or a toy now a days.

Cleaning really is the best way to go.

I am planning on making a eye repair post on Playthings. I am in the process of repairing on of my WB doll eyes that the eye has broken on.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

WOW! The compressed air (the kind for the computer) totally worked. I had some on hand and gave it a try, and after about 5 sprays, her eyes were moving great!! Thanks so much Sail-Away for the advice!! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]