Thread: How to END Dishonest Ebay Transactions!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

If one is buying a Super-8 Camera and the seller claims the camera is in good condition, there is a way to verify this.

Ask the seller if they would be willing to make a demonstration tape as they check out the functions on the Super-8 camera up for auction.

The criteria is simple. If the seller is claiming the Super8 camera works fine in their Ebay description, then they can shoot a dv demo, no editing or stopping at any time (as this would allow them to switch out the camera with a similar model) while they are checking the camera out.

Included in the demo should be a zoom into the serial number on the camera, again, without the camera recording ever stopping. If they take 25 minutes to check out the Super-8 camera, then they make an unedited 25 minute demo tape checking the camera out.

If a seller is not willing to make a tape of themselves checking out the Super-8 camera, then tell the seller you won't bid on the camera. The $3.00 DV tape is then shipped along with the camera!

If there is a difference in video formats between the seller and the buyer, for instance PAL versus NTSC, I think the seller, since they are a seller, can handle the different video format requirement by simply owning a cheapie camcorder that records in the video format that matches where the camera is being shipped to.

To make this idea also worthwhile to the seller, they would only be required to make the demo tape if the price of the auction goes over $50.00.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

nice thought.

a con man was advertising a 'video box' on the internet, telling punters this would get them 'professional cin? transfers' to digital, at a fraction of the professional cost. so tongue in cheek, i asked him if his box mysteriously cured 'flicker' as well? he said he didn't know, cos he never personally used the box device himself

can you believe this?

caveat emptor

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've just experienced my first eBay ripoff, as a seller. The buyer paid via Paypal, I shipped the parcel to his business address - uninsured, with no tracking # or proof of confirmation, my duh - and he claimed he never received it. Oof. B&H Filmo, Pan Cinor Zoom lens, and 400' magazine. I'm out one camera & lens, $150 and have bank and Paypal fees to boot.

Here's the weird part - part of the shipment was returned in a different box. Somebody opened the parcel, kept the camera and lens, repackaged the 400' magazine and shipped it back to me, marked "Return to Sender" . It wasn't bad enough to commit mail fraud - somebody decided to show me the proof!

Lesson - always insure, get a tracking number, and demand the purchaser pay for the added shipping.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

If you feel comfortable naming the Individual, go right ahead.

I'd ask the local police where the product was shipped to see if they would get involved as what they did constitutes postal fraud.

Or, get a local P.I. to do some surveillance on the location where the camera was shipped to see if they are using your camera for shoots.

It might cost a bit of money but at that point you could end up getting reimbursed for everything or the other person could end up being charged with serious offenses.

I'd ask the chamber of commerce in the city you were robbed to help you because the name of their city will otherwise be put on internet forums as not being a city friendly to preventing fraud.

See if they are willing to refer a P.I. who will do a couple of half day investigations very cheaply.

I'd wait to refund the money also. If you haven't touched the components that were returned you could have them finger printed as well.

I wouldn't take it if I were you because you are empowering and rewarding a thief to do to others what they have already done to you.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I held the money a couple weeks until Paypal grabbed it; I had no choice. Check out Paypal's "Resolution Center" sometime - if you don't have a tracking number to back you up, their only resolution is to pay back the buyer. Interestingly, I emailed Paypal Customer Service with my side of the story, and they sent back a reply warning me to be on the lookout for suspicious emails! They don't even read the service complaints.

I don't know who the perpetrator is, because my parcel would pass through several hands before arriving at the customer. Anybody could have pulled this trick. But if it were the buyer, I wish him all the best with his stolen merchandise - he'll pay 10x over for it. Ya know, karma and all that...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

If you paid for postage both ways, you most likely would have paid significantly more postage when you first sent the package then for return shipping because some of the items didn't make it back.

This is how you begin to build a case. If you strongly believe you were wronged, and can cite different postal charges when comparing the shipping charges then I think you can get either the postal inspector involved or the police.

You can post the ebay item number here (assuming it hasn't been over 3 months), or reveal who the buyer was.

Sometimes counting on karma requires giving karma a proper push in the right direction.