Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Wow! I am testing some Fuji Velvia 50 ASA film.

The short clip that I saw at Spectra Film & Video looked spectacular. It looked like 16mm, but with more contrast. The colors were spectacular.

Same day processing on a stock that rivals and perhaps surpasses Kodachrome! Wow o Wow.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

I just finished my first cartridge of Velvia!

Velvia, Velvia, I just met a film named Velvia, and suddenly I've found, there is same day processing in town, Velviaaaaaaa. (that was from the Walter Hill classic "West Side Story", originally known as "Maria", but now also known as Velvia)

I'm really intrigued that since Velvia is already an outdoor film it's rated 50 asa instead of 25 the way kodachrome 40 was. I really think that extra stop might make a noticeable difference, especially for magic hour and twilight shots, including the time-exposure variety.

Should I shoot a second cartridge before I see the first one? Decisions, decisions.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Did you get an advanced test sample cart Alex? Spectra still has it listed on its website as a "pre-order" item. Thinking about going to pick one up tomorrow if its ready to go. $35.00--ouch!

Tim

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

I bought four cartridges and I'm planning on buying more. There is someone I know who was going to shoot a feature in mini-dv and now is considering the velvia instead.

However, their project is not going to be shot locally so I think part of the advantage of same day or next day velvia dailies is lost. I'm mulling over a feature film idea myself.

I'm considering selling all of my Kodachrome stash and putting it towards Velvia.

As for cost, 35 bucks for me is a deal because I always fed-ex my kodachrome film to Dwaynes both ways!

Getting film back in one or two days from the lab with no shipping charges and having the quality be equal or better than Kodachrome is just too tempting to pass up.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

So I've shot 3 and 1/2 cartridges so far. Dropped them off at Spectra and they were processed by the end of the day.

I'm anxiously awaiting to see the results, but I won't ever project the film, I want it as pristine as possible for the rank transfer I plan on doing.

I shot some time-exposure, some time-lapse, and a wide angle shot of a performer who among his many talents does card tricks. I'm pleased with the range of what I shot.

What I am slightly bugged by are my cameras are in need of servicing, nobodies fault really, I'm just anxious to get my several Eumig's serviced as soon as possible.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

The initial results reveal a film stock that is a hybrid between Kodachrome Reversal and Negative film stocks. More range than Kodachrome in terms of ASA sensitivity and minimal grain, yet a different look than what one gets with negative Super-8.

Yes, at times there can be a purpleness to the stock, but also, there are incredible greens and reds and yellows to revel in.

Velvia is a film stock worthy of knowing.

Kodak's Ektachrome 100D looks phenomenal in 16mm, however I don't know how that will translate to Super-8 in terms of grain if it were to be released in Super-8 at some point. I'll be perfectly happy to shoot 50D Kodak negative when or if it is to be released in Super-8, but in the meantime, the Fuji Velvia will prove an excellent stock until Kodak has it's manufacturing plant for super-8 completely back in the States.

Kodak sells black and white and negative stocks but with the demise of Kodachrome 40 no true replacement exists. The 64T has it's moments and I consider the 64T to be a speciality reversal stock, it offers excellent colors but with a bit more grain that I personally like for when I'm shooting footage that I hope will look like 16mm.