Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi,

I picked up a Chinon 133PXL today at a garage sale. I bought it because it was only $5, I didn't think it would work, the box was all taped shut, so I decided to be adventerous.

I got home this afternoon, open the box, and a smaller box on top. I find a never used Chinon and a sylvania super 8 Sun gun. Both work, the gun is very bright...

Only issue was that the eyepeice had melted, and made a small mess, i got it all cleaned up though. This seems really intriguing to me.

I am not new to the video world, I make movies and such for fun, and edit them on my mac.

Any advice or any comments or such would be great!

Thanks

Greg

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Are you proficient with film as well as your with video?

Have you shot with film before?

Basically, you purchase a film cartridge. Place it in the camera, and shoot.

If the camera is shooting 18 frames per second, you will get 3 minutes and 20 seconds worth of film when the cartridge is complete.

The film is then sent to a film lab processed. At that point, you can attempt your own transfer to video or have the lab do the transfer for you, or, if you shoot reversal film, you can project it yourself with a super-8 projector or a movie viewer.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nope, never worked with film, just DV.

I've been reading, can I still get Kodachrome 40 cartridges? Or is there another kind that will work.

I had read somewhere, about taking the Super 8 tapes to Wal-Mart and getting them returned in a week or two. Is this still an option. What format would you get after having them processed?

Is the Chinon a decent camera?

Thanks

Greg

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kodachrome is not around anymore unless you buy it on eBay for probably too much money, but if you look at the links located above this forum you can buy film from different locations.

Reversal film such as Ektachrome 64 and Velvia 50 can be viewed with a projector or movie viewer, negative film stock will require transfering to video before you can view it.

The Chinon camera you bought is a very basic camera but one that is easy to use for someone beginning in Super-8.

It's basically all automatic so you can go through the entire process of shooting in film very easily to begin with.

Use the BLC button (backlight compensation) when shooting a scene that has a bright background as compared to the foreground.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If I wanted to get it to a format that I would edit digitally, how would I go about that? Preferrably without purchasing a projector..

Also, on the side of my camera, there is the "main switch"
    If I move the switch to the left is says, and to to the right it says 1. I assume the 18, is 18 fps

Thanks

Greg

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the help so far

I've been at different film options, what is the difference between reverse and other formats, and what would be a good alternative to Kodachrome, since it's not made anymore.

Also, I know of a few places that do 8mm and super 8mm transfer, would that work that be the same process, and same results as the ones you listed above.

Greg

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Your best reversal choices will be either black and white, Plus X or Tri X, Ektachrome 64 or Fuji Velvia 50.

I'm on the West Coast in the U.S. so I would consider Yale or Spectra Film & Video for processing, and then decide about Transfering afterwards. Sometimes they can tell you if you got an image before you invest in any kind of a transfer.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Yes, the one means single frame, 18 means 18 frames per second.

Other than scanning technology, you'll either need to purchase a transfer system, a projector, or have it transferred by a facility.

Yale, Spectra, Film & Video transfers all offer this transfer service. You can even have one cartridge transfered as a "camera test" by either Yale or Spectra.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Yes, the one means single frame, 18 means 18 frames per second.

Other than scanning technology, you'll either need to purchase a transfer system, a projector, or have it transferred by a facility.

Yale, Spectra, Film & Video transfers all offer this transfer service. You can even have one cartridge transfered as a "camera test" by Yale, Spectra, or Film and Video.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the help

This just seems too expensive for my current financials, though this is really cool. I think I might just hold onto my camera for now

Thanks

Greg