0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

esf 1 2006 Cover web

SMALL FORMAT 01/2006 WILL BE SHIPPED NEXT WEEK:

NEWS
    final processing dates for all Kodachrome Super 8 film and Kodachrome 16mm film
    photo and film fairs around the globe
    2006 awards
    the end of Kodachrome 40 in 16mm
    new Fuji Eterna and Reala film stocks for Super 8

TEST
    smallformat tested five E6 labs and the new GK-Film Cinevia and Ektachrome 100D film stocks in Super-8

screening
    THE REFRIGERATOR CINEMA
    Johan van Gend from Utrecht, The Netherlands, has a wonderful movie theatre under his roof

interview
    HALF A LIFE FOR PERRY RHODAN
    Hans-Joachim Thunack spent forty years making an 8mm science fiction movie

zoom
    VIDEO SU.CKS
    Micah Toub met some Super 8 Heroes who will stick to film

time lapse
    INFLIGHT FLICKS
    Michael Gubisch looks back at the great time when Super 8 and 16mm projectors put on a show in airplanes

the old babies
    REDISCOVERING AN OLD NIKON PROTOTYPE
    J?rgen Lossau dug into the history of the famous Japanese company and found a camera that didn?t see the light of the showcases

labs
    HIROHAZU OKAZAKI KEEPS SINGLE-8 ALIVE
    A visit to the Fuji lab in Tokyo

single-8
    THE UNKNOWN GIANTS
    J?rgen Lossau presents some portraits of rare Single-8 cameras with additional commentary by Japanese Single-8 expert Muddy Orihara

power pack
    ALL IN THE FAMILY The full list of all Single-8 models ever made

movie school
    EXCEPTIONAL EDITS MAKE THE DIFFERENCE
    says Arnold H. M?ller ? and he gives many concrete examples

16mm
    THE VIEW FROM OUTSIDE
    How to build in a video monitor inside your Arri camera ? Let Oliver Kochs teach you

test
    COLOURLESS CREATIVITY
    Ronald Vedrilla shot the new Kodak Plus X black & white film stock and talks about his experiences

test
    THIS DUO OFFERS OPTIMAL EDITING
    The German company Hammann still builds cement splicers for 8mm, Super 8, 9.5mm and 16mm

forum
    LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
    Readers pass along their impressions of smallformat issue no. 1/2005

SMALL FORMAT 02/2006 INVITES YOU TO EXPLORE THESE TOPICS:

Portrait of Pro8mm
    James Grahame visits America?s largest small format film forge in Burbank, California. Film cutting, processing, digital transfer - our reporter takes a look behind the scenes of this company and interviews company president Phil Vigeant.

Digital Film Transfers
    Trevor Markwart transferred his raw Super-8 footage as uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2 direct to hard drive SDI, the maximum possible for Standard Definition. It is NTSC 720 x 486, essentially the same as digiBeta in image quality. He introduces six international transfer services that will conjure small-format film to digital signals for the hard drive.

Winners and Losers
    Heiko Riemann lists a lot of Super 8 movie cameras. He tested their ability to shoot at ISO/ASA 40 and 160, and also at ISO/ASA 50, 64, 100, 200, 250 and even 400. Which cameras will be useless in the future, and which models are particularly commendable for their ability to run all new kinds of film stock?

British Film Collectors Convention
    John Clancy writes about the BFCC - the best and original film collector?s convention in Great Britain. The conventions are held at the Ealing Town Hall in London. Super 8 has been the mainstay of the convention since its inception and this is still largely the case, although the BFCC now enjoys 35mm shows as well as long established 16mm shows.

Monsieur 9.5mm
    J?rgen Lossau about Daniel Colland and his large-scale lab Cin? Dia with 57 employees. He has more than 1,000 customers worldwide still working with 9.5mm cameras. A club in France alone counts 250 members, all of them using 9.5 mm. But he has a lot of customers also in Great Britain, Spain, Germany, Sweden, Belgium and Norway. Colland uses Fuji Velvia from Japan. It is 35 mm wide and unsprocketed. Out of this material we make three strips of film 9.5 mm each with centered sprocketing.

Flashscan 8: The New Film-Scanner
    MWA-Nova of Berlin, Germany, presents a new real-time film scanner for 8mm, Super 8 and 9.5mm. The Flashscan 8 has been developed to offer a truly professional method of scanning these formats in real time, at a price that is cheaper than a Super 8mm gate on a traditional Telecine, whilst providing the same if not better results. Features include: all analogue video output formats (SDI optional); sound head; variable speed 25 frames - 3 frames per second; integrated primary and secondary colour correction; negative scanning. Users report their experiences.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We have 6 issues a year - and covers are changing. We do not often have the chance to present a really old picture for a cover story.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I read this forum and I personally think you're off-base on this one Alex.

As I am an historian myself, I really appreciate unique historical artifacts like this cover photo. And as a hook for the potential reader, I think it works as well--very intriguing and a nice draw to the accompanying story.

As I've said elsewhere, I think this was a brilliant choice for the cover Juergen. Much better than that other thing you were thinking of. What was it...a picture of a camera, or something like that? BORING. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Looking forward to the mag, and keep posting the interesting stuff you do Alex. I really do come by here everyday to see what you've got to say.

Tim

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Wow, looks like enough content for two issues!

Since nobody reads this forum anyways, just between you and me Juergen, I find the photo you chose both fascinating and troubling at the same time.

Fascinating because it's a 40 year old photo, and troubling because it's a 40 year old photo. I kind of want to see what's new with Super-8 on the cover. That being said, imagine tracking down the women in the photo and interviewing her for your article.

Maybe that is what is troubling me, the photo, as interesting as it is, probably doesn't include any personal info about or from the person on the cover, although I am assuming that at this point in time.

Well, the cover photo certainly does not fall into "normal" use of a front cover, so in that regards it is off the charts for originality.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's retroedgy.

I don't hate it, I do wish the projection aspect was a bit more clear. Hey, somebody turn the wayback machine on and lets go back and slightly change the angle of the shot!

How about the photo gets turned into a contest, the first person to identify the stewardess in the shot by name gets a one year subscription or a first class upgrade for their current Small Format subscription.

Hey, first class upgrade, picture of a women loading film on a plane, first class upgrade, get it, get it???

hahahahaha.

Perhaps it's time to break into the Velvia Song. [img]graemlins/shhh.gif[/img]