Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

I'm an independent filmmaker looking to buy my first super 8 to shoot some recreations for a historical doc. I'm overwhelmed by the choices on ebay and wondering if anyone out there might have some advice for a new-timer. I'm looking for something that will be user-friendly and reasonably priced. Super-high quality is not important, as I'm hoping to shoot in a more impressionistic, memory-evoking style (which is why I find the super 8 format appealing). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

A safe choice is Elmo, but some of their models only have 18 frames per second and single frame. 24 frames per second is considered "normal". Other reliable makers include Canon & Nizo.

You definitely want manual exposure and a couple of filming speed options plus a zoom lens of at least 4-1, preferably a 6-1 up to a 10-1.

If you're in Los Angeles call Spectra Film & Video as they like to keep around a couple of low cost super-8 cameras for sale that at the very least they have confirmed will run film satisfactorily. Doug and Jerry are very helpful. 818-762-4545

Yale Film lab might also have cameras available although I think their cameras are for rent only.
    818-508-9253

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, Alex. I am looking for variable frame rates, so I'm thinking about going with a Canon, maybe the 814. Is buying a Super 8 off of ebay too great a risk?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

I guess if you check eBay auctions and also check out the sellers praise and negative comments that might be okay.

Spectra film and video seems to have a few cameras available for sale at any given time. They really want the Super-8 cameras to work for you because then they have a chance of getting your film stock, processing and transfer service business yet there is no obligation to use their services if you don't want to.

Plus they know cameras and can probably fit you to a camera that best suits what you are looking for.