Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New to this Forum

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum but not new to Super 8 film production. Its great to see Kodak supporting Super 8 again. I was driven out of Super 8 in the mid 80,s and into video when the format started to slip with equipment and labs becoming difficult to access. However I am returning to Super 8 again. For those interested, I ran a production company in the early 80,s in super 8. I produced TV commercials and promotional film mainly with travel agency's like American Express. I used a Beaulieu 6008 and 7008 with a Super 8 sound recorder in double system with xtal lock. I had a KEM 4 plate editing beach which worked very well. I found the optics on the Beaulieu cameras a must. Super 8 works best with a good quality wide angle lens and a dolly. Its best to work at fixed distances and truck past. On tourist shoots the lens set to the 10/10 system is great hand held. Depth of field at F5.6 can be as good as 3ft to infinity using the 10/10 system. In going to television I had a Sony telecine multiplexer and a 3 tube JVC KY2700 camera and the depth of field through the multiplexer was around F11 meaning critical focus was not a problem. The projector was an Elmo ST 1200 with the lamp sandpapered out and running on a Varic at around 5 volts. One can set the lamp voltage to get F11 on the KY 2700 camera that offers vast depth of field where you could see zero grain. Pictures went out to an Ampex 1 inch video tape machine. I found that McDonald's liked Super 8 at the time as the film gives a great realistic quality for food and still does. Far better then Video tape. For coffee lounges and restaurant TVC,s its great but most of all travel destinations also look warm and friendly.
    thanks
    ophir

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: New to this Forum

Hi Ophir, have you considered setting up a blog and creating a historical accounting of the types of projects you worked in Super-8?

I set one up for my work in film and video production for the late 80's, 90's, and this past decade as well. It is the AlexLOGIC link located in my signature. You should consider setting up a blog like that and sharing your experiences that way. Blogs nowadays are free.

You can then add a link in your signature here to your blog so people can ask you questions here about your past experiences.
    [URL="http://www.alexlogic.com/"] AlexLOGIC [/URL]
    [URL="http://www.super-8mm.com/"] Super-8mm.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.super-8mm.net/"] Super-8mm.net[/URL]