Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

What is the fastest you can "Quick-Draw" your Super-8 camera?

From wherever your super-8 camera lies asleep at night, how fast can you get to it, pull it out, and start shooting? Do you keep film near the camera?

Have you ever thought about this and actually changed where you keep your camera so that you can get to it quicker?

Do you ever keep a Super-8 camera in the car?
    By the way, you don't have to reveal where you keep your camera in case you are worried about Super-8 camera thiefs lurking about.
    [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I once happened to have my super 8 and some kodachrome ready one time when we were having an intense lightning storm....once I got it back though, was disappointing...The Kodachrome just wasn't fast enough to record the spectacular show...was night time and dark...you can see the lightning, but it doesn't impress on film.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, if Super-8 Booster does not object to us borrowing the prototype design of his two-camera super-8 holster, http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...ic&f=405&t=591
    we might have to design a second holster. This one will hold one super-8 camera, and one video camera.

The video camera will capture the sound and overall light fluctuations of the thunder and lightening storm. The super-8, when undercranked to 9FPS or less, will produce a spectacular series of images.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I store all my film in the freezer, and I've heard you should let frozen film thaw overnight before using it. That said I've let it thaw for a few hours then shot with no problems. But to be on the safe side, I usually let it thaw for full 24 hours. This means I need 24 hours to gear up [img]frown.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why not keep a couple of film cartridges in the fridge for emergency situations.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Super 8 being the expense that it is, I really hate to waste the film on something that might not turn out (the lightning storm example). I don't think I've ever just grabbed my camera (film or otherwise) spur of the moment, just to shoot something. Okay, the exception may be when I was shooting some stuff for a "behind the scenes" part of a feature DV movie I was working on. My philosophy is there is enough motion picture media available to us as it is (TV, home video or home film movies, feature movies, funny "web" videos, etc.) and when I shoot something, I want to make sure I'm shooting something worthwhile.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">Originally posted by Super-8mm in the DigitalAge:
    Why not keep a couple of film cartridges in the fridge for emergency situations.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe I should also point out that I live in a house with 3 other guys. There have been some, shall we say, "issues" with the refridgerator. I managed to claim a shelf in the freezer, where I hide my precious film behind my frozen dinners...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We had a discussion on this forum a month or two back about Kodachrome 40 "ripening" over time.

The theory is the film goes from a yellow green look to one that is more red orange. So freezing fresh film may not be necessary at all.

Unless your roomies mistake them for m&m's.