Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey all -

I have a Canon 814XL-E, that I would like to synch sound with.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what type of pulse generator i should use to hook up the camera to a SONY DAT Walkman?

many thanks!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Others on this forum may have a direct answer to your question, however I can throw in a little bit.

If you are editing with a non-linear system, it seems to me that the syncing can be easily done once you are actually computer editing.

The Canon 814E is a somewhat loud camera, how are you are dealing with that aspect of sound recording?

I assume your goal is to have the Walkman drive the camera speed? I'm not familiar with the camera driving a dat machine because I thought Dat runs at a constant speed.

Since the dat runs at a constant speed, the only variable to contend with is the speed of the camera. If the speed of the camera is constant, even if it isn't crystal, it can be synced to the video quite easily once in the non-linear arena.

Any other opinions?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There's a function in non-linear called fit to fill.

This feature automatically allows for a piece of video (or film) to sync up to an existing piece of audio even if the two pieces are not the same running time.

The key is to have both an in and an out point for both the video/film and the audio.

If you do front slate and an end slate. You could perform fit to fill on the computer and have instant sync!