Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like someone was lazy, so they decided to knock off a syllable. It is the never ending world of music slang.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A fivelet, for example is five notes in the space of a quarter note.Pretty much ending something in "-let" implies that number of notes per beat.

5 over 2 is a polyrhythm, a superimposing of one rhythm on top of another. 3 over 2 and 3 over 4 are probably the most common polyrhythms, because they're combined rhythm is easy to identify. It can also be spreading, in 5 over 2, for example, five notes over two beats. It all depends on which value of note they're played over. (A big part of Vinnie's phrasing approach.)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, good explanations, but what do you call it when a guy is %@&!ing two girls?

- a chicklet

It's what I refer to as 2:1, lol.

...couldn't resist.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 14, 2006 05:23 PM: Message edited by: D.Seipel ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, maybe us brits are even more behind the musical terminology times than i thought, but there is no such thing as a fivelet. A quintuplet however...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Drum Corps is forging the way to the future or rhythmic terminology in my opinion. They routinely play figures like that so they have to find easy and quick ways to describe them. A ten-let is easier to figure out than a dectuplet. How about a 11-let, that would be a .....???!!!

Drum corps guys also might refer to sixteenth note quintuplets as "20th notes", even though there is no such thing. A septuplet can be thought of as "28th notes".

It's just verbal shorthand.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

Brad,

Yeah, your right...
    I just get worried as I went to a clinic a couple of years ago over here with a, at the time, name UK drummer, and in one of the handouts he provided (very good that he thought a head and prepared some) but he kept reffering to "quadtriplets"
    This was all over his sheet. This drummer also has and instructional package out by the way, and for weeks i was having to tell my students that there was no such thing, it was just a term he used to describe playing to notes RL in hands followed by the same thing in the feet.

"So, it sounds like weve got some pretty good drummers in the audience tonight, but do any of you know what a quadtriplet is...?"

- insert steve's crickets mp3...

"Come on guys, they told me the drummers were well educated up here."

- WE are.... (Relatively)

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The only time I've seen these terms is in, like what Greaseleg was saying, drum corps/rudimental literature. Actually come to think of it, in his snare book "The Next Level" Jeff Queen uses the fivelet, sixlet etc. terms in place of the usual quintuplet, sextuplet, etc. terms for groupings over one beat.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Quads! Well, a quadruplet, would be fine if you're talking about an artificial grouping of four notes in a compound time signature. For example, for eighth notes in the space of three in 12/8 time. But from your comment I'd bet he was just referring to 1/16th notes in 4/4.

UK drummers use quavers, semi-quavers,etc. I can never keep those terms straight.

Brad

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes indeed brad, he was talking 16th notes (I mean semi quavers... [img]wink.gif[/img] )

What was alarming was that 'quadtriplets' reffered specifically to the one pattern, but he was talking about it like it say, an actual musical term we should all be familier with, shame on us teachers for only using real words...

The quadruplets / fivelets ETC ETC i think i can live with!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My drumming background isn't very extensive, but its enough to tell what's goin on. Anybody that cares about fivelets needs help (and possibly a rubix cube). I call triplets X 2 sixlets. If you're playing anything with a time signature too complicated to figure out without a web forum then chances are no one wants to hear it. Just a guess. My two cents. Peace out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123