Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

I would like to know how high or low do you guys sit when you play...

I have some problems with my lower back and I was wondering if I sit too low or something..??

I try sit so that my legs are about 90 degrees to the ground... and if anyone of you have had some back problems plz let my know...

I would really like to know if you have a "cure" for backache...

(sorry for my bad english...)

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Great topic! I have not felt comfortable at my drumkit for about the last year, so I've been experimenting with all kinds of things, including seat height.

I used to sit as low as the throne would allow (about 18"), which angled my thighs upward slightly. I never had any back problems sitting low, but lately I've been sitting at about 23", which angles my thighs slightly downward. I'm 6'-4", so I have to sit much higher than Weckl or Smith to get the same angles in my hips, knees, etc. as they do.

I play mostly traditional grip, and I also find that most snare stands don't go high enough. I play the snare drum in a position similar to what Steve Smith currently uses (angled down and away slightly, and a little left-to-right). That seems to lessen the problem of the legs getting in the way of the backbeat.

One other element that I've been experimenting with is the location of the throne (regardless of seat height). Assuming a somewhat "traditional" drum configuration (like Gadd, Weckl, Vinnie, etc.), I've found that there is a much different feel if you place the throne directly in line with the kick pedal (like Gadd) versus moving it "off center" towards the hi-hat a little (like Virgil).

Well, that's my two cents. Happy holidays everyone!

-Mike A.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I sit on the ground! I am exaggerating just a bit,but I do sit real low.I bought a Yamaha thrown and had a friend of mine cut about an inch off extra just so I could sit lower.I can't speak for anyone else,but it's comfortable for me.I'm a tall person so I didn't want to dwarf the drum kit,so to speak.My legs and my back don't hurt so I don't see a problem at this time!

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I try to keep my thrown placed to where my right leg is in line with my bass pedal,but far enough back to where I am not cramped.I feel like I am able to pull off double strokes better with the foot like that.

I wanted to ask you guys a similar question pertaining to cymbal placement.I know its a personal decision,but do you place your cymbals high or low? From a playing perspective,I like for my cymbals to be at eye level and close into the kit.That way,I'm not having to reach for anything.Just curious as to what you guys thought!

Have a safe holiday!!

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like my cymbals to be at the eye level or even lower.
    No extra reaching and I can use the top of the cymbals and the bell much easier that way..

Thanks to all...

------------------

jonthibault

I have an old double-braced Tama throne, the kind that twists up or down. I took the memory lock off the other day--you have to twist the seat all the way up and off, then twist the lock off the bottom, and then I could lower the seat about another inch and a half. This brings the seat down low enough to be comfy. Anybody using those heavy duty thrones should try it.

------------------
    Jack

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

Im 6'2", been playing over 20yrs and i still havent found the optimum seat height for myself. I was wondering if there were any other players as sad as myself who have played a while that have the same problem! Would it be fair to say yr shell/cymbal layout also has an effect on seat height? Everytime i change my layout i sit uncomfortably although as dull as i am im sure that to be 100% balanced and relaxed would increase yr playing vastly. Its a real pisser when yr apparently deformed like me! Think ill do a trilok gurtu......