Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Go to OC Register under entertainment, there are some good pics there from the show...

Mike Ness lights up the Coach House
    Flying solo, the O.C. rocker trades Social Distortion staples for a clutch of covers.
    By KELLI SKYE FADROSKI
    The Orange County Register

It was a hot, sweaty armpit of a night inside the Coach House Saturday when Mike Ness and his band kicked off a sold-out, six-gig stint at the San Juan Capistrano venue.

Most of the crowd was dripping with perspiration by the time Ness went on, but that didn't dampen the mood. All fired up, the audience went insane when Ness walked on stage. He approached the microphone cool and confident ? like he was a king, and the crowd treated him as such. Yet he was also clearly grateful for and humbled by the welcoming; as he pointed out during one of the numerous times he addressed the crowd throughout the set, "I don't care what anyone says, 50 percent of a show is the audience, so give yourselves a standing ovation."

Not messing around, the band immediately dove into "Company C," a bonus track off the Social Distortion leader's 1999 solo debut, "Cheating at Solitaire." (Click here for a complete set list.) Most of the night's songs were from that record, actually, enhanced by a few rarities, including a version of Social D's "Down Here (With the Rest of Us)" from the '96 album "White Light, White Heat, White Trash." ("This is a song that Social D doesn't even play," Ness said with a laugh before humorously mocking his mainstay and launching into that track.)

The only other Social D tune was a mellower version of "Reach for the Sky." A few fans in my section said they were bummed that the band (consisting of three-fourths of Social Distortion, including bassist Brent Harding and guitarist Jonny Wickersham) didn't dig out "Ball and Chain" or their version of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire."

Instead of such familiar favorites, Ness led his group through several covers ? Carl Perkins' "Let the Jukebox Keep on Playing," "You Win Again" by Hank Williams, Dylan's "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright," and an encore performance of "I Fought the Law," originally by Sonny Curtis and the Crickets but popularized by the Bobby Fuller Four and the Clash.

A newer piece, "I Think I'll Stay," a song Ness wrote for his wife and debuted at the Stagecoach festival in May, also made its way into the set list. Ness prefaced the track by addressing the men in the audience: "Women are smarter than us, people. If I'm lyin', I'm dyin', but trust me, you figure that out and you'll be all right."

Proving he's no pushover, Ness really dug into "Dope Fiend Blues," delivering the line "I sold my soul to the devil and I stole it back" with ferociousness. He's a consummate tough guy: He'll fix your car, then kick your ass and steal your girlfriend. He means what he's singing, and it shows most when these songs are performed live.

Just a few cuts in, however, the house lights seemed to be cooking the band on stage. Harding's hair was matted to his forehead with a few clumped strands flinging sweat as he bobbed his head. Ness' shirt, meanwhile, was completely soaked.

Ness, in my interview with him earlier this week, said he chose the roadhouse venue because he wanted a change of atmosphere after so many Decembers spent at House of Blues Anaheim. I guess he forgot to ask if they had air conditioning. At one point, while wiping the sweat from his forehead, he declared, "It's hot in this bitch!"

The layout of the venue was also a bit odd. As always, it included long dinner tables nestled up against the stage; nothing like nachos and steak with a little band sweat on them. "Can you pass the salt please? This is a little awkward," Ness said as he stood at the edge of the riser.

Another major bummer about the layout: absolutely no dancing. How can you tell a bunch of drunken rockabillies to stay seated for an entire show? The venue staff constantly had to walk about asking patrons who were standing and grooving to sit down. What a buzzkill. Sorry, kids, guess you're going to have to wait for another Hootenanny to really let loose.

Buzz Campbell & Hot Rod Lincoln, a Southern Californian trio, was perfect to open this gig. Playing straightforward rockabilly and even a cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Susie Q," they had the crowd warmed up, drinkin' and ready to go for Ness' set.

With each night promising to have a different set list, Ness' stand continues Dec. 9 with Big Sandy and His Fly-Rite Boys, Dec. 10 with James Intveld, Dec. 14 with the Mother Truckers, Dec. 19 with the Lonesome Spurs and Dec. 20 with the Dave Gleason Band.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nice little review... I wonder if Ness is going to leak out any info for Social D. 2009 plans at any of his solo dates....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the show on friday at the el rey was great.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Company C" live must've been good. What was the set list for the show? How was the opening act? What did they play?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

aw man, i knew i should have bought some tix. i love rockabilly--the opening act sounded great.

Inactive Member socal_cowboy1974's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Worst venue ever

retards for bartenders, stiffs having dinner up front, "no dancing" what a fucking joke.....see ya there on the 19th

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yea thurs & friday night were both good almost the same set list but wish they had done If you leave before me though, but loved Company C & was so happy to see Danny all we needed was Charlie [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm going tonight.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I go saturday at the El Rey

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Was a sweet ride on the haywagon Tuesday night at the Coach House - Dec. 9. Mike did the usual solo stuff, with the aforementioned new song 'Think I'll Stay.' 'Ball & Chain' and a sing-along 'Ring of Fire' were in there too this night, as was other surprises I won't give away. Good crowd, not too rowdy, not too laid back. Air conditioning was on, very comfortable. Nice break from the madness of a Social D gig. Good roadhouse mojo.

(Would like to see him play acoustic for one song. Also, dual tattooed-pinup-backup singers would be wicked.)

Big Sandy was awesome. He and the Fly Rite Boys kicked the night off right. (Great opening bands lined up for this run of shows.)

<font color="#FFFF00" size="1">[ December 10, 2008 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Rumblebones ]</font>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast