Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

February 2, 2006 -- THE once-vibrant East Village rock scene faces another demoralizing loss. The Continental, the punk rock dive on St. Marks Place that has showcased the likes of Iggy Pop, Guns N' Roses, the Ramones and Patti Smith over the years, will no longer offer live music.

Continental owner Trigger tells PAGE SIX that he plans to close the club in late spring, then re-open it as a "neighborhood bar with a great jukebox, a pool table and cheap drinks. My rents and overhead go up every year. It's become un-doable to have a punk rock club in this neighborhood these days - the crowd isn't there to support it."

Trigger said his friend Jesse Malin, who owns Niagara bar on Avenue B, will re-unite his band D Generation to play a send-off show at Continental. "It's breaking my heart to do this," Trigger said. "I'm a musician, too. I held on as long as I could. Once we re-open and the place is full of bridge-and-tunnelers and college kids, sure, I'm gonna have an easier time paying the rent - but it's going to be work, as opposed to a passion."

***my note***
    The Continental was an awesome club, much better then CBGBs. while CBGBs had the "lets try to be cool and say we hang out at CBCGs" crowd you had the real deal at The Continental and other clubs like Coney Island High at St Marks place. losing CBGBs don't mean **** compared to losing a place like The Continental. when CBGBs goes, the in crowd will just wait until the next retro crazy tells them what to worship but when places like The Continental close the music scene really suffers. and before you start whining about how great CGBGs is, yes i've hung out there and yes i've played there and yes, the club is a piece of ****. if it were not for the name it would have been gone years ago. yes a lot of great bands have played there in the PAST and yes it was an important piece in music history but the Model T was important to the history of automobiles and i don't hear anyone crying to bring them back.

BUT anyway, D Generation reunion show!!!
    I'm there!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by creeper2:
    BUT anyway, D Generation reunion show!!!
    I'm there!!!
    <font size="4" face="Arial">And I am hoping with some form of recording device in hand.
    [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

<font color="#FF0099" size="1">[ February 04, 2006 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Carl I. ]</font>

Inactive Member NEVER ON SUNDAY's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

it is sad
    it has been slowly happeneing for over a decade
    the east village I knew and loved as a kid
    is long gone

NYC as a whole has turned into a playground for the wealthy, the underground street scene is long gone,,,,,

damn , I used to love NYC, before Mayor Guiliani got a hold of it

remember the Scrap Bar
    - good times of days past

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It'd be good to see D Gen - Richard Bacchus supported Jesse last time he was in London & they got up together to do some of the old stuff. I'm hopeless with song titles but they did Capital Offender or Major (I always get those mixed up) plus No Way Out. Awesome.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh no. That's a real shame!Continental always had kewl bands playing, seen so many there, both good and bad.That's gonna be a real blow to NYC rockscene.(Myself I always preferred Continental to GBCS's too).Keep us posted when the D-Generation re-union gig is. I didn't have plans to come to NYC this year, but if I get a cheap flight and D-Gen is playing, I just might...