Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Bumps/apology

i also assume XP may create new sections. my opinion, which isn't worth shit i know, is that really this forum needs an overhaul in how the content is organized.

for most stories, if there is an an author that posts a single, one-off story, or does so very rarely, such as one every six months, then they can just post in the open forum.

anyone who is posting a long series...ahem...such as stories with 60 or more chapters , should have their own forum section. the forum sections should be broken down thus:

XP
    ---titfighting
    ------open forum
    ------rules and other important logistical topics, and discussions regarding them
    ------videos and actors, other sites
    ------tutoring, writing help, etc
    ------polls
    ------authors
    ---------author 1
    ------------series 1
    ------------series 2
    ------------story 1
    ------------story 2
    ------------polls
    ---------------my poll 1

authors should have their own sections. within their own sections, they post their series and stories. each series should be within 1 thread ideally. if it's a trilogy or something more heavily segmented, or each story is relatively large but fragmented so that they aren't a real series with chapters, but individual stories, ahem, like some who post 60 chapter stories , then they can go in their own thread.

the author then posts a thread in the open forum with a link to their story in their author's section. this keeps works of art organized, because many people like reading the work by a particular artist. they then can discuss the topic in the open forum, and everyone can see how hot the topic is when it gets all the replies. this is normal.

then the author has a section for their polls. they list individual polls in a separate thread, and post the same kind of link to it in the polls section of the open forum.

- - - Updated - - -

oh ya, i forgot to say....as a forum guideline, rather than an actual rule:

people viewing the thread or posts SHOULD 'like' it if they like it, and post only if they have something to contribute. within the first couple days, saying they think it's awesome or something should be noted because we all like to know HOW MUCH someone liked it.

a post as simple as 9/10, 10/10, or "awesome descriptions!" or something is really good. a simple like is good because you get to know if more people than not liked it, but also feedback is good so you know which areas to enforce, and which need rework.

HB Forum Owner
    Bumps/apology

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

doom2241, there is no way to overhaul the forum as there is no way to make sections. We've tackled the issue of sections for years and unfortunately, Hostboard (which I do not own and cannot reprogram) just doesn't have the facilities for that. This is the case even after a multitude of updates over the years, including the addition of Likes and Thanks in the last 2. I have spoken with Hostboard's owners on several occasions and I don't think any major overhauls are going to happen any time soon or at all.
    Check out the Titfighting and Sexfighting Forum at [url]http://www.hostboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=294[/url]

HB Forum Owner
    Bumps/apology

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DHH View Post
    XP and I both agree that the "bump posts" were made with good intentions for sure. We saw no ill will and definitely no intention to force newer topics off the front page. It's just a case of someone who really liked several threads of the same ongoing story and decided to post about it.

That being said I want to thank you guys for the comments and ideas thus far. I'll talk to XP about rules update, but he has mentioned to me on several occasions that he worries about having too many rules since he doesn't want this forum to become bogged down by them and I can definitely understand that.

In regards to post order I believe XP can change the default sort function. So here's a question:

- Do you all feel that it is better for the order of posts to be sorted by default to "Most Recent Reply" or "Most Recent Thread"?

My thoughts on this is that if we default to Most Recent Thread, then it will be harder for people to know when there are new replies to topics that have ended up on the second page and beyond. Is that something you are okay with?

DHH
    DHH-
    However you guys decide to handle this is fine by me. Even if you choose to do nothing about it. I'm absolutely certain that bumped posts were designed with good will and no ill intent. It's just that someone got a bit upset that some of my older stories got bumped to page one when a nice person read and commented on each story/chapter. In a way, I kind of agree with them because the stories just kind of took over the first page. But what are you supposed to do - tell someone to just use the like button and make no comment because doing so bumps the story? As a writer, I enjoy reading comments on what I write. All writers do.
    I'm not sure what else to say here, other than I will abide by any changes you guys may or may not decide to make. Thanks for listening.
    Sincerely,
    A. Penman

Junior Hostboard Member doom2241's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Last edited by doom2241; July 6th, 2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: correction

HB Forum Owner
    Bumps/apology

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

doom2241:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Check out the Titfighting and Sexfighting Forum at [url]http://www.hostboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=294[/url]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

you don't pay for this space do you?

HB Forum Owner
    Bumps/apology

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No I don't. It's a free service that has hosted us for quite a few years.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

im sure there are other services. i could build a site too, and would add a lot of functionality.

it's just an idea, and could be done over months, very smooth migration.

HB Forum Owner
    Bumps/apology

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Thanks doom2241-
    Humor fixes almost everything. One of the reasons I like to slip it into my stories.
    A.Penman

Senior Hostboard Member Angel Dawn's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Being somewhat technically challenged... in my opinion, I think this forum is fine the way it is. We are discussing the 'exception' and not the 'rule.' These bumps are not an everyday occurrence.. and I think we all believe that restricting comments is not a good idea. I truly believe that when someone reads something and they want to comment about it, the last thing on their mind is the fact that their comment is going to bump that particular thread to the top of the list.

I am more than pleased that we have this forum for those of us who enjoy the subject(s) that are presented here. I know some of you may disagree with me... but this is a "little thing"... that usually takes care of itself in a week or two. .. and no writer should feel embarrassed or guilty that someone posted something to one of their threads.

I love this forum.. and I know that XP and everyone else associated with this forum will only do what they believe is best. I think I am repeating myself now, so I will hush.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast