View Poll Results: Do you like this single sticky idea?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 33.33%
  • No

6 66.67%

Thread: Futher reducing sticky topic space

Senior Hostboard Member sffan4e's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Futher reducing sticky topic space

As I was browsing through the sticky topics, I was thinking back about the sticky reduction we had lately. Mainly because so many new posts were pushed back to lower pages, due to some ups of older topics and the limited space on page 1.

So I came up with an idea, and was wondering what you guys think of it. Just to be clear, it's no democracy here, and I respect XP's authority here, his will is the law. Just wanted to check if this idea has any potential.

Since the members themselves can not make sticky topics, and only XP can start and manage them, perhaps the stickies could be collected into 1 sticky. We could for example name this sticky "Collection of most interesting topics", "Collection of sticky topics" or something.
    Anyhow, this single sticky contains only links to these other once sticky topics. So when you click this single sticky topic, it opens a new window containing at the moment 6 posts. Each post links to the respective 6 sticky topics we currently have. Since XP can lock this sticky, he can control that it won't get crowded with other topics.

The downside is of course that you have to click twice to get to the sticky instead of once. And of course that the sticky topic title is not directly visible on the front/first page.

On the positive side with this single sticky is that we gain extra space for 5 topics on the front page. Of course, when someone posts something in these topics, they get bumped up to page 1 too. But they won't be permanently taking up space on the front page anymore.

What do you think about this single sticky idea? You can vote about it in the poll.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Futher reducing sticky topic space

It seems like a lot of work to save "only" 5 lines on a page.

IF you were talking 10 or 15 lines, then it would be a good/better solution.

I'm just not sure the problem, if it is one for most readers, is worth the trouble.

Senior Hostboard Member Angel Dawn's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

sffan4e .. I like the idea.... although I am not a guy .. (You said "was wondering what you guys think of it") .... Ok ok.. yes "guys" is a generic term... I was just teasing you. It is a very good idea.. and although XP has final say about what happens here... perhaps a certain Angel could perform a lap dance for him? Hmmmmm? I can be quite persuasive. (wink)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ginny38 View Post
    It seems like a lot of work to save "only" 5 lines on a page.

IF you were talking 10 or 15 lines, then it would be a good/better solution.

I'm just not sure the problem, if it is one for most readers, is worth the trouble.
    I see you point. And that is why did not call it a suggestion (to use now), but an idea which might get in handy in the future.

To get into what you said about IF you were talking 10 or 15 lines... With the method I brought up, we could have more stickies, indeed perhaps like 10 or 15 in this collective sticky thread. Before the recent change, we had I believe 9 or 10 stickies. If I am not mistaken, the stories were split up into a few genres, and there was a very nice description from Giannis about the question if sexfighting exists in real life, etc. Because of the reduction these got 'lost'.

So it might also be useful, if you want to bring these stickies back or make some more. Of course you don't want to overflow the collective sticky with like 100 topic links. But it could come in handy if you want a few more stickies without overcrowding the front page.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AngelDawn30 View Post
    sffan4e .. I like the idea.... although I am not a guy .. (You said "was wondering what you guys think of it") .... Ok ok.. yes "guys" is a generic term... I was just teasing you. It is a very good idea.. and although XP has final say about what happens here... perhaps a certain Angel could perform a lap dance for him? Hmmmmm? I can be quite persuasive. (wink)
    You big tease

I think everybody benefits from a lap dance. It's good for the health, it's a good excercise, good for the blood flow, good to increase once heart rate, good for the mood, so why not

Thanks for your support of this idea. As mentioned in a reply to Ginny38, it's not necessarily something we might need right now. But it might come in handy someday. Unless there are more (or XP) whom desire more stickies than we now have. It's just an idea that popped up in my head.

DogWithABone

Thumbs up Re: Futher reducing sticky topic space

This thread, and several others with no valid reason to exist, are far more of a waste of space than the current stickied threads.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DTHooters View Post
    and several others with no valid reason to exist