0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: What can we do to help?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Interesting thread... here's my take...

#1 There is NO conspiracy
    #2 There is NO lock out
    #3 Me and XP go back MANY years. If there is a problem he contacts me and he knows I have always replied at some point (I'm not on the site daily)
    #4 Hostboard is FREE. This means this community exists solely on my back pocket (and the very few who have graciously donated) as I am the only owner. Thus there is no contract, no fees paid, just me trying to continue to run an online
    community, which I have now done (sometimes good, sometimes bad) in excess of 38 years.
    #5 The edit feature was requested by a few other communities, so I paid to have it developed (any new features are always posted int he Hostbaord News forum and then promoted to an article on the front page).
    The default setting is 15 minutes. However this can be over ridden by any forum owner with a physical time or indefinite. As XP noted I manually over rode the settings until we figure out item b.
    b. Of course it would help if XP had access to the control panel, which we started to trouble shoot around the same time we had a hardware failure taking down the drive that houses the database.
    Now that we are back up I have asked the developer to look into why XP can't see his own communities control panel. After that on to adding some more functionality and possibly stirring the hornets nest again

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...
    In retrospect, the hardware failure was a bigger issue, I like my stories to be intact on a database instead of a space where I handle private and business affairs. As I told XP, I like this community very much, but I also don't want to be the Professor Farnsworth here. I'm using the analogy twofold in the hopes, that the "good news, everyone" isn't that this is the final state of the forum. I'm very much thankful for the edit option, however the aim was to restore age old data in favor for a loss of the data of the last week.

Well... this forum only goes back to a few days minus the things we posted before it was closed. I'm not sure what a good solution would be, but this isn't it. Fortunately other places weren't affected so my other stories are safe.
    Last edited by catfightlover40; November 2nd, 2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Update with new information

MaskedSuperstar

Over a month and still nothing fixed. Inexcusable in 2017. Offer a damn prize on the multiple freelance coding sites and see who can fix it.

Senior Hostboard Member
    What can we do to help?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedSuperstar View Post
    Over a month and still nothing fixed. Inexcusable in 2017. Offer a damn prize on the multiple freelance coding sites and see who can fix it.

It is frustrating to not be able to open some stories, while opening others. I'm not a computer guru, so I have no idea the answer. I tried to open a JB57 story in the huge list and couldn't, but then scrolled right down and opened my own. Anubisx stated that the links were not fixed, which is the reason he can no longer add and update our stories in the huge list. A notice was given that we should contact the administrator after I failed to open JB57s story. So this is my way of doing that, because the problems still persist!

Shak

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

use the "wayback machine"
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170519...c-stories.html

so you have access to all the stories

Senior Hostboard Member catfightlover40's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thecatzman View Post
    use the "wayback machine"
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170519...c-stories.html

so you have access to all the stories
    I've tried that and I know it doesn't work for a very simple reason, it has to take a specific "Polaroid" of that page itself to be accessible. This is to say, you can have multiple snapshots of the same forum page, but if no snapshot was ever taken of the thread you wish to access, you're back to square one. XP has promised to save as many as he could, and a similar claim in regards to stories were made by others, so they should be re-uploaded.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

I'd be very disappointed if I have to re-upload all my stories, since the comments and other measures particular to each story would be lost.

However, if necessary, I can put all of my stories back up as new posts. I also have a lot of other stories saved, so I can load those too.

So, my stories are not lost. I just need to know if, at this point, it makes sense to start repopulating the entire site with stories so that Anubis can start linking to them.

What do others think?

JB57
    JB57

Senior Hostboard Member sffan4e's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by catfightlover40 View Post
    , I like my stories to be intact on a database instead of a space where I handle private and business affairs.
    A very simple solution, which I also use, is to use a free email service like Gmail or Outlook (previously Hotmail) and work and store the stories as drafts. Only be careful that you don't accidently discard a draft and by doing so deletIng it.

Another solution which is a bit more extensive, is to use an online text writer with online storage. For example Google Documents and store them on Google Drive. Practically everything is online, as long as you don't download their app, which might leave copies of files on your computers hdd.
    You can work/write on you internet web browser in anonymous browsing mode and leave barely any traces on you computer.
    For more info about TIF2018 see: [URL="http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f294/280858-trib-forward-2018-a.html"]Trib It Forward 2018 project[/URL]

[URL="http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f294/279774-may-trib-you.html"]-May The Trib Be With You-[/URL]

Senior Hostboard Member catfightlover40's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JB57 View Post
    I'd be very disappointed if I have to re-upload all my stories, since the comments and other measures particular to each story would be lost.

However, if necessary, I can put all of my stories back up as new posts. I also have a lot of other stories saved, so I can load those too.

So, my stories are not lost. I just need to know if, at this point, it makes sense to start repopulating the entire site with stories so that Anubis can start linking to them.

What do others think?

JB57
    I'm not to keen doing it this way either, especially considering that this isn't the first time it happened, MikeJV attempted to move all of his material way back in 2009 because of a similar situation. The staff should restore them since they have them physically, but as to why there was no update, despite Steven being here last week is beyond me. The same goes for comments, in which I agree with you, a lot of people lost those as well. It posits the question, if you've reached 10 posts and you can send PMs, and you sent them, but now they're inaccessible, can they send them or not...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sffan4e View Post
    A very simple solution, which I also use, is to use a free email service like Gmail or Outlook (previously Hotmail) and work and store the stories as drafts. Only be careful that you don't accidently discard a draft and by doing so deletIng it.

Another solution which is a bit more extensive, is to use an online text writer with online storage. For example Google Documents and store them on Google Drive. Practically everything is online, as long as you don't download their app, which might leave copies of files on your computers hdd.
    You can work/write on you internet web browser in anonymous browsing mode and leave barely any traces on you computer.
    Even though I appreciate the idea, I do distrust cloud services as shown by the Fappening. I did solve the issue by saving them onto my computer and thus I can re-upload them any time.

Senior Hostboard Member
    What can we do to help?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JB57 View Post

What do others think?

JB57

The idea of uploading all my stories and losing all the comments is like losing a part of the story. But I agree with JB57, I can put everything back up as new posts. But I did use thecatzman's idea and went to another link for the huge list, the stories came out with those strange markings added to each word, which ruins the story. I just hope this can get fixed, I like accessing the great writers and keeping their stories in my own personal archives. To ask my non-technical computer self to do more than the basics is a problem. I hope this can get resolved soon, but I am willing to repost if needed.

Shak

Senior Hostboard Member sffan4e's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by catfightlover40 View Post
    Even though I appreciate the idea, I do distrust cloud services as shown by the Fappening. I did solve the issue by saving them onto my computer and thus I can re-upload them any time.
    You're welcome. I am just trying to think along what might work, without investing in dedicated services for it.

I don't mind the clouds, because it's content for forums, scripts and such. Personal stuff I keep seperate. But the content on those accounts are released anyhow. It's just a workplace and a secondary backup for me.

What you might consider, is to encrypt your sensitive files if it's on the computer you have personal or work stuff on. (Although I would not recommend to do this on a computer from work). This way other can't open them so easily.
    For more info about TIF2018 see: [URL="http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f294/280858-trib-forward-2018-a.html"]Trib It Forward 2018 project[/URL]

[URL="http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f294/279774-may-trib-you.html"]-May The Trib Be With You-[/URL]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast