Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: What can we do to help?

Quote Originally Posted by sffan4e View Post
    You're welcome. I am just trying to think along what might work, without investing in dedicated services for it.

I don't mind the clouds, because it's content for forums, scripts and such. Personal stuff I keep seperate. But the content on those accounts are released anyhow. It's just a workplace and a secondary backup for me.

What you might consider, is to encrypt your sensitive files if it's on the computer you have personal or work stuff on. (Although I would not recommend to do this on a computer from work). This way other can't open them so easily.
    Access to mu 'puter itself is limited, so that's not a major concern, but thanks for the tip nonetheless.

Senior Hostboard Member sffan4e's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by catfightlover40 View Post
    I like my stories to be intact on a database instead of a space where I handle private and business affairs...

Access to mu 'puter itself is limited, so that's not a major concern, but thanks for the tip nonetheless.
    Then I misunderstood your first comment. I thought perhaps you shared your pc and don't want family members or colleagues come across the stories.

Anyhow, good that you have things under control.
    For more info about TIF2018 see: [URL="http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f294/280858-trib-forward-2018-a.html"]Trib It Forward 2018 project[/URL]

[URL="http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f294/279774-may-trib-you.html"]-May The Trib Be With You-[/URL]

Senior Hostboard Member catfightlover40's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Then I misunderstood your first comment. I thought perhaps you shared your pc and don't want family members or colleagues come across the stories.

Anyhow, good that you have things under control.

You weren't entirely wrong, others could use it, but only through my access, hence why I'm certain in this type of storage. If it were work, I wouldn't even be here from those, in many cases the IT department was allowed to search browsing history, so nothing NSFW

Senior Hostboard Member sffan4e's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by catfightlover40 View Post
    You weren't entirely wrong, others could use it, but only through my access, hence why I'm certain in this type of storage. If it were work, I wouldn't even be here from those, in many cases the IT department was allowed to search browsing history, so nothing NSFW
    Exactly why I said that "I would not recommend to do this on a computer from work". Even in a small company without a IT department, collegues might stumble upon it, if it's a share computer or so.
    For more info about TIF2018 see: [URL="http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f294/280858-trib-forward-2018-a.html"]Trib It Forward 2018 project[/URL]

[URL="http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f294/279774-may-trib-you.html"]-May The Trib Be With You-[/URL]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exactly why I said that "I would not recommend to do this on a computer from work". Even in a small company without a IT department, collegues might stumble upon it, if it's a share computer or so.
    Though I appreciate the extra irony, that allegedly leaving a half cut ham sandwich in the fridge is office code for catfight.

MaskedSuperstar

So...5 months and no fix? What does the guy do with the money people give to support the board? It's not hard to fix/upgrade servers. It's not hard to at least communicate with people and tell them what's happening. It's not XP's fault, at all, but the person who owns/runs all of Hostboard really should show some signs that he gives a crap about fixing things.

Senior Hostboard Member calla242's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedSuperstar View Post
    So...5 months and no fix? What does the guy do with the money people give to support the board? It's not hard to fix/upgrade servers. It's not hard to at least communicate with people and tell them what's happening. It's not XP's fault, at all, but the person who owns/runs all of Hostboard really should show some signs that he gives a crap about fixing things.
    the hole contribute thing was about milking the dead cow

Senior Hostboard Member
    What can we do to help?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's been interesting reading the latest responses concerning this board. When I asked this question several months ago, it was only an offer of help, so the board can perform to peak efficiency again. I was not criticizing the owners, just offering whatever assistance I could. Unfortunately it seems the problems of this board are becoming long-term and not just a temporary glitch! There could be a number of reasons for this and I am in no position to criticize people I only know online. What I do know is this. Sometimes we just get overwhelmed or sick or life takes us in a different direction than the one we've been on. I've had all of them, health trouble, overwhelmed, new direction for my life. I would love to see this board continue strong forever......but maybe the owners and administrators can't run it like they used to. Sometimes life, finances, time, health, just becomes too much and others have to step in. In my own life, I've had to allow my own grown children to help me. I'm in my 60s and have always been a hard working independent man, taking care of everything and everyone else. But the last few years my strength has waned.....I'm not as immortal as I used to erroneously proclaim.
    My message to the owners and administrators is.........you may need help!
    DON'T DO THIS ALONE!

Shak

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shak7 View Post
    It's been interesting reading the latest responses concerning this board. When I asked this question several months ago, it was only an offer of help, so the board can perform to peak efficiency again. I was not criticizing the owners, just offering whatever assistance I could. Unfortunately it seems the problems of this board are becoming long-term and not just a temporary glitch! There could be a number of reasons for this and I am in no position to criticize people I only know online. What I do know is this. Sometimes we just get overwhelmed or sick or life takes us in a different direction than the one we've been on. I've had all of them, health trouble, overwhelmed, new direction for my life. I would love to see this board continue strong forever......but maybe the owners and administrators can't run it like they used to. Sometimes life, finances, time, health, just becomes too much and others have to step in. In my own life, I've had to allow my own grown children to help me. I'm in my 60s and have always been a hard working independent man, taking care of everything and everyone else. But the last few years my strength has waned.....I'm not as immortal as I used to erroneously proclaim.
    My message to the owners and administrators is.........you may need help!
    DON'T DO THIS ALONE!

Shak
    Well, that's just it... I like to check in with the activity stream so that I can see new posts without needing to wait (long) to enter a specific board, and it's a problem that has not went unnoticed for users unrelated to us either. In opposition to you or anybody else with impending private issues, contributions to this site make it a business, hence a different set of rules. It's not a criticism of their person or character to point out long standing shortcomings. The contributions go toward maintenance, so it's a stance on the quality of service, not on who provides it.
    The home of my multi-part work: [URL]https://www.patreon.com/powelltothepeople[/URL]

The place where I can be commissioned: [URL]https://www.fiverr.com/cflover40[/URL]

What I use to "feed my birds": [URL="http://"https://twitter.com/powelltothepeo1/"]https://twitter.com/powelltothepeo1/[/URL]

Finally, the one where I'll post my e-books: Lulu, once I post the complete first episode of my story

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As both a moderator of this forum and someone who contributed to Hostboard, I admit that I'm a little frustrated with the speed at which things have been going. I know XP's been nagging the Hostboard admin to solve the problems but somehow it seems that things have stalled. XP was told recently that the programmer working on the issue is still working on it and has no idea why the publicly-viewed version of the forum doesn't have all threads present like the version the programmers see. It's very strange. I wish I knew how to program so I could help but alas I'm just an old fart who's juuust computer literate enough to come on here to read your amazing stories and posts... and occasionally delete things upon request... LOL
    DH: Die Hard - Gotta love Bruce Willis!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast