Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English-speakers! I need your help.

Senior Hostboard Member Anubisx's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

English-speakers! I need your help.

Hi, there. The Catfight and Sexfight Anthology is almost ready, but I need a little help: there are some stories written by people whose native language is not English. Any English speaker here with good spelling who would like to review these stories to correct any mistakes they may have? It would be greatly appreciated!
    MY SEXFIGHT E-BOOKS: Anubisx's Amazon

MY DEVIANTART: Anubisx's DeviantART

MY LAST SEXFIGHT E-BOOK: Resort Showdown

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

Re: English-speakers! I need your help.

Anubis, I sent you a PM.

JB57
    JB57

Senior Hostboard Member Giannis-CB's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)

Good idea, it may help. There is only one point that needs attention : it is easy to correct grammar errors BUT it is not so easy to correct PHRASAL errors without to change the author's personal writing style. I would be happy to see my bad English corrected BUT i would not like to see my writing style changed. It will be correct, no doubt about it, but it would not be me. On the other hand, i have seen two of my sexfight stories changed by native English writers (one may be XP, if i remember well) and they had done a perfect job, correcting all they should to correct but respecting my writing style. So, it is on the editor i guess.

Senior Hostboard Member catfightlover40's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis-CB View Post
    Good idea, it may help. There is only one point that needs attention : it is easy to correct grammar errors BUT it is not so easy to correct PHRASAL errors without to change the author's personal writing style. I would be happy to see my bad English corrected BUT i would not like to see my writing style changed. It will be correct, no doubt about it, but it would not be me. On the other hand, i have seen two of my sexfight stories changed by native English writers (one may be XP, if i remember well) and they had done a perfect job, correcting all they should to correct but respecting my writing style. So, it is on the editor i guess.
    That's actually the easy part, with all due respect. I've recently read a blog post by a freelance journalist who works for the likes of Guardian, and she used to have a pseudonym on Fiverr, offering editorial services for writers who write smut, and things get icky if the editor has to correct you on female anatomy, something a writer quite frankly should know, then again your body of work is way above that level. When you meant content correction, I thought you meant recognizing such errors, like a word being written correctly, but still not the required form (the usual your/you're, collage/college thing) and of course readability. I've read a story yesterday which has barely introduced its characters beyond their stats, it had no formatting, heck, no paragraphing at all, and lacked a disclaimer warning readers that the story features some sub-fetishes (like attraction to bodily functions) which aren't everybody's cup of tea. In short, he wrote it for himself with the intent of others accepting said serving as is.

One last thing, the reason why I have not responded to this call isn't just because I'm an ESL user since '88, but also because there might be euphemisms a non-native speaker might think make sense in English, but it actually doesn't, for cultural or other factors. Hell, the use of African American Vernacular English is a mighty task for natives, so it's an uphill battle.
    The home of my multi-part work: [URL]https://www.patreon.com/powelltothepeople[/URL]

The place where I can be commissioned: [URL]https://www.fiverr.com/cflover40[/URL]

What I use to "feed my birds": [URL="http://"https://twitter.com/powelltothepeo1/"]https://twitter.com/powelltothepeo1/[/URL]

Finally, the one where I'll post my e-books: Lulu, once I post the complete first episode of my story

HB Forum Owner

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis-CB View Post
    Giannis my friend. I think that you have made a valid point here. I also think that a decent editor would keep what you said in mind. He/she would/should not alter, in any way, the "voice" or style of the original writer.

Be well,
    A. Penman

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Anubisx,

I also have sent you a PM.

Thanks,

A. Penman

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anubisx View Post
    Hi, there. The Catfight and Sexfight Anthology is almost ready, but I need a little help: there are some stories written by people whose native language is not English. Any English speaker here with good spelling who would like to review these stories to correct any mistakes they may have? It would be greatly appreciated!
    Hmm, I guess that includes me, too... English spelling can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

I mean, sure, I know it borrows stuff from so many different European languages that some inconsistencies and/or parallel logics are unavoidable, but c'mon! Advise vs advice, or practise vs practice, is just plain trolling!

That said, JB57 and Apenman have my full confidence.

Senior Hostboard Member Anubisx's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

I didn't know Augur is not an English-speaker. I find your English very good, so I didn't realize it! If you want, I can ask our dear volunteers to take a look at your story as well.
    MY SEXFIGHT E-BOOKS: Anubisx's Amazon

MY DEVIANTART: Anubisx's DeviantART

MY LAST SEXFIGHT E-BOOK: Resort Showdown

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anubisx View Post
    I didn't know Augur is not an English-speaker. I find your English very good, so I didn't realize it! If you want, I can ask our dear volunteers to take a look at your story as well.
    Please do, if they have the time that is! I use English pretty much every day at work, so one might hope there aren't too many spelling mistakes...

Cheers,
    Augur

HB Forum Owner

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Augur View Post
    Hmm, I guess that includes me, too... English spelling can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

I mean, sure, I know it borrows stuff from so many different European languages that some inconsistencies and/or parallel logics are unavoidable, but c'mon! Advise vs advice, or practise vs practice, is just plain trolling!

That said, JB57 and Apenman have my full confidence.
    Wow! Thanks Augur! I'm flattered! But I don't know if I can handle this kind of pressure! LOL
    AP

Senior Hostboard Member catfightlover40's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So, as we're nearly a week past the proposed deadline, I went to your Payhip site, and have yet to see the book, do I surmise it right, that it's still in the quality check phase?
    The home of my multi-part work: [URL]https://www.patreon.com/powelltothepeople[/URL]

The place where I can be commissioned: [URL]https://www.fiverr.com/cflover40[/URL]

What I use to "feed my birds": [URL="http://"https://twitter.com/powelltothepeo1/"]https://twitter.com/powelltothepeo1/[/URL]

Finally, the one where I'll post my e-books: Lulu, once I post the complete first episode of my story

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast