Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Now What?

Yes, it's the return of the "ERROR 504; Gateway Error, time out."

Able to sign on to the board (very slowly) and difficult if not impossible to go from page to page.

Why does this keep happening?

Sorry for sounding snarky, but this is frustrating.

A.P.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

Re: Now What?

Yes, I noticed the slowing down about 2-3 days ago, but I was hoping against hope it would not become another problem like we experienced earlier in the year. At least we have the google site set up, so the community will not be lost if the board becomes problematic again. But, I agree, it is incredibly frustrating that this seems to be starting up again with no explanation of what is going on. Let's hope it does not get any worse.

JB57
    JB57

Senior Hostboard Member catfightlover40's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If I'm to use abductive logic based on the available facts at hand and keep in mind correlation does not mean causation, two factors are known variables in this play: one is a diminished server capacity since it's always dependent on the member contribution, but... a more important fact to keep in mind is just who the head of the FCC is.

As you might recall, over the course of the summer net neutrality was brutally murdered, which enables ISPs to control speed to offered content based on who can fork over more (and after a certain amount blackmail becomes negotiation tactic). As such, there are but three options. One, a stronger cooperation with hosts to protect niche content like ours. Correction, not just ours, it's not like the subwoofer and other audiophile communities would be so mainstream. Two, an option I strongly advise against, decentralization. It's a bad idea or would be one because it took a long time to build a community like this, and it's not as if suddenly making social media groups would generate a huge buzz, see the previous argument about the collective being a niche. Momfight "died" half a year ago and new community took its place, which indicates, decentralization would further suffocate communication between members. That brings me to option three.

I discuss this in a separate paragraph since supralegality is worth its own section. Two important European legislation is to be taken into account here, and I've talked about one of them before, but I get back to GPRD first. It's a complex privacy policy where Europeans are allowed to decide how much data they wish to share with the permanent option of recalling it, including denying access to third parties, ergo days of the past when server costs were partially covered by selling member data is partly gone. Failing to comply carries hefty fines and some content providers, like newspapers, have blocked access. The other thing mostly applies to homepages which sell the copyrighted material, like Lulu, Amazon or even Patreon. EU member states have until January to descend this law onto their own books and owners of said websites will be required to check uploaded content for possible infringement. To put it this way, the regulation would have prevented Fifty Shades from existing on the grounds how much it stole from Twilight.

All in all, starting a new site is hard work, way harder than it was decades ago, so my humble opinion is that the best course of action is.... nagging XP to death I'm kidding, but seriously, improving this site, given all of us have lives is way less work.
    The home of my multi-part work: [URL]https://www.patreon.com/powelltothepeople[/URL]

The place where I can be commissioned: [URL]https://www.fiverr.com/cflover40[/URL]

What I use to "feed my birds": [URL="http://"https://twitter.com/powelltothepeo1/"]https://twitter.com/powelltothepeo1/[/URL]

Finally, the one where I'll post my e-books: Lulu, once I post the complete first episode of my story

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

I would be beyond shocked if this had anything to do with net neutrality at all. Lots of other sites like this one are functioning just fine. I think whatever is going on is particular to this site for its own reasons. Net neutrality will likely be a problem at some point, but that is further down the line.

JB
    JB57

WriteThisWay

Lose the tinfoil hat BS. This site is struggling because they completely fucked it up trying to upgrade and now Steven never, ever tries to fix it. Has nothing to do with wankers crying about net neutrality and everything to do with a money stealing schmuck who abandoned the whole hostboard system a while ago.

Senior Hostboard Member Giannis-CB's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JB57 View Post
    Yes, I noticed the slowing down about 2-3 days ago, but I was hoping against hope it would not become another problem like we experienced earlier in the year. At least we have the google site set up, so the community will not be lost if the board becomes problematic again. But, I agree, it is incredibly frustrating that this seems to be starting up again with no explanation of what is going on. Let's hope it does not get any worse. JB57
    Hi JB57, You wrote "we have the google set up" ... Meaning ? Is there an alternative ready ? If yes, that's good ! Hoping that there is a way, us, the members to know how to be there.

HB Forum Owner
    Now What?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WriteThisWay View Post
    Lose the tinfoil hat BS. This site is struggling because they completely fucked it up trying to upgrade and now Steven never, ever tries to fix it. Has nothing to do with wankers crying about net neutrality and everything to do with a money stealing schmuck who abandoned the whole hostboard system a while ago.
    WriteThisWay...

OUCH!!! LOL

A.P.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis-CB View Post
    Hi JB57, You wrote "we have the google set up" ... Meaning ? Is there an alternative ready ? If yes, that's good ! Hoping that there is a way, us, the members to know how to be there.
    Hi, Giannis. Yes, after this last happened, XP set up a google group where the community could meet, upload stories, etc. I uploaded a lot of my stories though, to be honest, I have not been back to the group in months because the board started working again. I don't have the link right now, but it is readily accessible. That being said, a number of people here did not want to use it because of the registration required.

The board seems to be working fine right now; hopefully, what we experienced recently was a glitch.

JB
    JB57

HB Forum Owner
    Now What?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JB57 View Post
    Hi, Giannis. Yes, after this last happened, XP set up a google group where the community could meet, upload stories, etc. I uploaded a lot of my stories though, to be honest, I have not been back to the group in months because the board started working again. I don't have the link right now, but it is readily accessible. That being said, a number of people here did not want to use it because of the registration required.

The board seems to be working fine right now; hopefully, what we experienced recently was a glitch.

JB
    I share your hopefulness, JB. But from my end, I still get the error message when I try to navigate to another page and occasionally (though less often) even when signing on.

Fingers crossed, because I was able to "reply with quote."

A.P.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

Yes, I'm encountering the slow down again, and I got the 504 message once when I tried to login a few minutes ago. So, something is happening, but it's not nearly as bad as it was the last time we encountered problems. I can only hope it doesn't get much worse than this and that it improves to what any functioning website should be shortly.

JB
    JB57