Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

The Huge List...gone?

Every link to archived stories is giving me "No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator", is this permanent?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: The Huge List...gone?

The problem isn't with every story - it's just that links for a lot of them haven't been updated, since the battery of recent problems with hosting the forum.

A few years ago I ran my own database and forum of stories for Stargate fan-fiction, where we categorised them into subfolders via the host's FTP. We can't do this directly with Hostboard (as the site supports multiple groups of users); however, I think we should consider having one off-site to link the Huge List with.
    Last edited by indris; January 20th, 2019 at 11:57 AM.

WriteThisWay

There's literally a link on that page acknowledging that this has been the case for (I believe) well over a year now. The link takes you to a cached version of an older save with the majority of the stories available. This isn't new.

Senior Hostboard Member 44automag's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WriteThisWay View Post
    There's literally a link on that page acknowledging that this has been the case for (I believe) well over a year now. The link takes you to a cached version of an older save with the majority of the stories available. This isn't new.
    And when I use THAT link, then click for some of the stories in the archive, I get the following message:
    Site Maintenance: Monday, Nov 2, 2017

As you already know we lost a hard drive lat week which took down the database. We verified and still hold to that the backups are intact. However when went to restore the site, it looks like, some forums were not fully restored with threads X old missing. The issue now comes down that, vBulletin does not have a way to do a partial restore/comparison of old vs existing data. If we restore, all posts from this week will be lost. What I am thinking is this message is left up the next 8-12 hours giving everyone adequate notice. I then re-open the site giving everyone another 8-12 hours to copy their posts/changes, etc. We then close Hostboard down and preform another restore. Once re-opened users can then re-post there information and were back in business. As much of a headache as this is, it is a much more financially viable option, as the alternative would be rather expensive (2nd database, custom script to cross compare, etc.).

So , that being said, it is now 11:30am EST (my time). The site will remain down, to give notice as stated above until about 9:30PM EST whereby the site will be re-open, allowing users to copy any posts necessary.

PLEASE DO NOT POST DURING THIS TIME AS THEY WILL BE LOST ONCE WE START RESTORING THE DATABASE

I will then close the site back down at approximately 6:30AM EST and start the restoration process. Once we have manually verified those forums that notified me of the missing data, I will re-open the site and we will be back in business once again.
    Thank you for your understanding...

Sorry, Hostboard.com is currently off line while we address some issues, test some additional functionality and or preform some upgrades. We will be back online shortly.

Thank you for your understanding,
    Team Hostboard
    Last edited by 44automag; January 21st, 2019 at 05:33 PM.