Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Angry Grumble grumble

Not to be an old curmudgeon (but I will), I have to say that the frequency with which this board goes into pitifully slow mode or the "beloved" ERROR 504 is starting to get really annoying. I find it difficult to believe that there is no permanent solution to this frustrating situation.

Just venting,

A. Penman

WriteThisWay

Re: Grumble grumble

I would have agreed sooner, but it's taken more than 30 minutes just to get to the reply screen. Hostboard is completely useless and has been for years.

Senior Hostboard Member Johannesdk's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Yes, I'm getting more and more fed up with this board. Google-groups are not a good option, unfortunately, because it seems to be more or less just a plain lists of stories, with limited search and grouping capabilities.

It's due time to look for a more permanent place.

Johannes

Senior Hostboard Member calla242's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by apenman View Post
    Not to be an old curmudgeon (but I will), I have to say that the frequency with which this board goes into pitifully slow mode or the "beloved" ERROR 504 is starting to get really annoying. I find it difficult to believe that there is no permanent solution to this frustrating situation.

Just venting,

A. Penman
    solution is there: Google Groups
    but not used

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apenman View Post

Just venting,

A. Penman
    solution is there: Google Groups
    but not used

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

I agree that the board has presented a lot of problems over the past few years, though it is still the best option available to us. It seems to go through periods when it is fine and then others, like now, where it is extremely unreliable (though it has been worse in the past). The lack of reliability for the search function is also a problem. It's easier to find threads on this forum doing a google search than using the search function. The google groups site is a good backup, however, and I encourage people to use it and post their stories there, too, so that we have an archive and a place to maintain contact if the board ever goes down completely.

JB57
    JB57

Senior Hostboard Member kamafight's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

finally posted part 7 of my story after trying since morning. never seen the forum in such a bad state.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Grumble grumble

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I agree that the recurrent unreliability remains a problem and I haven't been on the site much at all in the last few months having received ERROR 504 quite frequently. I know there are back-up options available but none seem to offer an entirely satisfactory replacement from my perspective. Furthermore, as it was this forum that drew me in and nurtured my early writing attempts I can't help but remain quixotically attached to it.

I also find I have less motivation to write if I feel I'm struggling to connect with the audience, which is another way of saying that BSQ hasn't been progressing much lately. That's largely my own problem of motivation, but the connectivity issues aren't helping.

Lets hope things improve.

Rags

HB Forum Owner
    Grumble grumble

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Well said, Rags!

I too feel an attachment to this board as it also nurtured me in my early postings/writings and gave me the positive feedback I needed then, and still do now. There's a certain comfort/encouragement here that can't be found on the other alternative posting sites. I've posted on three different sites lately and have received minimal response. I believe this is because the other sites are not entirely writer focused. People come here to read (and occasionally vent) but story writing is the primary focus here. That's why I'm willing to stick with the board for a while longer, despite the frustration that comes with it.

Hope all is well with you, friend....
    A.P.

Also, let me thank all the others who've responded to this thread.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

Not to jinx anything, but it looks like the board may be working again! I guess we are going to have to get used to these periods of extremely frustrating unreliability followed by a relative return to normal. Better than nothing, though I really wish the search function could be fixed. As it is, I have a much easier time finding old stories using a regular google search than I do with the board's tools!

Anyway, I'm happy to see this is back in operation. I have a few new stories that are almost ready for posting. Anubis, I have not forgotten about the short story I owe you!

JB57
    JB57

Senior Hostboard Member Giannis-CB's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JB57 View Post
    I agree that the board has presented a lot of problems over the past few years, though it is still the best option available to us. It seems to go through periods when it is fine and then others, like now, where it is extremely unreliable (though it has been worse in the past). The lack of reliability for the search function is also a problem. It's easier to find threads on this forum doing a google search than using the search function. The google groups site is a good backup, however, and I encourage people to use it and post their stories there, too, so that we have an archive and a place to maintain contact if the board ever goes down completely.

JB57
    I am more for Literotica or Nifty Stories.
    IMHO it is a better solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast