Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Grumble grumble

The value of any item, is whatever it's purchaser is willing to pay for it.
    This board, is 100% free with no ads.
    The $150 a month they ask as a way of offsetting maintenance (from what I can gather) rarely gets any contributors despite the thousands of people using the board.

Does anyone really have authority to grumble?

HB Forum Owner
    Grumble grumble

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by droogi View Post
    The $150 a month they ask as a way of offsetting maintenance (from what I can gather) rarely gets any contributors despite the thousands of people using the board.

That's an interesting point...but I don't agree.

There are many contributors on this board...I'm one of them.

Indeed, I'd be willing to say that if the owner of this forum (Steve?) asked for $1500 (just as an example) to fix this problem PERMANENTLY, he would get it within days.

We all love this board, especially the writers. And we all hope that the glitches can be resolved, permanently. But the number of times that it goes down can be frustrating.

Sorry for being a curmudgeon...I meant no offense to anyone and I mean no offense to you, droogi.

Be well,

AP

Senior Hostboard Member
    Grumble grumble

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

You make a valid point droogi, and I have made a contribution in the past to show willing. However, no acknowledgement was forthcoming, and the $150 a month ask was not reduced by the amount of my contribution afterwards. Nor have I ever noticed this headline figure reduce at any time I have accessed the site which could be taken to imply that no one else is paying their dues either. I think if Hostboard are really serious about offsetting the maintenance cost they will need engage with the user base more proactively and increase the level of transparency.

All the best
    Rags

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

I've also had the experience of contributing to the board but not seeing the donation bar move at all. So, I don't know how many contributions are actually made that then just don't show up.

I think that Droogi makes valid points. However, the board does function on the basis of a lot of unpaid labour, especially from the writers, as Penman notes. So, there is a symbiotic relationship here.

JB57
    JB57

Senior Hostboard Member Rivals_Rapture's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Talking Re: Grumble grumble

This forum has been my go-to for reading actual fight stories for so many years that I cannot even remember when I first found it.

And I can say for sure that I would not have started writing had it not been for this board and reading the stories it has given a home to.

With that as backdrop, if there is any way I can help the runners of the board get the forum into a more stable place, I am absolutely willing to do so.

WriteThisWay

People have repeatedly given donations for years, yet Steven has often disappeared for months at a time without lifting a finger to fix the board. People have offered to buy the board from him, yet he never gets in contact to respond to any kind of offer. Hostboard has been a declining service for several years now, quite a few "upgrades" have broken the boards anywhere from days to permanently (search still doesn't work), and Steven doesn't give two shits about it. Everyone here has every right to complain as the only one not doing their part is the guy who took everyone's money and made zero improvements to the board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12