Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Re: No more chapters on Eurasia

Hey Jack,
    as a published writer of (non erotic) fiction I encourage you to keep on wrinting. Your ideas are great and I enjoyed your stories quite a lot. Your're just lacking experience and therefore fall into some traps most first time writers fall into. The major one would be: wanting to tell too much too fast. Your cast of characters plot outline and world building could easily fill a 400 pages novel. Take your time with introducing all that stuff to the reader. It's a marathon not a sprint. The second one goes along with this: take your time to polish your stories. Don't publish the first draft. Probably not the second either. Usually the most time consuming part of creating a story is not writing it down but revising it. It's worth it though as it turns a good piece of writing into a great one.
    Last edited by herbert3000; September 6th, 2019 at 10:08 AM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rivals_Rapture View Post
    Mr. Ryan:

You asked me not to read your story in one of your emails to me, so I have not and will not. And though because of the foregoing I can't offer advice or input on the stories themselves, I do want to relay something.

I may be new to writing in this genre, but I am not new to communities where people write tales hoping their work is enjoyed and commented on by others.

And from my time in that field, I have found that it is 100% NATURAL to feel like your self-worth is inexorably tied to your stories. That any criticism. Any less than positive feedback. Any lack of excitement on your readers' behalf is a sign of a deep personal failure.

I struggle with this, and frankly, every good author I have ever spoken to does too. They may not admit it. They may not advertise it. But everyone who writes wants their stories to be read, enjoyed, and commented on.

And when a story seems to have a dip in readers, a lack of comments, or negative feedback levied against it, it's easy to the point of being cruel to feel as if the piece you spent so much effort and time on is either worthless or being unfairly judged -- the former being the voice of one's own self-doubt and the latter a defensive mechanism.

I can't tell you how to ignore or suppress those feelings, as they torment me as well. But I can tell you that the emotions that led to this post are what all of us feel.

It's part of being a writer -- part of being a creator who cares.
    This is a very useful reply.Thank you.

You are spot on .You are a writer who has an ability to be spot on about emotions

I am a person who always looks for self improvement and i have already made a note of your input and will action it.
    I am usually very thought through but I let my sizeable enthusiasm and earnestness for this genre lead to premature anger
    I have had nice conversations with you and yes,i think i overreacted .I have always been a massive fan of your work as numerously expressed in our conversations .I apologize to you.

I hope you will one day read the two chapters and offer your feedback and input.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apenman View Post
    Well said, Rivals_rapture!
    AP

- - - Updated - - -

Jack,

I have, so far, only read part of your complex tale. And while it may take a second or even a third read for my elderly brain to finally grasp who's who, I will say something from the heart:

I know a talented writer when I read one and YOU are a talented (first time, in your own words) writer.

I agree with everyone else here. I urge you to KEEP AT IT and STAY WITH US. I think you may eventually come to realize that us "seniors" are indeed supportive of new writers.

Don't throw in the towel so easily, Jack. You've got talent. We all see that.

A. Penman

- - - Updated - - -
    I am usually very thought through but I let my sizeable enthusiasm and earnestness for this genre lead to premature anger
    It is heartening to see writers understand my outburst and offer me encouragement

I have had nice conversations with you all and yes,i think i overreacted because i was itching like an fanboy for all your inputs .I have always been a massive fan of all of your work as numerously expressed in our conversations .I apologize to you.

I am usually a mix of gut feeling and sharp objectivity but i overreacted out of earnest enthusiasm
    I have made a note of all your advice and input and appreciation and i will action on it.

Warm regards
    Jack

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberj View Post
    I don't pretend to be a great writer, but I was reading a thread where someone was making some points about how to 'correctly' write a sword & sorcery story. He was way to rigid in his views, I think, but he made the point that every Robert E. Howard (the recognized creator of the sword & sorcery genre) story began with some sort of action or fight scene. Over the course of the stories he built up a pretty elaborate world with different countries and cultures, but it was always done through description that supported the action in the story. What you are writing is much more complex than what Howard did, but, especially since this is a forum leaning more toward sexual action stories, that might help you as well.

Just my $0.02.
    Thank you for your input.I actually like bring in the sexfight after a certain narrative but thats not a thumb rule but i ensure the sexfight is a very critical part of the story
    What is your preference on where the sexfight should be placed ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by herbert3000 View Post
    Hey Jack,
    as a published writer of (non erotic) fiction I encourage you to keep on wrinting. Your ideas are great and I enjoyed your stories quite a lot. Your're just lacking experience and therefore fall into some traps most first time writers fall into. The major one would be: wanting to tell too much too fast. Your cast of characters plot outline and world building could easily fill a 400 pages novel. Take your time with introducing all that stuff to the reader. It's a marathon not a sprint. The second one goes along with this: take your time to polish your stories. Don't publish the first draft. Probably not the second either. Usually the most time consuming part of creating a story is not writing it down but revising it. It's worth it though as it turns a good piece of wrinting into a great one.

Thank you very much.I have noted your points and will keep it in my mind to implement as i begin work on the 3rd chapter today.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apenman View Post
    Well said, Rivals_rapture!
    AP

- - - Updated - - -

Jack,

I have, so far, only read part of your complex tale. And while it may take a second or even a third read for my elderly brain to finally grasp who's who, I will say something from the heart:

I know a talented writer when I read one and YOU are a talented (first time, in your own words) writer.

I agree with everyone else here. I urge you to KEEP AT IT and STAY WITH US. I think you may eventually come to realize that us "seniors" are indeed supportive of new writers.

Don't throw in the towel so easily, Jack. You've got talent. We all see that.

A. Penman

- - - Updated - - -
    Thank you very much .I cannot tell you how encouraging your comments are .
    My enthusiasm as a first time writer clouded my objective thinking for a while leading to an outburst of premature anger.
    Its heartening to see people on hostboard prop me up .All the comments have been encouraging,useful,incisive and it has really helped me
    I apologize for my outburst and i really value all the encouragement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12