Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Catfights are so yesterday(?)

So, I've been reading an article about an ear worm from this summer, called New Rules by Dua Lipa, who's especially progressive for someone having Kosovar parents (let's just say, the Balkans aren't that big on sexual equality). There was but one thing that bugged me, namely that in the Adweek article the author doesn't make it clear how she compares one female group of cohesion with gender stratification, of which catfights are an unofficial part (yes, I take full advantage of the fact, that this is a Culture, Society and Science board).

Aside for the obvious, that for readers here catfights are a form of gratification... it still up to the individual how they deal with conflicts, and a person who fights dirty will remain a catfighter even if the world stops for a minute to hug trees (I'm a social liberal, but also a realist, there's no scenario where such a world peace could be). My "beef" with the article is, that it presupposes, resolving one internal conflict can be generalized to all other conflicts. I honestly think that she as the author of the article should spend time among women who do take part in fights on a voluntary basis as something they want to do. Any person, man or woman can be friendly and civilized, unless it's a competition. Heck, depending on the sport, I too like to figuratively crush my opponents. It's a hormonal thing, not a sentient process. If anything, the discussion would be more served if there's reciprocity, for every talk about what women do on certain days, we should have one on why testosterone, a potent hormone makes us men stupid.

In conclusion, not only yesterday, but today and tomorrow there will be catfights, sometimes we know the peaceful solution is the best, but fighting can be fun, and for some it's a turn on. Hopefully one day we too will have our empowerment anthem

Senior Hostboard Member Ted Mark's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Catfights are so yesterday(?)

Four Questions?

• Are catfights wrong to watch?
    • Are Catfights sexual"
    • Is brutality in a catfight permissable?
    • Is over the top [bloody fighting] in a Catfight acceptable?

The answer to all four questions..... Look at females watching a girlfight.

Last Question: Do you think the other Hooters Girls were going apeshit in the circle around the fighting girls?

Oak Lawn Hooters Girls Catfight

two Hooters waitresses have been busted in a workplace dispute.

Sarah Rivera, 25, was charged with disorderly conduct after police broke up the catfight at the Hooters in the Chicago suburb of Oak Lawn, Illinois, where she was arrested and booked in her low-cut uniform.

Also arrested on the scene was 24-year old Megan Good, who works at the same franchise.

Goode was also charged with disorderly conduct in the incident, according to police records.

Both women were released on $120 bond pending court dates next month.

Sarah Rivera
    images?qtbnANd9GcRY no65BtCaaihrbw J1MPvdPixAbhQGMG3wMl4kBcOY AqQ2cZg

Megan Good
    meagan good?w500&amph750

Senior Hostboard Member catfightlover40's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

By its very definition, a catfight is a confrontation where no rules are present and holds are not barred, so it's innately violent... but definitely not sexual. My point was and still is, that the author has probably meant portraying women in the media as a catfighting bunch for cheap entertainment, but that's not the same as catfights are so yesterday. We spectators sensualize the event, either by one of the ladies being a surrogate, either by imagining it would lead to sex (which it definitely won't) or by stripping female flesh.

If I circle back to the lyrics, the one thing no mentioned critic has brought up is, that she's a successful musician, thus she doesn't date like the rest of us, her pool of possibilities are way bigger. As we humans are fallible, one genuine and never ending source for catfights is if the third person is very attractive. The other that I know of is a bad case of jealousy. If I wished to weave success stories, I could claim it had only upsides that my girlfriends were into catfights. The obvious downside is, they did so because they didn't trust me, the man. For obvious reasons, no story here will detail how the supposed prize is actually a definite loser of the bet, since will trust, and by extension respect him.

If the Hooters were fiction, based on what's known about the service industry, they probably ruffed feathers over a big tipping customer, whose contributions are a large part of their income in a job that doesn't offer full health care, and they possibly have kids at home. A story based in a back office area of a Hyatt on the other hand is a completely different tune.

Speaking of the hotel industry as one predominantly represented by women... it's good that huge steps are taken for and by women to be taken seriously, but a dash of truth compels me to throw in the fact, a person with a selfish personality won't help others if it hurts their own chances coming higher on the ladder. Verbal catfights aren't just more common, they also carry coded threats which, if decoded, supply enough scenarios for stories without them actually hurting each other.

All the marbles is one of my favorite movies, and that they were chosen out of hundreds of actresses comes through on the screen, especially since they haven't used doubles

Senior Hostboard Member catfightlover40's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So, it's fine and dandy that the edit function exists, and maybe I'm the moron, but whenever I'm done the edited post stays the same age, therefore I post this one.

I've read an excerpt from a book on Robert Aldrich's life, whose last movie was All the marbles. He was also responsible for massive rewrites to the script. Falk's character was originally supposed to be someone aspiring to be an English literature professor, Iris' motivation for fighting was supporting her son financially, and Molly... she was a lesbian who got sexually molested in childhood. In a sense, those characters were deeper than the ones we got, but still, the fight scenes still do somewhat transmit the original intentions. I'm talking about both Molly and Diane (from the opposing Toledo Tigers) being protective of their older partners whom they look up to as older sisters, and hence why their fight is way more vicious. I mean, Iris and June go for incapacitation, but the younger ones obliterate.

That brings me to a different confrontation from the last season of Hawaii Five-0 as a good example on how to do a brutal cerebral catfight/mindfuck between 2 characters. The interaction wasn't simply psychological training performed by 2 mental health professionals, it was deeply personal. While it's true that disarming the other is the aim, the notions about how neither could enjoy sex (which was underscored by the power move of placing a dead body in the other's bed well knowing they sleep alone)... I could say it wasn't the proudest moment in female conversation history. However we're humans, therefore fallible, and very few can like everyone. The killer literally played a game of chess as it was personal to her, so she made it personal for the other woman too, basically she wanted to break her mind (she succeeded) but also to take over her life.