Thread: Homer: Blind Poet of 700 B.C.

Mareyjones5

Question

Is anyone familiar with Homer, who was a blind poet in Greek of 700 B.C.? In school I am learning about him and the poems he wrote: <u>The Iliad</u> and <u>The Odyssey</u>. Could someone explain to me what are those two poems about?

Thanks!

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 09, 2005 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Kate_Madison ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

http://www.mythweb.com/odyssey/
    Here's a fun link))

I have studied it myself, but it was a long time ago. The poems Illiad and Odyssey are works of art that are based on knowledge that was gathered and passed through generations. It is highly unlikely, that they are written by one author, but if it is, it is done through collection of this knowledge.
    Homer's poems describe the Troy war. They are penetrated by the Greek culture and mythology, which is very reach and fascinating. If you search the internet on the topic of Homer's poems, I am sure you will find lots of relevant information, because critics still argue about the sources of the works and the origins.
    You can accept someone else's view or form your own, through researching on the topic, but there will always be another contradictory view...