Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Reading what others have written about sex,some can wax quite poetic,complete with spiritual and religious overtones,using phrases like "melding of mind,body and spirit","highest expression of love" and "total bonding".This type of thought places a biological function right alongside such activities as prayer,meditation and eating.Is this really accurate?Is sex really such a metaphysical act?Allow me to put it into a perspective here:

Earlier this week on my job(I'm a TV news cameraman),we did a story on a young 19 year old university freshman who had discovered that he had testicular cancer during a routine sports exam.He told us baseball literally saved his life as he would not have gone for a physical exam otherwise.He lost both testicals so sex and hope for fatherhood are pretty much over for him.Now if we were to take sex as seriously as the "sex is sacred" ilk does,then this man has no reason to go on living,for according to this line of thinking,he can never have a complete relationship with a woman he falls in love with.He can never attain a complete bond that results in a new life,so what's the point of going on?Yet here is this young man,back at school,playing baseball and looking at a bright future.I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see this fellow in the pros someday.

I love sex,wouldn't want to live without it myself (but I don't think I would want to end life if I suffered something like cancer,I like life pretty good,want to make it last as long as I can),but there are so many other aspects of life that define me as a person.My work for example.In 1992 I faced a frightening possibility of losing both libido and career.I had to take two years off from work on disability after surgery and since there was a lawsuit involved,it was longer than that before I could work back in my profession.The depression I suffered during that time drained so much out of me,libido was pretty much non existent.

Recovery taught me a new appreciation for both,but it put some things into perspective.As I get older,I realize that eventually the libido will fade,but my creativity is something that I can hone and sharpen no matter how old I get.This is what defined me as a person and individual, sex is a biological function.

This is one of the main reasons why I call into question the way people try to define men and women by their sexuality.Does a woman still have to be worth less because of sexual history or habits?Is a man really less of a man if he's gay?Is a man really more of a man if he has harem of women?Who cares?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Sexual Relevance" I hereby claim that phrase.

Our society thrives and markets to sexually relevant people. If a person is not sexually relevant, they have less importance, at least based on how we train our young.

There is a terrific message in a commercial about turning 60, in which the actor ( why can't I think of his name???) says, "I turn 60 and I'm not supposed to dream anymore?"

A strong message for sure.