Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm old enough to remember when stores and businesses were closed on Sundays and then as time went on,only absolute necessities were sold on Sunday.That meant no alcohol,candy,tobacco,toys (used to piss me off when I was a kid growing up in Charleston,SC in the early 60's)or anything else that wasn't a necessity.
    Today the argument is that you can't survive as a big major city with Blue Laws and the conservatism that accompanies them.My town of Jacksonville,Florida boasts of being over a million people,the home of the 2005 Super Bowl and many other things,but it also has the reputation that the First Baptist Church of downtown Jacksonville is the unofficial invisible government.I honestly believe if they could enforce it here,there would be laws requiring marriage licenses to be presented on demand at hotels and motels for couples.Year after year,there is a constant battle between the owners of adult entertainment industries and the city fathers.Back in 1989,they outlawed topless and nude dancing where alcohol is served (funny thing,I've never seen a Bible scripture that says anything about viewing breasts while drinking alcohol).Now the owners of these business are constantly saying that if the city fathers want this town to grow to host such things as the Super Bowl,there will be certain things they'll have to look the other way on,namely "vice" type businesses.I have noticed in the few years before we officially got the 2005 Super Bowl,things have relaxed.There are more bikini clubs and they are now allowed to remove their tops after midnight (go figure the rationale behind that one) and adult video stores are now allowed,whereas before they weren't.Opinions please.Do you think that for a town to grow to the level of what is considered a major city,certain vices have to be tolerated?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Gasp, somebody cover President Bush's eyes before he reads this topic and his head explodes.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    [img]biggrin.gif[/img] ROFLMAO!!!No worry,Alex,there are too many polysyllabic words in this post for him.He would need Cheney to translate it into moron.