Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1. Read the sonnet.
    2. Answer the question assigned to you (name is found next to the question) + in your post write a paragraph explaining why you chose the one that you did. You can use any sources you want for your answer.
    3. Next week I will post the answers and justifications. You will post a second time in response to this.

Good luck.

Mr. Branch

Nuns fret not at their convent's narrow room
    And hermits are contented with their cells;
    And students with their pensive citadels;
    Maids at the wheel, the weaver at his loom,
    Sit blithe and happy; bees that soar for bloom, (5)
    High as the highest Peak of Furness-fells,
    Will murmur by the hour in foxglove bells:
    In truth the prison, into which we doom
    Ourselves, no prison is: and hence for me,
    In sundry moods, 'twas pastime to be bound (10)
    Within the Sonnet's scanty plot of ground;
    Pleased if some Souls (for such there needs must be)
    Who have felt the weight of too much liberty,
    Should find brief solace there, as I have found.

1. Which of the following best represent the structural divisions of the poem? (Lucas)
    a. Lines 1-4; 5-8; 9-12; 13-14
    b. Lines 1-7; 8-10; 11-13; 14
    c. Lines 1-7; 8-9 ? ; 9 ? - 14
    d. Lines 1-8; 9-11; 12-14
    e. Lines 1-9; 10-13; 14

2. Which of the following best describes the organization of the poem? (Sofi A)
    a. A series of logically developing ideas with a concluding personal application
    b. A series of examples followed by a generalization and a personal application
    c. A generalization followed by examples
    d. A specific assertion followed by examples followed by a contradiction of the initial assertion
    e. An answer followed by a question that cannot be answered

3. In line 3, the phrase ?pensive citadels? can best be paraphrased as (Jorge, Fela)
    a. Towers in which students are imprisoned
    b. Castles under siege
    c. Dreary fortresses
    d. Refuges for contemplation
    e. Strongholds that inspire thought

4. The ?we? of line 8 could refer to all of the following EXCEPT (Juan Max)
    a. Criminals
    b. Poets
    c. Nuns
    d. Hermits
    e. Students

5. In line 8, ?prison? is parallel to all of the following EXCEPT (Mary)
    a. ?narrow room? (line 1)
    b. ?pensive citadels? (line 3)
    c. ?Peak of Furness-fells? (line 6)
    d. ?foxglove bells?(line 7)
    e. ?scanty plot of ground? (line 11)

6. Lines 8-9 (?In truth the prison unto which we doom/Ourselves no prison is?) is an example of? (Hugo, Jordan)
    a. Hyperbole
    b. Personification
    c. Alliteration
    d. Simile
    e. Paradox

7. In line 10, the assertion ?twas pastime? is parallel to all of the following phrases EXCEPT (Alexia, Mauri)
    a. ?fret not? (line 1)
    b. ?are contented? (line 2)
    c. ?Sit blithe? (line 5)
    d. ?Will murmur? (line 7)
    e. ?we doom? (line 8)

8. The figure of speech in line 11 (?Within the Sonnet?s scanty plot of ground?) is (Rodrigo, Giuliano)
    a. A simile comparing the writing of poetry to a field
    b. A simile comparing the poet to the farmer
    c. A metaphor comparing the sonnet and a small piece of land
    d. A metaphor comparing the pleasures of writing poetry and the pleasures of gardening
    e. An apostrophe

9. In line 14, ?there? refers to (Maria Celeste, Bruce)
    a. The sonnet (line 11)
    b. The soul (line 12)
    c. Pleasure (line 12)
    d. Weight (line 13)
    e. Liberty (13)

10. Which of the following phrases from the poem best sums up its central idea? (Alberto)
    a. ?hermits are contented with their cells? (line 2)
    b. ?Maids at the wheel?/Sit blithe and happy? (lines 4-5)
    c. ?the prison, unto which we doom/Ourselves, no prison is? (lines 8-9)
    d. ?such there needs must be? (line 12)
    e. ?Who have felt the weight of too much liberty? (line 13)

11. From the poem, the reader may infer all of the following about the speaker EXCEPT that he (Idamay, Chris)
    a. Feels deep compassion for nuns
    b. Sometimes finds liberty onerous
    c. Respects literary traditions
    d. Finds conventional verse forms congenial to his talent
    e. Has written a number of sonnets

12. The rhyme scheme of this poem is especially appropriate because (Sofi H., Dain)
    I. Lines 1-8 employ the traditional abba, abba of the Italian sonnet
    II. It is restricted to only four rhymes in the fourteen lines
    III. It makes judicious use of slant rhymes

a. III only
    b. I and II only
    c. I and III only
    d. II and III only
    e. I, II, and III

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 06, 2007 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Mr Branch ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For number 4, I choose "A" as the correct answer. The question seems pretty straightforward because it asks to what the word "who" may refer to in line BIG 8. Since the poem's personas already mentions almost all answer choices as examples of people commiting themselves to that kind of repression, and then clues that poets also find where to get rid of some of that overwhelming liberty, then the only anwer choice left is A: CRIMINALS. Criminals are never even mentioned in the sonnet, so that makes it finding the answer even easier.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

for question six i chose what i believe to be the correct answer, "E"(Paradox). the reason i chose paradox is because this sentence seems to contradict itself, but at the same time it seems like its a true statement.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I choose ans. A= Lines 1-4; 5-8; 9-12; 13-14.
    I believe that the sonnet is structured as such because each line talks about something differently. Lines 1-4 mark the intro to the "sonnet's story". Lines 5-8 present a different theme and so on.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

12. The rhyme scheme of this poem is especially appropriate because (Sofi H., Dain)
    I. Lines 1-8 employ the traditional abba, abba of the Italian sonnet
    II. It is restricted to only four rhymes in the fourteen lines
    III. It makes judicious use of slant rhymes

a. III only
    b. I and II only
    c. I and III only
    d. II and III only
    e. I, II, and III

I think that the answer would have to be "B", because although I, II and III are correct only I and II add to the appropriateness of the poem, "The judiciouse use of slant rymes" is not necesarily appropriate. For it to have been more appropriate not only to a sonnet but also to the theme would have been for it to be a perfect rhyme, or a rich rhyme.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 11, 2007 01:18 PM: Message edited by: dainkelly ]</font>

Inactive Member alberto_dacosta's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think that choice C is the correct answer for question #10. The first four verses of the poem reference individuals that are, according to the poem's narrator, happy to find themselves in some sort of spiritual or physical confinement. The last verses imply that the human being seeks constraints by himself, since he "[feels] the weight of too much liberty", and we have the poem's narrator stating that he chooses to write sonnets because of their structural and stylistic requirements that make it necessary for him to follow a set of rules.

Having said all this, it seems obvious to me that the poem is speaking about the nature of this human self-restriction. Neither choices A nor B provide a complete description of the poem's central theme; they are examples of the theme. Choice D doesn't match the references made in the poem, and choice E doesn't address the "hermits" and "nuns" that are "contented with their cells"; the weight of "too much liberty" isn't referenced in any example given in the poem. Therefore, I think it's accurate to say that the correct choice is C.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Juan Max - Well done, (A) is the answer. The exception is the criminals. A criminal in prison has not chosen prison voluntarily, while, according to the poem, the nun, poet, hermit, and students have chosen the restrictions of the convent, the sonnet, the cell, or the citadel.

Dain - We are 2 for 2; the answer is (B). Among a number of possible rhyme schemes for the sonnet, the poet has chosen one of the most restrictive, in keeping with the thesis of the poem that a chosen restraint is not restraining.

Jordan - Yes! It is a paradox (E), an apparently self-contradictory statement. To say a prison is not a prison is paradoxical. Another term for this figure is oxymoron.

Lucas - You went straight for our handy Shakesperian sonnet structure (Quatrain, Quatrain, Quatrain, Couplet). Unfortunately, this poem avoids both the Shakesperian and Italian sonnet structures: Line 8 and half of line 9 state the thesis of the poem: that a self-chosen restriction is not a restriction at all. The first seven lines of the poem give six different examples of self-chosen restrictions. Lines 9 1/2, 10, and 11 apply the idea of the self-elected restrictions to the poet's choosing to write in the difficult and limiting sonnet form. Lines 12-14 express the poet's satisfaction in others finding teh same pleasure in his sonnets. The correct answer is (C).

Alberto - (C) is correct. This option, using the prison metaphor, explicitly states the theme of the sonnet.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

5. In line 8, ?prison? is parallel to all of the following EXCEPT (Mary)
    a. ?narrow room? (line 1)
    b. ?pensive citadels? (line 3)
    c. ?Peak of Furness-fells? (line 6)
    d. ?foxglove bells?(line 7)
    e. ?scanty plot of ground? (line 11)

The answer is E because the poet says that when it is refering to the "scanty slot of ground" it is actually talking about the sonnet. He also comes to say that the "scanty slot of ground", if it can be paralleled to the prison is not really a prison as it is refered to in line 8 because it is followed by positive attributes.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

9. In line 14, ?there? refers to
    a. The sonnet (line 11)
    b. The soul (line 12)
    c. Pleasure (line 12)
    d. Weight (line 13)
    e. Liberty (13)

The correct answer is (a), since the poet hopes that the readers would find "brief solace" in the sonnet as well. If we look that the whole sentence, we can realize that the last noun which appears is "the Sonnet's scanty plot of ground", thus "there" is referring to that.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

8. The figure of speech in line 11 (?Within the Sonnet?s scanty plot of ground?) is (Rodrigo, Giuliano)
    a. A simile comparing the writing of poetry to a field
    b. A simile comparing the poet to the farmer
    c. A metaphor comparing the sonnet and a small piece of land
    d. A metaphor comparing the pleasures of writing poetry and the pleasures of gardening
    e. An apostrophe

This line is dealing with a "plot of ground," therefore it must refer to a plot of ground. It can't be an apostrophe because this literary device means an invocation to a direct person or a superior being.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast