Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Stoveman,

I just caught the bug. I found an old Crosley Shelvador refridgerator at an estate sale yesterday for $25. I brought it home and it works. The body looks to have been painted several times and the gasket needs to be replaced but all the parts are there. Here is my question, where can I get a replacement gasket? and What do you know about Crosley Refrigerators?

thanks

Frank

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ October 01, 2006 07:05 AM: Message edited by: fschimmel ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Antiqueappliances.com can provide all the gaskets and info you need for the refrigerators. Click on the refrigerator/unrestored link and then parts link. Loads of gaskets. The Shelvador was a popular model, sone modles even having a second interior door on the inside of the front door. Some freezers had cool glass doors. They run forever........another forum member has a Shelvador also. The old fridges, especially the monitor tops, run nearly silently. They are a true pleasure to live with. Last night while preparing dinner, I used our Hobart coffee grinder, the blender and the mix master and my husband's comment was "those machines all run SO quietly..." compared to contemporary appliances, these old guys are way down on the decibels.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tom, That sounds like a great price and condition on the GE Monitor Top. The cooling gas changed thru the years of the monitor top. there should be a label on the back or near the conpressor that identifies the type of gas. If it is the dangerous type, a good refrigeration man can replace it with a current safer freon. Go for it!

Frank, Powell Crosley always seemed to be marching to a different drummer, but it was a good beat! Crosley products (Radios, TV, Appliances, Cars, etc.) always were just a little different from the rest and they were of good quality at a cheaper price. I always get a chuckle when I think about Powell selling his Icyballs worldwide.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Any ideas about this one?

1939 frigidare retroriffic refrigerator/works perfect/ - $650

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reply to: [email][email protected][/email]
    Date: 2006-11-20, 12:35PM CST

purchased at an estate sale in san diego . i am the second owner. original owner had it in his machine shop and it is in mint condition and makes ice in about an hour. a must have for any retro kitchen or bar! was the first year a fridge came with a freezer inside! cant remember the name of the designer but he designed locomotives etc in that era.... drop me a line if interested!

[url="http://austin.craigslist.org/fur/237598286.html"]http://austin.craigslist.org/fur/237598286.html[/url]

Lori G.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If freezer space is not an issue, there is enough in this for two ice cube trays, I believe and the outrageous price doesn't phase you....then it's good deal. For real freezer pace, you need to move into a 1950's made unit. The best ones still come from estate sales and rarely sell for more than $100.00. CONDITION is key. If you really want a vintage fridge, place a want ad in your local community papers....1950's Fridge wanted, will pay cash...you will get calls. I used the local, Polish, Italian, Jewish and German papers and and more calls than I could handle. The great thing about advertising is that it convinces people to buy things they don't need. There was a big leap in fridge design and fridge options in the 60's and advertisers convinced people to dump those "old and clunky" 50's machines for sleek, new and modern 60's styles. Many 50's fridges, just ten years old or less, found their way to the basement and were used in the most peripheral manner, basic infrequent use. Those are the ones to look for, second kitchen fridges.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Ya gotta have a vintage Refrigerator

Hello to all! I'm new to this formum and I'm seeking a 1957 Servel Gas Refrigerator. If anyone has information on these friges, or has one to sell please contact me. Thanks!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm starting a Servel Refrigerator Fan page on facebook. Check it out and join.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

This forum has been moved to:

[url=http://chambersrangers.proboards74.com/index.cgi]Chambers Rangers Discussion Board - Login[/url]
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi! Evereyone,
    I am new here. We just got a 50's Hotpoint fridge, it works great. The main problem is the gasket. I found a cut to fit gasket with almost the same profile, does anyone know if there is any problem using the modern magnetic gaskets on a vintage refrigerator? Also the front plastic pieces on either side of the door opening are flaking and cracked, any ideas on repair. I know I can form new one with fiberglass but was hoping for a quick fix. It doesn't have to be perfect just look decent and protect the insulation.

I don't want to start on the cabinet resto until we fix the functional problems. The door badge is missing, it's the V style. I guess I'll be haunting Ebay, flea markets and the like.

Thanks
    Rev. Theresa

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Re: Ya gotta have a vintage Refrigerator

Hello,

I've just purchased a 1936 Coldspot for $25. It runs but leaks some freon. The unit inside was replaced sometime around the 50's. Since I am not knowledgeable about refrigerator repair, I am wondering if I can just get new replacement parts or if the whole unit will need to be updated, etc.? Is this something I can fix on my own or if I had to hire someone, any idea of a general range of what it would cost?

Also, on the upper backside it is completely open so I can see the inner workings. Is this meant to be this way or is it missing some sort of panel? I've searched the web and the only info. I could find about my fridge was an old advertisement for a similar model (which of course doesn't show me the backside). Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast