The mother of a missing Hamilton man vowed yesterday to never give up the search as she launched a petition calling on the government to establish a database that could help find her son.

Donna Dixon told reporters she needs answers. Her son, Billy Mason, 27, disappeared more than 18 months ago.

"I will never give up," said Dixon. "I have to find Billy. Nothing is going to stop me."

Dixon hopes the petition calling for a national DNA Bank and national missing persons index will speed legislation.

Wayne Marston, NDP MP for Hamilton East-Stoney Creek, will table the petition after the new session of Parliament begins Oct. 16.

A missing persons index would allow police to compare remains to some of the estimated 4,800 missing people in Canada. They could also check possible clues, such as a sweater Dixon found near Pier 4 Park that she believes might be her son's.

Inspector Rick Wills, in charge of the investigative services division of Hamilton police, said DNA is an "enormous" investigative tool. Police are helping create appropriate legislation, said Wills, adding that the case, which became a homicide investigation when a witness reported seeing Mason marched from his home at gunpoint, remains active.

"We need to know," said grandmother Mary Mason. "It would stop the everyday waiting for the phone to ring ... It's been absolute hell."

Anyone with information about Mason can call Detective Mike Maloney at 905-546-4921.