If you were to say that there are things in life you truly deserve, what would you name?:

Serena: I'll speak not only for myself, but for anyone else who this may apply to: if you have a talent, it's your calling to USE it. If you use it, then you deserve only good things that come from using it.

Suzy Chapstick: Hugs and learning.

Wjelb: I deserve to be treated well because I am obliged to treat others well. I believe in the inherent worth of each person. And am frequently disappointed.

Martha: This is a tough one. I know we all feel we are entitled to things in life -- but what do we truly deserve??? I would like to think I deserve to be treated the way I treat other people -- good or bad. But usually good. I don't feel I deserve a big house, car, TV, whatever -- but I work hard and am a decent human being, so I probably deserve to be as comfortable as I am. A small comfortable house, cars that work when you need them to, a family that loves me as much as I love them, plenty to eat.....what more do you really need?

I liked this question and I actually put it to my 8 and 11 year old children this week. With Christmas looming on the horizon and their lists getting longer and more expensive, I thought it was fitting. They have not answered me yet because they are still thinking about it. But I noticed my 11 year old son had crossed a few things off his list. (They are normal children and their rooms are a mess!! And they don't help as much as they should around the house and I am trying to instill a better work ethic in them. Too much nowadays is just handed to kids with no thought or work put into it on their parts. I don't like that message. It's like the sports teams that don't keep score and give every kid a trophy no matter what. I hate that -- life does not work that way! I think it's a bad lesson for them.....but I digress).

My Answer: I feel we are all deserving of the best in life. Love, life, and all the riches that God blesses us with. I became an optimist years ago. I believed I deserved happiness, security, a decent job, a loving relationship, and abundant friends. I got everything I wanted. My self-esteem skyrocketed to the point that some friends started admonishing me for my egotism. Actually, it was the only way I could feel good about myself. Now, I don't even need theater anymore to inject that ego boost.

Wien88: I deserve recognition for the quality job I do at work. Luckily I usually
tend to get it without fishing for compliments. But I do think it is much
deserved.

I also deserve to be happy, but then again, I think everyone deserves to be
happy...however we each define happiness. Or do you say Happyness ;-)

Beth: I believe life, and all that we are given in it, is a gift from God. Therefore, I don't feel I deserve any of it, but am blessed by what I have been given. (Including health, the surgery went well, the tumor-like thing (it's strange) is out, and all is benign. God is very good.) I think one problem with some of society, is people acting as if they deserve far more than even what most people have. If we would only look at what most of the world lives with, and lacks, and compare our own lives to that, we would see how richly we've been blessed, and I think we'd be a lot more content.

Zerlina: Do I DESERVE anything? No. Not really.

Am I greatful for everything I do have?
You bet--my loving hubby. Family. Friends. (Even when we are on the
opposite side of the political debate! I know we don't have to agree on
politics to friends. America isn't perfect but it's better than MOST
places.)

By-Tor: I believe the only thing I deserve is to die. I prefer to believe
everything else in life is earned. The sense of entitlement displayed by
so many people simply pisses me off. 'Nuff said!

Shi: This question throws me for a loop - and I think its the way its worded.... "Truly" deserve. The definition of deserve is to earn or merit.... So therefore you have to do something, in order to be deserving of.... And the way I interpret the question is being truly deserving "just because" - for no reason at all... And I dont agree with that, therefore I do not think anyone, myself included are truly deserving of anything (unless of course you've earned it)

Too many people think they deserve this or that, or the right to something, based on the color of their skin, their nationality, religion, sex, financial status, etc.... That's a bunch of BS and hog wash!

PS: I would imagine there might be some, what I would consider "obvious" answers, such as... love, happiness etc... But then again, if all you do is make people miserable and are an absolute ogre to be around - then why do you deserve to be anything? You get outta life what you put into it. And Im sure there'll be some that suggest freedom of speech, right to bear arms, all the constitutional rights as deserving - but thats not the way I thought the question was geared.