Thread: Having to shorten driveshaft on lowered S-10?? True?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

In short, I bought a '94 Chevy s-10 2 wheel drive with a 2.2liter 4 cylinder and a 5 speed that was lowered with drop spindles in the front and 3'' lowering blocks in the rear and i was told the crankshaft and number 4 rod had been replaced right before i bought it. so i bought it and about a month later it started leaking oil and after driving it for about 20 minutes or 20 miles, and idling, the oil pressure would be way down in the orange (5psi about) and the "check gauges" light came on and it would start slightly knocking. so i took it back to the guy i bought it from and he said he'd take it back to where he had the work done and he did and they told me they need to shorten the driveshaft because the truck has been lowered which in turn put so much pressure on my crankshaft (through the trans) which tore the rear main seal up which they said was probably why they replaced the crank in the first place. they said that they couldn't even pry the driveshaft out after they took the bolts out so it seems like it was squished in there but i dont see how that could push on the crank so hard to tear that seal up. well they didnt shorten the driveshaft, just put one in from a gmc 4x4 something...all it said on it was "gmc 4x4" (since they're also a junkyard) so they sent me on my way and the oil leak is fixed but not the super low oil pressure or knocking and when i changed my oil today there were tiny metal shavings in it which aren't a good sign. And i think they screwed the motor up in the first place but used the driveshaft as a excuse because me or my dad has never heard that you need to shorted a driveshaft in a rear wheel drive car if you lower it because of the pressure on the crankshaft...we've always had lowered cars.

i would just like to know if anybody else has heard this or thinks its BS. I'm going to try to take everything to small claims court but i need other opinions and would GREATLY appreciate it.

my theory is, they originally replaced the crankshaft because the engine had metal shavings in the motor which tore up or spun a bearing and screwed the crankshaft up. so they didnt replace cam bearings or anything and the guy sold me the truck and now the metal has torn up all the bearings, causing it to knock and which is why i have no oil pressure. does this make sense to anyone else? thanks so much

take care
    Ryan Washington
    www.RyansCustoms.com

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think i know whats going on with your truck. It probably involves changing your motor out. Ive had this problem before. When you see sparkly stuff in your oil, that can never be good. Either the oil pump is going bad or a bearing going bad in your motor. Hopefully its not the latter, but in this case...I think it is considering you hear the famous knocking sound. But then again, it could be a combo of both. Hope this info helps. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Also forgot to add, The crankshaft deal is probably all bs..sorry dude you may have gotton hosed on that one.