Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering

Luckily the Raspberry Pi is the most documented single board PC so the info is out there. I'm doing this through mine, so I can't directly tell you what to do, but if you want some visual improvements, look up how to turn shaders on.

In the RetroPie area of the menu, I think it's the 3rd or 4th option(it'll say it affects all the emulators, you'll want a keyboard, it's just smoother with one), turn smoothing/blur(I think it's called the former) to True, I think this also where you turn shaders to True as well.

As for shaders, 2 passes, first one should be SNES-hires-blend. That should smoother over dithering(one of the most noticeable areas would be shadows in Comix Zone). From there, to make the image even smoother, believe it or not, the 2nd shader should be scanlines. It really will decrease the pixelation. If you want screen curvature, and this is kind of exaggerated, but still, on a 3rd pass, add barrel distortion, then make the scanline options scaling 5(which is max), otherwise you get jailbars instead of scanlines when combined with barrel distortion.

Anyway, like an actual CRT, the scanlines should blend in a bit, and look more like the color of the image, and not be dark black. May be annoying at first, but as someone with actual classic consoles hooked up to an actual CRT, you eventually stop noticing, especially with motion.

I mean, I suppose you can just leave the image sharp/pixelated, but I personally think it looks better when thing are smoothed over as a CRT would.
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Senior Hostboard Member midnightryder259's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

...wish I knew/remember how to edit a post, if it's still possible, so I'm not constantly making these one after the other.

Played through Grandia II(Dreamcast, emulated) a little while back. Then after being reminded of a late game story element of, I began to realize how much inspiration the Grandia series must have taken from, Phantasy Star IV. Sega and Game Arts seem to have always had a good relationship, Alisia Dragoon being on the Genesis Mini proves that they still must.

*Storyline spoilers, apologies to anyone that hasn't played Phantasy Star IV & Grandia II, should you read this first*:
    So, in the "offline" Phantasy Star series, the big entities of good and evil have a battle, evil is imprisoned, bits of it occasionally escape(in this case once every 1,000 years), good is never heard from again. Very similar to the story in Grandia II.
    *End of spoilers*
    [I forget how to do a lot of things at this board...]

The characters have individual portraits so you know who's talking, talk back to some of the NPC's, and can even talk among themselves(OK, this is less like the dinner/camping scenes in the Grandia series, and more like what the "Tales of..." games would use, to remind the player of where they left off[with that same exact purpose in mind], but still). Also, Phantasy Star II and IV have unique equipment that can be used to cast spells for free in battle, like a lot of Elena's staves, and some of the other weapons in GII.

If I still liked the genre, I'd wish there were more full blown sci-fi types(with almost no trace of fantasy) .
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Senior Hostboard Member midnightryder259's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Apologies if that was bad RetroPie emulation advice for some a couple of posts back.

Turns out if you have a 3rd filter(or a 2nd one with 2 effects), it actually may slow things down to the point where entire frames of animation don't show. It's still not quick enough, but scanline scaling at 3x with the Barrel Distortion shader is quicker and still looks like it should.

Just stick with the SNES-hires-blend and Scanlines(no scaling) shaders(hopefully with linear filtering always on) and things should still look good.