Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Granaboard 2013 virtual gathering

I don't know if it's on Netflix, other than most likely on DVD.

Not sure I could legally link anything here, but I've found ways to stream it.
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Senior Hostboard Member That_Bojack's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midnightryder259 View Post
    I don't know if it's on Netflix, other than most likely on DVD.

Not sure I could legally link anything here, but I've found ways to stream it.
    Gotcha, so I went to Walmart and found out they do 35mm film developing but you don't get your negatives back. They put that shit on a CD and give it to you........... so um yeah, the NSA for sho!

Senior Hostboard Member midnightryder259's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmm... you know I never thought much of the '80's in terms of sitcoms, but then I realize, I wouldn't be able to appreciate them in the single digits of age.

I've found 3 good ones so far.

Amen - hard to find any of these, mainly I've seen what I could find at Youtube, and a lot of the time with a really loud fuzz the whole way through, but it's what Sherman Hemsley did after he was done being George Jefferson. Here he's a Deacon, and it's pretty damn good.

Mr. Belvedere(whole series appear to be on Youtube) - Here, the titular character is a butler for a household where the father works daily and the mother studies to become a lawyer. Premise kinda falls apart in the 5th season though... There's actually a series of movies in the late '40's/early '50's, the first one being based off a novel, where the character is actually incredibly arrogant, but he's always able to back it up. He's almost nothing like that in the '80's sitcom, but he does still have his worldly experience. It's a pretty good show. Interesting fact, the last movie in that series had Zero Mostel in it, who was the star of Mel Brooks' The Producers, or at least co-star with Gene Wilder. That movie has a scene where they're casting for an expectedly awful play, and the casting director was Christopher Hewit, who was the '80's sitcom Mr. Belvedere.

Finally, lately I'm watching Gimme a Break! (over here gimme break - YouTube) and it's pretty good. It has the spirit of a Norman Lear production(All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Sanford & Son, Maude, Good Times, One Day at a Time, etc.). Case in point, some of the earlier episodes are kind of emotional for a sitcom, but the humor's always there, and it does pick up more as it goes along. It stars a black woman, who volunteered to be the housekeeper of a white family, when the mother died. The father(a police chief)'s incredibly old fashioned, and has, onscreen, slapped at least 2 of the 3 daughters so far. You wouldn't see that today, at least not in a show trying to be a sitcom. Seems a bit ahead of it's time in some ways too. They used a "kiss asphalt" line almost 10 years to the day before The Simpsons did it.

Once I'm done with that, should be interesting to see if there's anything else good I missed because I was too young, but I doubt I'll see anything as being as good as the '70's were in this department.
    "And I've got one more silver dollar, but I'm no gonna let 'em catch me, no, not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider." - The Allman Brothers Band, Midnight Rider

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midnightryder259 View Post
    Hmm... you know I never thought much of the '80's in terms of sitcoms, but then I realize, I wouldn't be able to appreciate them in the single digits of age.

I've found 3 good ones so far.

Amen - hard to find any of these, mainly I've seen what I could find at Youtube, and a lot of the time with a really loud fuzz the whole way through, but it's what Sherman Hemsley did after he was done being George Jefferson. Here he's a Deacon, and it's pretty damn good.

Mr. Belvedere(whole series appear to be on Youtube) - Here, the titular character is a butler for a household where the father works daily and the mother studies to become a lawyer. Premise kinda falls apart in the 5th season though... There's actually a series of movies in the late '40's/early '50's, the first one being based off a novel, where the character is actually incredibly arrogant, but he's always able to back it up. He's almost nothing like that in the '80's sitcom, but he does still have his worldly experience. It's a pretty good show. Interesting fact, the last movie in that series had Zero Mostel in it, who was the star of Mel Brooks' The Producers, or at least co-star with Gene Wilder. That movie has a scene where they're casting for an expectedly awful play, and the casting director was Christopher Hewit, who was the '80's sitcom Mr. Belvedere.

Finally, lately I'm watching Gimme a Break! (over here gimme break - YouTube) and it's pretty good. It has the spirit of a Norman Lear production(All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Sanford & Son, Maude, Good Times, One Day at a Time, etc.). Case in point, some of the earlier episodes are kind of emotional for a sitcom, but the humor's always there, and it does pick up more as it goes along. It stars a black woman, who volunteered to be the housekeeper of a white family, when the mother died. The father(a police chief)'s incredibly old fashioned, and has, onscreen, slapped at least 2 of the 3 daughters so far. You wouldn't see that today, at least not in a show trying to be a sitcom. Seems a bit ahead of it's time in some ways too. They used a "kiss asphalt" line almost 10 years to the day before The Simpsons did it.

Once I'm done with that, should be interesting to see if there's anything else good I missed because I was too young, but I doubt I'll see anything as being as good as the '70's were in this department.
    I used to watch tons of sitcoms when I was younger. But I think they were mostly nineties sitcoms which were often less edgy than the older ones. Perhaps TGIF wrecked it by being a money machine with sanitized white bread "Did I do that?!?" comedy?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Catching "Too Close For Comfort" now, same way as I did ThunderCats.

This one sees a father rent the downstairs apartment to his 2 daughters. It's almost the type you referred to, in that it has a moron unrelated to them, who screws things up. Oh, and I guess the role of the father was Ted Knight's last. That would be this guy, if you didn't recognize him by name: Judge Smails "Well, We're waiting" - YouTube I suppose people tuned in mainly to see how he was going to react to the moron.

Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, it's been a while since I dropped back here. Looks like I missed this revival somewhat, but I'm still lurking. If you want to add me on PSN or XBL, my tag is Cataferal.

I believe I have you added already Nev!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cataferal View Post
    Wow, it's been a while since I dropped back here. Looks like I missed this revival somewhat, but I'm still lurking. If you want to add me on PSN or XBL, my tag is Cataferal.

I believe I have you added already Nev!
    I came back from the hella past and Phaq an I been sort of holding the fort down. Don't be a stranger!!! *crosses fingers that he sees this*.

BTW Phaq, you still living in MA?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As far as I know. Not sure for how much longer though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Did you vote today?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nah, politics bore me.